So yeah, maybe a redundant thread...

Talking Backwards

Senior Citizen
Oct 5, 2009
Dunno. There's already a "shit all over whatever someone else is listening to if you think it sucks" thread, but I'm not about to spam it up with a bunch of consecutive links. I just introduced myself to a handful of pretty cool bands that I'd never heard of, and assumed many of you probably haven't either.

Argus (Kinda like Twisted Tower Dire meets Jag Panzer, but Doomier and the vocals are to die for)

Leprous (If you like some prog bands, but not most; reminds me almost of something Conception could have morphed into)

Battle Beast (Can't describe how cheesy and 80's \m/ this is)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al-mU6D6ed4&feature=related[/ame]

Arg...was hoping that it would just stay in link form. I didn't want a page full of embedded videos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, while I do like you, OP, I have to be blunt here.

It baffles my mind how someone could enjoy such redundant music. I mean, we've heard this all before. Prog is my favorite genre of metal along with folk, but only when the artist are doing progressive things. This is trite, formulaic, and so very soulless. And that would be fine if any of it had tasty riffs, which none of it does. Even the guitar work is boring.

So with uninteresting riffs, generic vocals, non-existent atmosphere, and formulaic songwriting, what do we have here?

And all that is aside from the fact that it's cheesy as hell. I know this is irrelevant since most metal is cheesy in some form or another, and I AM biased against power metal, but come on man... Not a single one of those songs did anything for me.

To each their own. Just my two cents.

Now, while I do like you, OP, I have to be blunt here.

It baffles my mind how someone could enjoy such redundant music.

That's kind of how I feel about most Death and Black bands. :D
Anyway, doesn't really matter if you like them or not; at least you've heard them to have an opinion.

It doesn't, actually, because I listen to every genre of music on the planet. (Except Raggaeton)

The problem with metal, is it hasn't made any effort to reinvent itself in many years. Sure, we have the avant garde bands, but hey, that isn't really metal. As opposed to synthesized/computer made music, which has endless possibilities, when restricted to guitars and the occasional keyboards, there's only so much you can do.

This is why I love ICS Vortex's new album. He took chances. He explored many different genres and ideas. He made a weird album that didn't sound like anything ever made before.

I mean hell, bands like Arcturus and to a lesser extent Borknagar, I don't even consider metal at all.

The problem with metal, is it hasn't made any effort to reinvent itself in many years. Sure, we have the avant garde bands, but hey, that isn't really metal.

Wait, what?? You're saying the problem with metal is that it hasn't tried to re-create itself, but the bands that do try aren't really metal anyways? That doesn't really make any sense.

Metal has not tried hard enough to become Ska or Reggae. But it's getting there!

Metal is fine. Plenty of bands have either tried or succeeded in pushing the envelope. There are thousands of bands you've never heard of, so I'd suggest downloading more frequently to expand your horizons. I'll give you a link to the best torrent site on the internet if you want. It's a goldmine; has everything. Or dig into the deepest recesses of youtube and you'll find all kinds of cool stuff (like OP did). I still need to hear that Vortex album

Wow I really dig Argus, especially the singer. He's like a cross between the singer from Solitude Aeturnus and black album-era James Hetfield. The music is pretty cool as well...a bit stoner doomy but not boring like many stoner bands are. I luv mae sum doom, ya know. The opening riff to the first song wasn't too impressive, as it reminded me a bit too much of old Iron Maiden/NWOBHM...not that there's anything wrong with it, just a little dated.

Going to listen to the others now...

I'm noticing that while there is always something interesting to listen to in metal, there is some really good ambient rock going on these days, as well as some interesting pop. In fact, I've discovered more interesting ambient stuff than metal. I discovered this band last night while watching Rocktv, and the video is really, really cool and lends itself perfectly to the song. Check out this video, Max...you'll dig it I think.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWMqgeIDJs8&feature=relmfu[/ame]

Also I've been listening to this band for about a year and I'm still addicted to them.