solo - feedback please!

anacrucix

aka Shredcaptain Matt
Jan 22, 2007
United Kingdom
Normally in my band I tend to get the rest of the band to play a chord sequence for about a minute or so, and I improvise a solo over that and it ends up being different everytime, sometimes quite bland and uninspired- so i've decided it might be an idea to WRITE my solos, and to put specific points in the songs for these aforementioned solos instead of just wanking all over other bits of the songs! Anyway, I would greatly appreciate a little bit of feedback on my attempt at a written solo!

http://www.myspace.com/mattmakesmusic

It's a bit too cut-and-paste for my liking...no real flow to it IMO. It's good that you tried to use space, because most people unfortunately don't, but the the ideas don't gel with each other to my ears. The first idea you played was good, personally I'd take another stab at it working off of that in a more coherent way, if you catch my drift. It would also help if the phrasing wasn't so symmetrical. In terms of execution, it's a bit messy in spots, mainly little things with your vibrato and intonation and a few small technical issues. One of the best remedies for that is to just listen to your guitar solo isolated from everything else on the recording...that's the easiest way to hear some of those things. At the very least, it's definitely on it's way. The rest of the recording sounds good.:)

It's a bit too cut-and-paste for my liking...no real flow to it IMO. It's good that you tried to use space, because most people unfortunately don't, but the the ideas don't gel with each other to my ears. The first idea you played was good, personally I'd take another stab at it working off of that in a more coherent way, if you catch my drift. It would also help if the phrasing wasn't so symmetrical. In terms of execution, it's a bit messy in spots, mainly little things with your vibrato and intonation and a few small technical issues. One of the best remedies for that is to just listen to your guitar solo isolated from everything else on the recording...that's the easiest way to hear some of those things. At the very least, it's definitely on it's way. The rest of the recording sounds good.:)

mmmm listening back i think i hear what you mean with the intonation- it does sound a tiny bit sharp in places! espescially the first couple of notes- i think i'd probably agree with the messiness, although thats not a huge issue at the moment as this is a new track which we havent started rehearsing to play live yet- so making it tight will come with practice, this is a sort of in-band demo if you like so we all know what we are playing everywhere!

When you say the first idea is good do you mean the long held note into the legato run?

my main worry was that it sounds a little disjointed and contrived because it ends up sounding like a bit of a call and response between the rest of the band and my lead guitar

By the first idea I just mean the first few notes (before the legato run).

The call and response thing isn't a bad idea, but I don't know that what you are soloing over is contributing enough to the dialogue, if you catch my drift. Leaving space is a good idea and you shouldn't abandon it, but I'd really reccomend changing up your phrase lengths so they aren't so symmetrical. It'll breathe better that way and wont sound so disjointed. If you really want to keep some sort of call and response thing in it, maybe try doing it with yourself. This Jon Finn video is a great example of how to incorporate that kind of idea (stylistic differences from what you are doing aside:)):

The way he changes up his phrase lengths is also something to take note of.

Last edited by a moderator:
That first lick.. I heard it and I was like.. Woah this is gonna sound rocky and cool cause the way it sounds and the tone is pretty nice. But then, it stopped and was like..... TAPPTAPYTAPOTYTAUO and I was like.. huh. I liked the middle sections and the way you ended it though. Maybe if you flow that main piece and don't cut it up or something. Keep it flowing.

I have no right to critique your playing abilities, they far excede mine. I think Meeds gave a decent honest eval. It was a very short fill and seemed to conclude at the last three rests somewhat "dry" and the three runs were somewhat mechanical and as Meeds said symmetrical. I might look for an odder note to conclude a few of these on with a bit of expressive melodic "feel" before going "shred" again. Still very good start that as you said would smooth out and perhaps gain more character with time and rehearsal.

Hats off for the great work you and your band are doing

That first lick.. I heard it and I was like.. Woah this is gonna sound rocky and cool cause the way it sounds and the tone is pretty nice. But then, it stopped and was like..... TAPPTAPYTAPOTYTAUO and I was like.. huh. I liked the middle sections and the way you ended it though. Maybe if you flow that main piece and don't cut it up or something. Keep it flowing.

so you don't mind the tapping itself, but it takes you buy surprise?

I have no right to critique your playing abilities, they far excede mine. I think Meeds gave a decent honest eval. It was a very short fill and seemed to conclude at the last three rests somewhat "dry" and the three runs were somewhat mechanical and as Meeds said symmetrical. I might look for an odder note to conclude a few of these on with a bit of expressive melodic "feel" before going "shred" again. Still very good start that as you said would smooth out and perhaps gain more character with time and rehearsal.

Hats off for the great work you and your band are doing

thanks for the kind words and advice man!

Some of that Jon Finn stuff leaves a lot to be desired...he's hitting some sour stuff in there.

I agree with a lot of what Meedles is saying...the phrasing is a bit awkward...the execution is a tad rough...but overall really not bad...hey, you're 21...you have a lot of time to develop...one day it will hit you and it will all come together...most importantly, love it, have fun with it and keep doing it!