Something different..

well... one thing that is the same with both growling and clean singing.. open your mouth! also, when practising, try standing up, it will surely improve the singing. there is some breathing techs to, mostly oriented around the stomache. also, try downloading a instrument tuner to your computer (like Audiophonics) and plug in a mic and see if you can keep a clean tone, and how long you can do it.

No matter how hard someone tries, it's impossible to teach singing over the internet. It's impossible. There's too much that's going on.

My tip? Get singing lessons. It'll build up your nerve (singing in front of your teacher), it'll improve your breathing (singing uses your diaphragm a lot), and best of all you'll be able to sing well. Believe me, anyone can sing, it's just a matter of doing it right, and you need lessons to know how to do it right.

download the AP guitar tuner [do a search in download.com or kazaa or something] and if you have a mic you can try to stay in tune with it... and tune your guitar as well!

I once read in an interview where Michael said it was easier to sing in his growl since he actually does that quieter, comparatively. That is, he's not altogether whispering, but if he did both in front of you with no music or anything, there'd be less volume to the growl......

Interesting that.....

you're either born with a good singing voice...or you're not. sad thing is, i have a good singing voice but im in a strictly death metal band, so i cant sing in it! i think i'll start a CCR cover band :)

ElectricWiz said:
I once read in an interview where Michael said it was easier to sing in his growl since he actually does that quieter, comparatively. That is, he's not altogether whispering, but if he did both in front of you with no music or anything, there'd be less volume to the growl......

Interesting that.....
i actually was able to match mikaels growl perfectly, and it is a VERY quiet growl. i prefer screaming though, its easier for me. mikael is a genius for being able to pull off the way he does.

Funeral Portrait said:
you're either born with a good singing voice...or you're not.

Bullshit.. Ive seen people in choir that cant sing worth shit... Practically tone deaf, and in a year, they sound pretty damn good...

Some people are naturally good at singing.. They can match pitches perfectly... But that was probly from being raised around music when they were very young... It just takes time...

I am completely tone-deaf. I cannot for the life of me match pitches. I will say that I can sing, because I can. I happen to like my voice, and other people don't. I can growl, too. That's why singing Opeth is fun, because I get to switch a lot.

By the way, three years ago, I sounded like a castrated cat. Clean and growling.

Lunatic_Fringe said:
Bullshit.. Ive seen people in choir that cant sing worth shit... Practically tone deaf, and in a year, they sound pretty damn good...

Some people are naturally good at singing.. They can match pitches perfectly... But that was probly from being raised around music when they were very young... It just takes time...

ok, cool buddy..

Well he does have a point funeral_portrait, your voice is just like another instrument. It takes practice to get it working right but it can happen and has happened many times. That's also why Britney Spears' voice has gotten better with every album she put out (from what I read online, I don't own them...), because she keeps on practicing and she ets better.

If by "ok, cool buddy.." you meant "oh ok" sorry for this useless post. :D

i happen to think lacuna coils singer is a babe! especially when shes singing live only about 10 feet away from u....

*drools*

illbeleavinnow said:
My tip? Get singing lessons. It'll build up your nerve (singing in front of your teacher), it'll improve your breathing (singing uses your diaphragm a lot), and best of all you'll be able to sing well. Believe me, anyone can sing, it's just a matter of doing it right, and you need lessons to know how to do it right.

Amen to that. It's too true. Get lessons.

A tip, though: over-annunciate your words. For example, when you sing a word like "beer" you should be showing your teeth. You may feel a little stupid but it's helping those singing muscles under your tongue and around your vocal chords.