So yeah, maybe a redundant thread...

I can't listen to Slayer or Megadeth, or Anthrax, because the vocals are shit.

As opposed to early Nevermore, Testament, Shatter Messiah, among others, who can sing, while making better thrash than the aforementioned bands.

Man, back in the day Metallica was fucking awesome. They were beyond awesome. They were the epitome of everything that was metal. The Seattle concert from Binge and Purge is hands down the greatest live music event in the history of metal. The show just drips with energy. The crowd was fucking insane (probably quite literally), the band was on fire and the sound was just perfect. I can't even imagine what it would have been like to have been there.

As opposed to early Nevermore, Testament, Shatter Messiah, among others, who can sing, while making better thrash than the aforementioned bands.

You should check out Sound of White Noise by Anthrax. I think you'd really like it, dude. John Bush is a great singer and that was his shining hour. I'm recommending this not because I like it but because I truly think you'd be into it, seeing as how I haven't steered you wrong before, hehe. His vocals were very dark and gritty on that album, very AIC-like. Although I like their new album with Joey Belladonna, the "nearly" original singer, I think John Bush is their best frontman. They had him from like 1992-2003.

Metallica years ago before they got huge asked John Bush to sing for them but he turned them down. Now that Hetfield's voice is shot, I would really, REALLY like them to give him a second chance. A Metallica album with John Bush on vocals? THAT would fucking rule.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWpXGoY2VnI&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCB6bXc7OU&feature=related[/ame]

This is one of the best songs they've ever done, imho. It's dark, slow, and a bit creepy.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1_ahKSUj7M&feature=related[/ame]

And then there's the inimitable Hy Pro Glo

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lt6AFSs-zw&feature=related[/ame]

These are all from Sound of White Noise.

But imho this is THE best song Anthrax ever wrote. Everything from the riffs to the vocals to the dynamics just slay me every time, 20 years on...

Around 5:15:

"Love what I kill, kill what I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE!!!!!...LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE!!!!....LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE!!!!...LOOOOOOOOOOOVE!!!!!"

Last edited by a moderator:

Mostly agree about Slayer, but MegaDave is just something you get used to. Anthrax doesn't have shit vocals either unless you're talking about Bush era, and he's actually pretty damn good on at least two of them (possibly more, but I just don't listen to the other albums).

Never heard of Shatter Messiah. Dunno, they actually remind me a bit of a more polished Twelfth Gate (i.e. second rate Nevermore) with vocals that sound like Dio combined with whatever vocalist Exodus has on hand at the time.

Idolater is pretty fucking great.

It doesn’t hurt my feelings at all to be compared to a brilliant fuckin’ band like that and a brilliant guitar player; he’s literally one of the greatest fuckin’ guitar players in the world.” — Curran Murphy, on Nevermore and Jeff Loomis.

“People say, ‘oh, it sounds like Nevermore,’” recounts Shatter Messiah leader/guitarist Curran Murphy (ex-Nevermore, ex-Annihilator) about his band’s familiar sound on 2006’s Never To Play The Servant and 2007’s God Burns Like Flesh (both released on German label Dockyard 1). “Of course it sounds like that,” he continues. “If you add it up I think I’m the only guitar player that has been in [Nevermore] longer than every [other] guitar player they’ve ever had. For The Politics Of Ecstasy I was in the band for about a year, for Dead Heart In A Dead World it was like two and a half years… Nobody has had the [Jeff] Loomis time that I’ve had where literally we would sit for 10-14 hours a day playing guitar together and working on riffs. As a band, they’re fucking incredible. I worked really hard to play their music correctly and it became a part of how I play and how I write. It’s not intentional. And I wouldn’t have played in the band for as long as I did if I didn’t like how he plays and if it didn’t make me a better guitar player. It’s ingrained; it’s a part of my style. It doesn’t hurt my feelings at all to be compared to a brilliant fuckin’ band like that and a brilliant guitar player; he’s literally one of the greatest fuckin’ guitar players in the world.”

What the hell is he talking about? Did he help Jeff with TPOE and then return to writing riffs with him after Calvert left? I've never seen him anywhere in the credits for either of those albums. Is he just talking about being a touring guitarist?

But imho this is THE best song Anthrax ever wrote. Everything from the riffs to the vocals to the dynamics just slay me every time, 20 years on...

The great thing about that album is that anyone can pick a song to gush over without making people scratch their heads. That's not my favorite, but it's pretty close.

Mostly agree about Slayer, but MegaDave is just something you get used to. Anthrax doesn't have shit vocals either unless you're talking about Bush era, and he's actually pretty damn good on at least two of them (possibly more, but I just don't listen to the other albums).

Never heard of Shatter Messiah. Dunno, they actually remind me a bit of a more polished Twelfth Gate (i.e. second rate Nevermore) with vocals that sound like Dio combined with whatever vocalist Exodus has on hand at the time.

Idolater is pretty fucking great.

Shatter Messiah = band ft. Curran Murphy

and MegaDave came up with some incredible vocal lines in the early 90s

wat

John Bush is an awesome singer.

Finish reading what I said after that. I know he's an awesome vocalist (or was anyway), but he's also done some truly awful vocals for Anthrax as well.

and that other thing's just boring old eighties stuff

I don't particularly care for that band either. I only posted it because I know there are still some people on this board that dig that style. For me, it's something of a novelty, but I can't seriously listen to it again and again. Unlike the other two bands I posted. :lol:

I wouldn't say Bush has done awful vocals as much as I would say Anthrax has done awful albums with Bush as the singer. Most of the lyrics and such were written by Scott and Charlie anyway...they've never really let Bush have free reign anyway.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pTRXboRhyI&feature=related[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W_S0h3xtmw&feature=related[/ame]

:yuk::yuk::yuk:

It almost sounds like he has laryngitis.

Yes, but that album is a cover album of old stuff. Those songs were originally done by Joey Belladonna...it's not even Bush's style of writing, much less singing. That's like Pearl Jam covering Jesus Christ Pose from Soundgarden...two different singers with two different styles, of course it's gonna sound weird.

Right. I already mentioned elsewhere that it may have just been a matter of Anthrax having to write music to fit his voice, but those just sound like complete shit. Even if it wasn't tailored specifically to him, the SOS era Bush would have sounded way better. Hell, even the SOWN John would have been better than this. It's like he's lost all of his range (see: Chris Cornell) and is trying to hit the same notes anyway.

Exhibit A:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, at this point he's much older. As you get older your voice changes and gets deeper...you can't fight it. I still don't think it's that bad, though.

Chris Cornell had throat surgery as well, which fucked up his range too.

Never knew about Chris having surgery prior to joining Audioslave. Drinking and smoking were always cited as the reasons for his decline. And I know your voice is still changing as you grow older...that fact was not lost on me. However, it doesn't change that much unless you were just singing incorrectly this entire time, or do something else to trash your voice.

Eh, guess Chris just didn't know how to sing without damaging himself. This explains everything!

http://www.dallasobserver.com/2000-03-02/music/chris-cornell/