Genres and Subgenres in music

Grindcore, often shortened to grind, is an evolution of crust punk..Extreme Noise Terror for example

But where I get lost is there seems to be a lot of negativity towards grindcore, while deathgrind and goregrind are usually considered okay (by my observations at least). Is deathgrind just a fusion of grindcore and death metal, and people can deal with the -core part because it's got death metal influence too, or is the -core influence taken out completely for something like deathgrind, in which case this brings me back to what is grind?

Also terms like "evolution of..." is not descriptive at all in terms of understand a genre. I could say Death Metal is an evolution of Heavy Metal but that would hardly help someone who's never heard of it. And to be honest I have no idea what "Crust Punk" is.

But where I get lost is there seems to be a lot of negativity towards grindcore, while deathgrind and goregrind are usually considered okay (by my observations at least). Is deathgrind just a fusion of grindcore and death metal, and people can deal with the -core part because it's got death metal influence too, or is the -core influence taken out completely for something like deathgrind, in which case this brings me back to what is grind?

Also terms like "evolution of..." is not descriptive at all in terms of understand a genre. I could say Death Metal is an evolution of Heavy Metal but that would hardly help someone who's never heard of it. And to be honest I have no idea what "Crust Punk" is.

this might help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Grindcore

Yeah that's pretty much was I was thinking. Genres and categorizations have a definite upside, and they almost seem necessary in the internet age where it's much easier to pro-actively find what you want instead of picking out the best of what's being spoon-fed to you. But no language or social construct can substitute for the actual experience of hearing music itself, and when treated as if they CAN, the categorizations can shape the creation and consumption of music just as well as the music can shape categorizations.

Not that it's absolutely devastating when that happens, but the thing is that music is a (more or less) concrete artistic statement created by 1-6 people or so. Labels and categorizations are not. They are the general public's overall consensus in verbally describing what they hear, and the process isn't universal or systematic. In fact, the resulting descriptions are frequently inconsistent, contradictory, inaccurate, misleading and sometimes just dead wrong (the way music is often tagged on Last.fm and RYM testifies to this). If you check out new music without the aid of any such genres labels, then I guess none of that matters and, frankly, my hat goes off to you. I, on the other hand, do use them at least some of the time to find new bands, and it's annoying how I occasionally will let a few choice descriptive words turn me off to a band without even hearing them. That's my big problem with genre labeling.

I definitely agree with this statement. I just think it's wack when a lot of bands seem to be mis-categorized.

& then we have the thing where bands invent their own exclusiev genre, like the "Swamp Metal" thing from earlier, or just something else completely irrelevant or off the wall. Even Pagan Metal can usually be a stupid term. Why not just call it Folk Metal... :err:

My favourite faux metal genre still has to be "battle metal". If the person who first coined that term as an actual genre rather than an album name isn't rotting in a ditch on the side of the road somewhere then there is no justice in this world.

And also yeah, since when is Radiohead considered post-rock?

I posted a link to a write up by me that pretty much explains what it is...what the heck is so hard??

More people should use my resource...

I think the swamp metal thing was a joke

Naw, I'm sure someone might have coined the term (it's a big world) & there are terms widely used on teh internets that are just as bad. I'm just talking about the general consensus of coining dumb terms. I always though Depressive Melodic Doom Metal was a fucking terrible label, as is anything Pagan or Viking, which is essentially a very weakly definable & unnecessary sub-genre of Folk Black Metal.

Carriers spreading out in the sky, intercepters ready for flight
Hydralisks burrowing in the ground, preparing for a fight.

Cloaked observers silently probe- the bugs' cover is blown.
The insects scream, their plans are ruined; their cause now is forlorn.
And another Zerg gone and another Zerg gone,
Another Zerg bites the dust.
Yea, they're gonna fry them now
Another Zerg bites the dust.

Mini-rant here;
I despise, and I mean truely despise, bands that create a new genre just to try and seem more extreme than the previous band.
Example: death metal lead to the genre brutal death metal, which is really just heavier, louder death metal. However, this lead to the sub-genre ultra brutal death metal, which is just a little bit heavier. Still OK, there are even some bands which actually fit the description (wormed anyone?)
but, today, I came across Ultra Brutal Gore Death Grind. Seems just a bit over the top to me.

'I am murloc'

"Having leveled past their previous name -- Level 60 Elite Tauren Chieftain -- the crunching chords and pounding war drums of the newly dubbed Level 70 Elite Tauren Chieftain will once again be echoing throughout the Anaheim Convention Center's main arena at BlizzCon 2007. Exclusive to BlizzCon attendees, the concert will start at 7:30pm on Saturday, August 4, preceding the other live entertainment that evening. Get there early because seating will be first-come, first-pwned."

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted a link to a write up by me that pretty much explains what it is...what the heck is so hard??

More people should use my resource...

was that there before you edited? Because I remember reading the post, but I don't remember reading that explanation or link. Oh well.