Social Networks; The Realm of Vacuous Mingling

basically fuck the youth of today

i'm of the last generation that was even semi ok

Facebook Inc. (FB) was sued over allegations it systematically intercepts its users private messages on the social network and profits by sharing the data with advertisers and marketers.

When users compose messages that include links to a third-party website, Facebook scans the content of the message, follows the link and searches for information to profile the message-sender’s Web activity, violating the Electronic Communications Privacy Act and California privacy and unfair competition laws, according to the suit.

The practice compromises privacy and undermines Facebook’s promise of “unprecedented” security options for its messaging function, two Facebook users said in the complaint filed in federal court in San Jose, California.

Lawsuits against Internet companies and social networks are multiplying as use of the Web balloons and users become more aware of how much personal information they’re revealing, often without their knowledge. Google Inc. (GOOG), Yahoo! Inc. and LinkedIn Corp. (LNKD) also are facing accusations of intercepting communications for their profit at the expense of users or non-users.
‘Invasive Scanning’

The scanning “is a mechanism for Facebook to surreptitiously gather data in an effort to improve its marketing algorithms and increase its ability to profit from data about Facebook users,” Michael Sobol, an attorney for the plaintiffs, wrote in the Dec. 30 complaint.
:Spin::Spin::Spin:

Jebus christ, nicely done.

I hate Facebutt, but feel compelled to keep it. My band does all its shows and communications through there, and I have work shit to handle all the time. I actually hate it for socializing, but I don't really use it for that anyhow, so why complain? Well, it is my only window to peek into Aurel's soul these days, and he is quite the Transylvanian Legend, so for that alone, it is worth it.

RE: advertising: eliminate TV + Adblock = healthy living

The only advertisements I ever see are in the daily Playboy dumpreading, and those are for things I don't care about and/or feature half-naked women. Great success!

EDIT: Hate is a strong word. I have a vague distaste for all things Facebutt.

LWV.jpg

I figure this belongs here. This one is for you, Jerry.

(CNN) -- You don't have to be strictly a man or a woman on Facebook anymore.

In a nod to the "it's complicated" sexual identities of many of its users, the social network on Thursday added a third "custom" gender option for people's profiles. In addition to Male or Female, Facebook now lets U.S. users choose among some 50 additional options such as "transgender," "cisgender," "gender fluid," "intersex" and "neither."

Users also now have the ability to choose the pronoun they'd like to be referred to publicly: he/his, she/her, or the gender-neutral they/their.

"When you come to Facebook to connect with the people, causes, and organizations you care about, we want you to feel comfortable being your true, authentic self," Facebook said in a post on its Diversity page.

"An important part of this is the expression of gender, especially when it extends beyond the definitions of just 'male' or 'female,' " the post continued. "So today, we're proud to offer a new custom gender option to help you better express your own identity on Facebook."

Facebook said it worked with a group of leading lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender advocacy organizations to come up with the new gender categories.

"Facebook users from across the country have been asking for the ability to reflect their gender accurately, and today Facebook showed they have been listening," said Allison Palmer, a former GLAAD vice president, who worked on the project with Facebook.

To edit your gender status (or other personal information), Facebook offers these instructions:

Go to your Timeline (which we sometimes refer to as your profile).

Click Update Info at the bottom of your cover photo.

Click Edit in the top right of the section you'd like to change. (The new gender options are only accessible within an autocomplete drop-down menu, so you have to begin typing to see them appear.)

Agender
Androgyne
Androgynous
Bigender
Cis
Cisgender
Cis Female
Cis Male
Cis Man
Cis Woman
Cisgender Female
Cisgender Male
Cisgender Man
Cisgender Woman
Deafheaven
Female to Male
FTM
Gender Fluid
Gender Nonconforming
Gender Disgrace
Gender Questioning
Gender Variant
Genderqueer
Intersex
Male to Female
MTF
Neither
Neutrois
Non-binary
Other
Pangender
Proud of Me Daddy
Trans
Trans*
Trans Fat
Trans Female
Trans* Female
Trans Male
Trans* Male
Trans Man
Trans* Man
Trans Person
Trans* Person
Trans Woman
Trans* Woman
Transfeminine
Transgender
Transgender Female
Transgender Male
Transgender Man
Transgender Person
Transgender Woman
Transmasculine
Transsexual
Transsexual Female
Transsexual Male
Transsexual Man
Transsexual Midget
Transsexual Person
Transsexual Woman
Two-Spirit

:lol::erk:

Has there ever in history been such a self-important people? Ok the nazis were pretty self-important but they actually did lots of shit like take over neighboring countries. I mean has there ever been a culture that was so self-important AND did absolutely nothing all day but talk about themselves? If so, what happened to them?

Have any of you ever posted a question on a company's Facebook page only to have your friends see it and leave their own comments that show they didn't actually read your post & and that they don't know what they're even talking about? This shit is annoying. And Facebook is retarted for even putting that on my friends' feeds. GAWD. :bah:

*this is referring to my question about shoe polish, in case any of y'all that are my Facebook friends saw it. NAD should jump in and save the post with some kind of epic beer-induced comment. :loco: