so why do SX play in d tuning?

Thats mad ill that he dont like em it means he dont need that extra low b to get the ill heavy and low sound we all love (Mesa-Boogie Cab, Vetta II Head [Sound]Engl(Rhythm), [Sound]Bogner(Leads), Dual Rectifier)

russ doesn't use a falsetto voice that much except for on some softer passages (like the very end of the first Candlelight Fantasia verse, or in a winters dream pt 1). All the other high stuff is his head voice (more powerful and natural sounding than falsetto, which is very whispery).

Montu Skhmet said:
Bro I live in New York I speak english you live in canada where the dominant language is french you take french class its like my english class you learn grammer and what not im failing english so im horrible at everything that has to do with it

Actually, Pete, on the Kamelot forum, I talk with alot of people from Canada all the time, and the dominant language depends on where in Canada you live. In the Ontario area, it's mostly English and stuff. Up by Quebec, it's French.

MorphineChild205 said:
What would everyone's opinions be if MJR got a 7-string and Lepond got a 5-string?

That would mean that I'd have to start going through the trouble of tuning down 7 strings instead of changing guitars whenever I want to play a Symphony X songs.

i love seven strings and eight strings. why use only six? caparison is coming out with a seven string.

'why tune to d?' why not? you can tune pretty much however you want to. i'm sure mjr is tuning to what he hears in his head.

keys are considered to have 'absolute character,' meaning d sounds different from e, but it's subtle.

I think tuning to full D tuning (ie. a complete step down) would give you a much higher range of notes you can play. Generally, most guitarists playing rhythm sections aren't going to go within 5 frets of the top end of the fretboard (let's be realistic, eh?) so why not tune down? You've suddenly opened up a whole extra range of notes to play, and you're not really losing anything in the top-end. If playing higher keys becomes awkward, use a capo.

My band actually plays in drop-C standard, as in, it's tuned down a whole step, and then the bottom D string is tuned to C - so CGCFAD or something. It's a really fat, heavy sound. Plus, the sound the guitarist gets out of his amp is just this great rich guitar sound!

Oh yeah, I'm the drummer, I just have a little theory knowledge and work things out in my head from what they tell me!!

Montu Skhmet said:
It's deffinately not for Russel that guy has like a range of 8 octaves on his regular voice add the higher part (forgot the name yet again) andi t like goes up to like 12.
ROTFL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Funny man, really funny.

The higher part is called head voice, and NO ONE can POSSIBLY have an 8 octave vocal range, let alone 12. The average range for a good operatic singer is around 2.5 to 3 octaves.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
If you want heavy take it to t3h next 1337 step: drop C tuning. That's just violent and scares little children! I actually don't know any songs in drop C though... at least can't think of any now. Wait... are you talking about drop d or actual d tuning? WTF? Better be drop D cause it pwns.

Or B Flat Locrian or D double harmonic! I use D double harmonic a lot. Or maybe F Sharp mixolydian double harmonic lol I doubt that exists.

andromeda II=I is all in drop C if i am not mistaken

pat benatar has a 4 octave range which is amazing!

plus i always figured besides for a heavier sound the reason MJR plays in D standard is so he can more easily accomplish his monster vibrato on the harmonics.

MorphineChild205 said:
What would everyone's opinions be if MJR got a 7-string and Lepond got a 5-string?

I have nothing against either as long as the strings are utilized and not for "show", whatever the fuck that means.

The way I see it, Ihsahn and Sammoth (Emperor, and Sammoth in Zyklon and Emperor) used 7 string guitars for Prometheus: The Discipline of Fire and Demise, and they utilized every single string to its full potential to create some of the most technically insane black metal in existence.

At the same time there are bands like Korn and Slipknot, who never touch the extra strings. They should take a lesson from Max Calvera and just get a 4 string guitar.

Depends on the user and the ability of the user to me, really.