Someone explain the subgenres of Electronic music

Kenneth R.

Cináed
Oct 28, 2004
Hallways of Always
Right, so I know generally what Electronic music is, and I enjoy a great deal of it, but the genre names are entirely lost on me.

What's the difference between different subsets and can they be described with example bands/DJs? Stylistically also...

Umm in regard to what exactly?

Im a massive fan of Drum n Bass, Breaks, Dub step, Hip hop, trip hop etc. so I could be of some help?
House/trance etc aren't really my thing though, they are basically the straight forward onst onst beat, 4/4 etc. every kick drum in on the beat as apposed to dub step, DnB, breaks where its on the off beat every 2nd time.
Pendulum for example play Drum n Bass and some breaks, hence onst ka.... onst..ka type beat.
N type plays Dub step, it has the same sorta beat as DnB but is basically half as fast, darker often, and has more wub wub type electronic sounds.
House music/trance music I dont really care much for so I wont be too much help there other than advise you to stay away from it hahaha, basically in metal terms, the equivalent of Linkin Park/Nu metal etc:D

^this is along the lines of what I'm looking for. Wikipedia blows in this particular field of learning. I'm not really looking for recommendations per se, (I dig FSOL, Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, etc...) I want to know where the branches of the tree go and not be a total dunce about what people are talking about when they say words like "acid dub" etc.

More!!

^this is along the lines of what I'm looking for. Wikipedia blows in this particular field of learning. I'm not really looking for recommendations per se, (I dig FSOL, Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, etc...) I want to know where the branches of the tree go and not be a total dunce about what people are talking about when they say words like "acid dub" etc.

More!!

Well take Drum n Bass for example (my fav)
Squarepsuher are kinda Jazzy drum n bass with a bit of Avarte Garde.
DnB is just like metal really, lotsa different sub-genres.
Drum n Bass eveolved from Acid House in the 80's which was basically weird house music with different drum patterns to the norm. At first it was influenced a lot by reggae and "jungle" beats and was called Jungle music at first but eventually it evolved into DnB.
Drum n Bass is all about the back (or break) beat where as House is always bang on the beat.
I can recommend you some really dark and heavy Drum n Bass if your interested.
Nice to see your getting into Squarepusher & Aphex but there is a whole lot more out there.

Heres some sub genres of Drum n Bass:-

Jump Up - Basically party dance floor drum n bass with lotsa happy synths going on and hip hop influnced beats.

Liquid - Mellow relaxing trippy atmospheric drum n bass, more chillout stuff, basically the opposite to Jump up.

Tech - Basically the same as tech Death metal. heavy and technical and normally dark, my favourite kind!

Clown step - This is basically really cheesy stuff that most "real" drum n bass people hate, (kinda like nu metal for metallers)

There is also a whole lot more from Jazzy DnB to Funky DnB.

Basically Drum n Bass is like Jazz in the respect that it has a whole spectrum of styles and sounds and is influenced by so many other styles of music.
I think this is why I love it so much:kickass:

P.S If there is a style with "Acid" tacked ont he start, its basically a weird version of that genre in some respect. I guess its used kinda the same as avante garde is often used or even prog or Phycadelic to an extent..

Apparat, Amon Tobin, Boards of Canada... ftw.

Ok, so acid is simply "fucked up _____". Gotcha. I listen to this shit already I just need a reference for what the hell it is. :lol:

House/trance etc aren't really my thing though, they are basically the straight forward onst onst beat, 4/4 etc.

Although trance is mainly a 4/4 time signature, it is also often is multi tempoed, with tracks progressing as they go on. See Paul Oakenfold, Armin Van Buuren.

Psychadelic trance often incorporates rock style aspects, eg. Infected Mushroom, psytrance from Israel.

Although trance is mainly a 4/4 time signature, it is also often is multi tempoed, with tracks progressing as they go on. See Paul Oakenfold, Armin Van Buuren.

Psychadelic trance often incorporates rock style aspects, eg. Infected Mushroom, psytrance from Israel.

Although this is true, there is no break beat, which is what I love in dance music like Drum n Bass Dub Step etc.

Rocky...could you give us a few examples of Liquid and Tech??? Thanks!

Fuck yea would love to, will only be naming top artists...

Liquid:- Klute (my liquid fav)
DJ Marky (my favourite DJ overall, one of the few DnB artists who scratches)
High Contrast
Commix
Shapeshifter (from New Zealand woohoo, and they play live with real instruments 100%)

Tech:- Diesel Boy
Spor
Black Sun Empire
Nosia
Evol Intent
The Upbeats (another New Zealand act that sometimes plays live instruments)

if you want more examples jsut ask..

Also check out jump up DJS like Andy C, DJ Hype (another scratcher) etc coz they are some of the best in the business.

Fuck yea would love to, will only be naming top artists...

Liquid:- Klute (my liquid fav)
DJ Marky (my favourite DJ overall, one of the few DnB artists who scratches)
High Contrast
Commix
Shapeshifter (from New Zealand woohoo, and they play live with real instruments 100%)

Tech:- Diesel Boy
Spor
Black Sun Empire
Nosia
Evol Intent
The Upbeats (another New Zealand act that sometimes plays live instruments)

if you want more examples jsut ask..

Also check out jump up DJS like Andy C, DJ Hype (another scratcher) etc coz they are some of the best in the business.

Awesome! Thanks!

you should really check this out if you haven't already

its sasha - airdrawndagger - magnetic north.

its part of the progressive house genre.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been listening to a lot of electronic stuff lately and while I don't have the best grasp on it all yet I can list some of the common adjectives I've seen attached to the songs I've liked...

Hard
Psy
Dance
Ambient
Dark

Give Last.fm a look. Pretty categorization plus you can listen to tracks for free.