So...why don't you like Wreath?

^^ hahaha...been hanging out at opethforum.net?? I haven't seen you post in awhile.

heh well actually I didn't have access to the net for a long time and still have some problems...

but I still browse through this forum once in a while :)

and yeah, Wreath owns :lol:

Haven't we been here before?

Now see here!

Wreath is a good song. Unfortunately, most Opeth songs are great. So, really, Wreath is subpar when compared to the rest of their catalogue. I can think of at least 30 songs that are better.

wreath is alright in places but i just think its a bit disconnected. the vocals and lyrics are great and mikes solo is sweet but theres something about the song that just doesnt click with me.

Im trying to find the reason as to why people don't like this song. It's heavy for pretty much the whole duration of the song. 300% death vocal effort from Mike. Clean vocals are in appropriate places. Mixed perfectly. Standard Opeth length. There is plenty of variety(especially after the 5 min mark). Shared solo's from Peter and Mike. It's hardly as repetitive as some of their other songs. Great lyrics(especially the end).

Im at a lost. They don't play it. No one mentions it(or has it in there favorites :cry: ). Why?
You answered your question before asking it.

Wreath was the first song i learnt to play (guitar) on the deliverence album. IMO, its a great song.

^^ That is whingeing. It was just hyperbole. He was only trying to say that it's really fucking good.

Not whingeing at all. It was facetious, i grant you, but not one ounce of a whinge. I just found it funny that one can apparently do more then even 100% death metal vocals

*smirks*

Well, Wreath ... when I listened to the Deliverance album the first time - starting of with Wreath as it's the first song - I thought "omg, don't know if I can stand that record if the songs really are all 100% heavy". So, I think too that the soft parts are pretty much a must with Opeth otherwise you get completely exhausted. I then went off to explore the Damnation album first ;)

When I came back to Deliverance (the album) later on and took it like one song at a time I realized that Wreath is infact not that bad, more like ... good :). Though, I also had the impression that it is a bit disconnected in that there are certain parts that would fit better to older records. There's even a part that would fit more with Orchid/MR then with the rest of deliverance. (Can't name it at the moment, long since I last listened to Wreath.)

The three songs "Deliverance", "Master's apprentices" and "A fair judgement" are the brilliant pieces on Deliverance for me, BTPISIO doesn't work out, "For absent friends" is nice. "Wreath" is also good, but just doesn't reach the three top songs of that album.

I like it but just find it's one of Opeth's weaker songs - the first riff is a bit lame and it is quite repetetive even for Opeth. Not bad, but will never be their best in my eyes.

Ever noticed how these "why don't people like _____" threads always end with more people claiming to like it than there are for tracks like The Moor.