So yeah, maybe a redundant thread...

I listened to Load about 2 weeks ago. I've always thought it's a great album. The songs are enjoyable and good, some of the lyrics a little bit stupid, but overall it's fun to listen to. I still say they should have changed their name before putting it out, though.

Until it Sleeps is a really memorable song, you know what it is from the very first note. The House Jack Built is also a standout for me, I love the verses and talkbox solo. Load and ReLoad are fun albums, but it's a totally different band than the one I fell in love with as a kid.

I've never really given Load a fair chance. I always defend it, because artists shoudl have the freedom to do whatever the hell they want. But... Ain't My Bitch. That's way too much for me. :lol:

I think I'm the only person who likes St. Anger. Not a LOT, but a HELL of a lot more than Death Magnetic. :fu:

Now I don't feel so eccentric (i.e. not Troo!) for enjoying both Until it Sleeps as well as The House Jack Built. I also don't mind Fuel, but I consider it more of a fast food song.

This isn't actually what I was talking about, but just found it and thought it was funny.
Gimme food, gimme fries, gimme salad on the side.

I agree, but you know how fickle and contrary people can be. I never really cared if a band was playing something that was not in the same style as what they had done before; if I thought it was a good song, then it was just a good song.

However, if you were to tell me that you greatly appreciated scatophilia, and I said that you suck--who's the dildo now, hmmm?

Chris, how old are you, btw? You can't be but a few years older than me. Your account of what Metallica meant to you as a kid is virtually the same as mine. I drew that logo EVERYWHERE, I even painted it across the ceiling of my bedroom in black paint. My parents weren't stoked on it, but being former hippies, I think they "understood" :lol:

I remember all nighters watching Binge and Purge. I learned every little nuance Hetfield added to the songs on those shows. I could sing along with all of them and recite his jokes along with him and I was basically obsessed with that guy and band. I used to cut all the photos out of the old metal mags and make collages to put in the cover sleeves of my notebooks. I had one for every member haha.

I miss caring so much about music :

I'll be 33 next week.

I remember saving my money for months, all the way from Christmas, to buy the Year and a Half in the Life of...VHS tapes around April or so...I think this was about 1994. They had been out for a while but I never had enough money because they were expensive and I had to take care of other things. I remember going to the mall to pick it up in the record store and then going to a movie right after with my friends...I think it was Billy Madison. All I could think of during the entire movie were those tapes sitting in my S-10 pickup outside, just waiting for me. I wanted the movie to hurry up and be over so I could race home and watch it. I think I was 16.

I got home about midnight and stayed up until like 5 in the morning, even though I had things to do the following day...I didn't care.

My entire room was one giant collage of everything Metallica, most of it focused on Hetfield. I bought all the mags I could with Metallica stuff in them so I could rip em out and put em up in my room...this went on until 2000 or so, even in the military. I've got a photo I'll upload of my messy dorm room in Alaska with my wall completely covered. There were also AIC and other stuff on there but mostly Metallica.

Metallica was a magical band for a lot of people. I'm sure this is how our parents felt about the Beatles, although in a much more innocent way. I wanted to fucking eat James' explorer guitar. Like you, I memorized EVERY SINGLE LINE Hetfield said in the live shows, both on Binge and Purge (which I bought in '96) and especially all his cool interviews on A Year and a Half..., like (and I'm reciting this from memory):

"What do you think about having a cameraman follow you everywhere?"

"FUCKERRRRSSSSS!!!!! Ah well, you know...you're laying down this heavy, kickass riff that you'll probably forget, or never play AS GOOD again and he trips over your guitar chord." :lol:

Or when they're playing Moscow on that vid and they get to the bridge of Harvester of Sorrow, and the entire band stops. James looks around, smiles, hocks a loogie into the mic and spits it out, and like a demon escaping from his gaping maw, screams: "AAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWLL HAVE SAID THEAH PRAHAHS!!!!!!!!"

I still trip out over that even to this day.

Or the part where they're recording the black album and James says quite possibly the funniest thing I've ever heard, in response to Lars asking him to sing better: "My throat is really fucked up right now...buddy...pal...I wouldn't ask you to do a drum roll if your arm fell off." :lol:

I suppose I could sit here and say that I long for THAT Metallica, but I don't know if I long for them or long to have that FEELING about them again. I'm not entirely sure even if Metallica were to come out with an album better than their best albums would I ever feel the same about them again. Of course I would sing their praises, bang my head, and learn all their songs and play it over and over again, but I don't think I'd be putting up any more posters of them in my house. I think that is something we lost and we'll never get back.

But then again, do we WANT it back? Would it ruin our wonderful nostalgia that we have for them? Because right now we can always say that after Load they sorta went downhill, even though their latest offering was a smidgen better...although not much. By doing this, we insulate the black album and everything before it in a tomb, untouchable by anything else. Were they to shatter that image we have of them, I don't know if it would necessarily a good thing. Do I want new, killer Metallica? Of course, but I'm not sure that I want something that's like their past, either.

They're always saying how they're always looking to forge ahead and do their own thing, and that's what I've always loved about them. However, I don't think that anything after Load is worthy of being called "forging ahead" (with the exception of a couple of songs from Reload, like Fixxxer). I guess at this point I simply want a GREAT album from Metallica, whether it's thrash metal or heavy rock...something like what AIC gave us with BGWTB, something that can stand on its own as an album that doesn't sound like anything they've done before yet is equally good as their past albums and even surpassing one or two.

Ah well. One can dream.

I've never really given Load a fair chance. I always defend it, because artists shoudl have the freedom to do whatever the hell they want. But... Ain't My Bitch. That's way too much for me. :lol:

I think I'm the only person who likes St. Anger. Not a LOT, but a HELL of a lot more than Death Magnetic. :fu:

My drummer likes St. Anger a lot, actually. He's not a huge metal fan and grew up on hardcore and punk, but he knows metal. He also grew up on Morbid Angel, Death, Quicksand, etc. so he knows what's out there, he just doesn't care. He likes St. Anger because it's so raw.

EDIT: My AIC cover band drummer, that is. My drummer from Skylab is a gigantic Metallica fan. I've been trying to get him to sell me his black Hetfield ESP Explorer...THE ORIGINAL MODEL, THE ONE BEFORE GIBSON SUED ESP FOR COPYING THE BODY STYLE. I've wanted that guitar for about 20 years.

Metallica was one of the first bands that introduced me to metal and I still love to this day. I also have so much respect for James Hetfied because of his part in the Absent documentary and listening to a recent interview with Lars on Howard Stern talking about how James grew up a loner with zero confidence in himself. He is not some phony frontman who acts cool for the cameras, he is someone I can respect that happens to be the frontman of one of the greatest metal bands of all time.

I'll be 33 next week.

I remember saving my money for months, all the way from Christmas, to buy the Year and a Half in the Life of...VHS tapes around April or so...I think this was about 1994. They had been out for a while but I never had enough money because they were expensive and I had to take care of other things. I remember going to the mall to pick it up in the record store and then going to a movie right after with my friends...I think it was Billy Madison. All I could think of during the entire movie were those tapes sitting in my S-10 pickup outside, just waiting for me. I wanted the movie to hurry up and be over so I could race home and watch it. I think I was 16.

I got home about midnight and stayed up until like 5 in the morning, even though I had things to do the following day...I didn't care.

My entire room was one giant collage of everything Metallica, most of it focused on Hetfield. I bought all the mags I could with Metallica stuff in them so I could rip em out and put em up in my room...this went on until 2000 or so, even in the military. I've got a photo I'll upload of my messy dorm room in Alaska with my wall completely covered. There were also AIC and other stuff on there but mostly Metallica.

Metallica was a magical band for a lot of people. I'm sure this is how our parents felt about the Beatles, although in a much more innocent way. I wanted to fucking eat James' explorer guitar. Like you, I memorized EVERY SINGLE LINE Hetfield said in the live shows, both on Binge and Purge (which I bought in '96) and especially all his cool interviews on A Year and a Half..., like (and I'm reciting this from memory):

"What do you think about having a cameraman follow you everywhere?"

"FUCKERRRRSSSSS!!!!! Ah well, you know...you're laying down this heavy, kickass riff that you'll probably forget, or never play AS GOOD again and he trips over your guitar chord." :lol:

Or when they're playing Moscow on that vid and they get to the bridge of Harvester of Sorrow, and the entire band stops. James looks around, smiles, hocks a loogie into the mic and spits it out, and like a demon escaping from his gaping maw, screams: "AAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWLL HAVE SAID THEAH PRAHAHS!!!!!!!!"

I still trip out over that even to this day.

Or the part where they're recording the black album and James says quite possibly the funniest thing I've ever heard, in response to Lars asking him to sing better: "My throat is really fucked up right now...buddy...pal...I wouldn't ask you to do a drum roll if your arm fell off." :lol:

I suppose I could sit here and say that I long for THAT Metallica, but I don't know if I long for them or long to have that FEELING about them again. I'm not entirely sure even if Metallica were to come out with an album better than their best albums would I ever feel the same about them again. Of course I would sing their praises, bang my head, and learn all their songs and play it over and over again, but I don't think I'd be putting up any more posters of them in my house. I think that is something we lost and we'll never get back.

But then again, do we WANT it back? Would it ruin our wonderful nostalgia that we have for them? Because right now we can always say that after Load they sorta went downhill, even though their latest offering was a smidgen better...although not much. By doing this, we insulate the black album and everything before it in a tomb, untouchable by anything else. Were they to shatter that image we have of them, I don't know if it would necessarily a good thing. Do I want new, killer Metallica? Of course, but I'm not sure that I want something that's like their past, either.

They're always saying how they're always looking to forge ahead and do their own thing, and that's what I've always loved about them. However, I don't think that anything after Load is worthy of being called "forging ahead" (with the exception of a couple of songs from Reload, like Fixxxer). I guess at this point I simply want a GREAT album from Metallica, whether it's thrash metal or heavy rock...something like what AIC gave us with BGWTB, something that can stand on its own as an album that doesn't sound like anything they've done before yet is equally good as their past albums and even surpassing one or two.

Ah well. One can dream.

Literally less than no one is going to read this whole post.

I've never been ashamed to say that I love both Load and ReLoad, though some tracks are pure shyte (Ain't My Bitch, 2x4, Fuel, Bad Seed, ...). They're not metal albums, true, but there's some brilliant music on there too. Bleeding Me, Until It Sleeps, The House Jack Built, Fixxxer and The Outlaw Torn are brilliant pieces of music, for instance.

However, if you were to tell me that you greatly appreciated scatophilia, and I said that you suck--who's the dildo now, hmmm?

There are always limitations to anything. ICP can't be defended, either. :Spin:

My drummer likes St. Anger a lot, actually.

That's pretty strange. The drummer likes St. Anger. :lol:

I've been listening to this a lot lately, just to hear James super clear. I love his voice like none other...

Last edited by a moderator:
If I had kept my Jr. High School notebooks, I'm sure I'd have seen Metallica logos all over it, myself. Seems to be a trope, here!
You and everyone else. I had Metallica, Megadeth, and Testament logos drawn all over my notebooks and things in those days.