So yeah, maybe a redundant thread...

Anything comparable to James Hetfield is worth a look in my book.

NotSureIfSerious.jpg

Wow I really dig Argus, especially the singer. He's like a cross between the singer from Solitude Aeturnus and black album-era James Hetfield. The music is pretty cool as well...a bit stoner doomy but not boring like many stoner bands are. I luv mae sum doom, ya know. The opening riff to the first song wasn't too impressive, as it reminded me a bit too much of old Iron Maiden/NWOBHM...not that there's anything wrong with it, just a little dated.

Going to listen to the others now...

I noticed a few strains of Rob Lowe, but thought that it was probably more of the music that gave it that SA feel. I was also going to be pretty suprised if you didn't end up finding something about the first band to like. :)

Dude, Hetfield in his prime was a god frontman. Nobody commanded such power on stage with just his voice.
Agreed completely. Master of Puppets through the Black album era, Hetfield was untouchable as a frontman. No one was better than him. NO ONE.

IMO, a lotta people were better. Maybe even most! I dig early metallica of course, but I've frequently thought that the vocals were one of the weaker points (but who gives a shit about the vocals in thrash metal).

His voice is what set them apart, imo. Especially live.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that brings back memories. I remember when Metallica were literally gods for me...I completely worshiped them for a good ten years or so.

It's kinda sad that I haven't found that same passion with another band. Don't get me wrong, I have loads of bands that I adore and that give me that warm fuzzy when I listen to them, but no one hit me like Metallica did.

I remember sitting in class drawing Metallica logos all over my notebooks and stuff, drawing Hetfield's guitar and daydreaming what it would be like to be able to have it and play it (this was before I started playing), talking about them with my friends, not being able to focus on schoolwork due to having their music in my head. I remember taping their performance on the American Music Awards back in like 92 or 93 and watching it over and over and over again, and then I got the Year and a Half in the Life of Metallica videos...stayed up all night watching them. A few years later I got Binge and Purge and wore them out too.

I liked Load and still do, actually. I really haven't liked much after that, but Load wasn't a metal album or anything...it was almost like a side project for them, which was my opinion at the time. I could get into it but I always went back to their early stuff. My mom wouldn't let me listen to them when I was a kid so I secretly taped their songs off the radio...eventually she broke down and gave in, realizing there was no hope for her metalhead son.

I really miss the hunger I had in those days...I haven't felt like that since I was about 17 towards any other band. I had Slayer and Anthrax and Testament and Pantera and Megadeth, and truth be told Megadeth influenced me more than Metallica when I finally picked up a guitar, but nothing to this day made me crazy like Metallica. Hetfield made me wanna be a rhythm player but Mustaine made me wanna play better. After years of playing, I've realized I'm still a Hetfield-type of player/frontman.

You're so lucky, man. In the early 90's we had pretty much only 5 or 6 bands that weren't completely underground that would sometimes get played on the radio. The internet hadn't even gotten off the ground yet, much less downloading music. Death metal and black metal were still really, really underground; I remember having The Bleeding from CC and thinking it was the heaviest thing I had ever heard and that there wasn't anything else on earth like it. We had to literally scour the earth and find the heaviest metal mags we could to just expose ourselves to new music. Now it's all at your fingertips, and I think that's great. It has made people complacent but the benefits outweigh the down side by a long shot.

I remember going through the T-shirt pages in mags like Hit Parader (when they did metal stuff) and Metal Edge (this was before Metal Maniacs) and just read the names of bands I had never heard of. That's how I discovered Pantera, actually. I saw CC's Butchered at Birth t-shirt and thought it was fucking out there and cool. In fact, I discovered Nevermore years later in like '98 in some shitty metal mag called Pit that had a cd every month; heard I Am the Dog, went on Amazon, listened to snippets of other songs and went out immediately and bought it. It wasn't too long ago that we were still just blind buying and taking chances on shit we read in magazines or saw on t-shirts.

Same here. No other band mattered to me when I was a teenager.

I went through that phase for about four years, but also listened to Megadeth at the same time. Eventually though Iron Maiden and Kind Diamond's bands took precedence...and then Nevermore.

The band that really opened my eyes to a whole different world of metal was NM and their album DNB. I was forever changed by that album. My Dying Bride and Anathema gave me the push I needed for doom as well. They were all just as influential, even if I never completely obsessed over them.

Greatest memory I have of doom: sitting in my barracks dorm room in Alaska on my first tour of duty from '97 to '00 playing Diablo on my PSX, listening to The Angel and the Dark River from MDB. EPIC.

You're so lucky, man. In the early 90's we had pretty much only 5 or 6 bands that weren't completely underground that would sometimes get played on the radio. The internet hadn't even gotten off the ground yet, much less downloading music.

At least now we finally agree about the 90's and metal, even if indirectly. When all you have to go off of is word of mouth (in a city with ~160k people) and local radio stations that never played anything heavier than Metallica, underground really is underground.

All I had to go off of was Mtv (when it still played videos) and random metal magazines. The bands I ended up listening to more than any other from 90 - 97 was Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Iron Maiden, Mercyful Fate and King Diamond (the last two I was introduced to through a mutual friend who loaned us a tape, and my mind was completely blown).

Hell, the only way I even found out about Nevermore was when I was at a local music store picking up Burnt Offerings and I saw the neat looking logo, then a few weeks later picked up the Judas Priest tribute album where they did the awesome cover of Love Bites and that sealed the deal. I picked up TPoE, and remember my friends saying that they thought all of the songs sounded the same. :lol:

Oh, I actually did have a friend who randomly picked up the first Solitude Aeturnus album. That was an entirely different experience for me as well, and I had that tape on repeat for a few weeks straight.

Agreed completely. Master of Puppets through the Black album era, Hetfield was untouchable as a frontman. No one was better than him. NO ONE.

PERIOD. Wtf, a lot of people were better, BS! His voice, lyrics and presence are unparalleled, ESPECIALLY for a guitar playing singer. There is not one man who's ever been able to stand in comparison to Hetfield in that respect. He's The Rock of all frontmen. :lol: (WAS, was.)

And DW, everything you said about Metallica is exactly how I feel! :kickass:

Hearing their songs is like smelling my old neighborhood. It takes me right back. I've never loved a band as much as them, and probably never will. They made me who I am, and no songs will ever have as much importance to me as a lot of theirs do. Megadeth is a close second, as well. I love Dave, but Hetfield's influence over me musically will always prevail.

God... It's so refreshing to hear people speek intelligently and yet still fondly of Metallica. :Spin:

Chris, how old are you, btw? You can't be but a few years older than me. Your account of what Metallica meant to you as a kid is virtually the same as mine. I drew that logo EVERYWHERE, I even painted it across the ceiling of my bedroom in black paint. My parents weren't stoked on it, but being former hippies, I think they "understood" :lol:

I remember all nighters watching Binge and Purge. I learned every little nuance Hetfield added to the songs on those shows. I could sing along with all of them and recite his jokes along with him and I was basically obsessed with that guy and band. I used to cut all the photos out of the old metal mags and make collages to put in the cover sleeves of my notebooks. I had one for every member haha.

I miss caring so much about music :\

If I had kept my Jr. High School notebooks, I'm sure I'd have seen Metallica logos all over it, myself. Seems to be a trope, here!

Oh, is it metal discovery story time?!

The gateway for me was Iced Earth, having heard about them through some proto-internet AOL chat room for metal music. My Dad happened to be going to Europe for business, and I asked him to get me a CD of theirs while he was over there, as I heard Europe actually had metal CDs. He came back with Something Wicked This Way Comes, which I listened to over and over for about two weeks straight. Then he pulled out Days of Purgatory, which he had bought at the same time but held on to to give me later. I couldn't believe it. So, thanks Dad!

But that was the moment I realized that metal music EXISTS outside of my immediate sphere. That a whole universe of music is created and enjoyed all over the world, and those who spent their time living within the confines of what is presented to them in their every day are completely missing out from the riches that are out there, if you take the time to look.

I stepped out of the cave, threw on my headphones, and never looked back.

I liked Load and still do, actually. I really haven't liked much after that, but Load wasn't a metal album or anything...it was almost like a side project for them, which was my opinion at the time. I could get into it but I always went back to their early stuff.

I tell ya, I threw that on the other day, and it is better than I remember. The songs are a little cheesy--especially Hetfield's occasionally ridiculous vocal mannerisms--but they're incredibly well-written, and the production, the actual sounds on the record, are fucking phenomenal.

If nothing else, Load is professional.

Ready to get nostalgic?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHVv7Mz2_Bo&ob=av3n[/ame]