Something that pisses me off majorly....

Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Ok, I have a friend, and she's obsessed with image. She loves labeling people. She goes "goth hunting", and loves to argue over whther tpeople are goths, grebs etc. etc.

So, she goes through phases first she was glam, then she was goth, then she was cyber no she's going for spaceboy (don't ask me I don't have a clue). When she's in each image she only listens to those bands - eg. when she was in her goth phase I lent her Bahaus, Joy Division, Cure, Siouxie, Sisters of mercy etc., and she proceded to ridicule all music that wasn't "goth"
In other words to her music is inherently linked to image. Does this piss ne1 else off? I mean, people should listen to music because they love the music, not cos it makes them look cool. They are missing out on so much......

Does ne1 else have any friends like this? Why is image so important to them? Why are the so obsessed that they want to be labelled, and don't believe people will judge them on who they are, not what they look like?

But what pisses me off most about this is she is a lovely person, its just when she thinks it will suit her image she decides she's (in her own words) - "A very cold person emotionally, I hate it when people are angsty" Which is completely untrue.... So basically why?

This doesn't sum up very well how intensely annoying it can be...

Originally posted by godisanathiest
I'm not sure. I'm wondering if her personality is just like that.... then it will never end....

trust me it will end, i mean right now you probably dont think that when your an old man your gonna wear trousers up to your armpits and a pair of crusty old slippers, but i know we will. :eek: , shocking thought.

I remember buying some CD's from a small metal shop in Melbourne, they sold a lot of underground stuff. On the bag it had something like, "It's a way of life, not a fashion statement". I think that sums it up pretty well.

Well, I too go trough different phases in life, weeks/months
when I only listen to a couple of bands, from one style...
and then there's a couple of weeks when I might listen to
music from a different style etc. but I never do it because
I've just changed my clothes-style and lifestyle.
I do it because that's what I feel like I need to listen to :eek:)
Sometimes I need Opeth, sometimes I need Radiohead,
sometimes Empyrium, and two days later it's Children Of Bodom.
For me it's always music first, then "style" comes after...
Music influences me in every way.... Thoughts, styles, art etc :eek:)

Originally posted by Villain
It pisses me off to read "anyone" shortened like "ne1"! :(

-Villain
It pisses me off to read:
anyone --> ne1
see --> c
you --> u
are --> r
lol
roflmao

Now that I think about it, pretty much all internet shorthand annoys me.

I hate when people type like that, it's the worst on AOL, all the little dumbass 12 year olds that can't even talk right or have NO grasp of grammar, I swear 75 percent of Americans have less knowledge of the English language than the Swedish people on this board. People think that "can't" is a word, it's not a contraction, it's a word! And the word "to" works for "two" and "too" people will say "Yeah, i'm going to the mall to, I need to buy to new shirts". I imagine in twenty years there won't be a difference between "a" and "an", everything will just be "a" because people are so fucking lazy. Then we can do away with "the", and let's take away genders, they are too hard, just make everything "it". It is going to by (no words that are pronounced the same should be spelled differently) a CD wroted by (Insert shitty pop singer here) at mall tuday. Then in one-hundred years people will forget how to write and speak instead they will just make deaf-mute noises and scribble on paper.

Originally posted by Blackspirit

Well I was gonna reply to this post until I read this ,,, and though "that was exactly what I was going to say"

Somedays I listen to Opeth , In Flames ,Nevermore (the heavier stuff) the next it's Our Lady Peace , Matchbox 20, Mathewgood Band ... just phases ...

I'm curently not in one of those now though ,, in my cd player it's, Opeth - MAYH ,Our Lady Peace - Spritual Machines ,and A perfect Circle ,, there my three favorite bands ,,,

"Following Our Instinct, Not A Trend!"
MetallicA - Damage INC.

I'm sure many of you won't waste any time and bash the group.. whatever.. you can never plz them all

Shit, I hate when people act like that. Yes, they truly are missing out on so much. I've met tons of people that had the same attitude that were into all different types of genres. I do think that most people eventually grow out of it, but it never happens until they become mature and emotionally stable, which often takes several years.

Originally posted by TravestyOfMan
I remember buying some CD's from a small metal shop in Melbourne, they sold a lot of underground stuff. On the bag it had something like, "It's a way of life, not a fashion statement". I think that sums it up pretty well.

Would that be metal mayhem sir? That's a fucking great shop. And it's great when the guy playes nevermore as a train goes over head shaking the place, give extra Beefy Bass!

Originally posted by Kushantaiidan

Would that be metal mayhem sir? That's a fucking great shop. And it's great when the guy playes nevermore as a train goes over head shaking the place, give extra Beefy Bass!

Ah yes, this is true. :)
It's like a dungeon in there hey, great shop. Just wish I lived closer to the city so I could go there more often. And yeah, the train thing is cool.

Originally posted by Blackspirit

Ah yes, but you (notice, out of respect for the other members of the board I spelled out you :p) listen to the music because of the music yes? You change what you listen to because you feel like listening to different music. Well she just listens to the music to enhance her image. Its all very well changing music if you want, thats not what I'm having a go at, it's when people only listen to one type because of an image AND take the piss out of all other types of music because they are "not goth" enough for you

well I got a brother that listen to much the same music as me... but he dont dress as a metal-head at all... just as he feels like(wich is good) but anyways, when he was talking to a complete black/death metal-head here, he slipped by that he had planed to see Mayhem on Roskilde. and the other guy did not think he would like, just cuz he does not vear complete black and such...

That is just plain dumb... 'cuz the thing is that my brother have listend to Mayhem alot... :)

but then again I gotta admit I kinda do the same sometimes, when I dont know the person anyways...

It sounds to me like the glam/goth chick is just kinda young and mindless.

I have noted that people attempt to feel accepted and a part of the "group" by assuming the identities of others. These sorts of people are lacking a sense of who they are and so go about "acting" like others to help them with their own identity crisis. It's truly sad. She'll probably grow out of it in a few years though, once she hits 18 or 19 and figures out who she is. Until then she'll just continue to place herself into whatever mould she feels is "cool". I think this spawns from a deep sense of insecurity.

Not everyone is capable of maintaining a sense of individuality and personal satisfaction in who they are, particularly in this modern society where everyone is judged on everything from their colour to the their attire to their choice of beverage. The human mind has a tendency to divide and sub-divide everything and everyone in an attempt to make sense of the overwhelming amount of information we have to sort through and make sense of. Because of this, even if this chick wasn't trying so hard to fit into a particular genre, others would probably place her there anyway with a wreckless disregard for who she actually is (because that's how the mind works, it seeks to classify the unfamilar and in the process makes some very glaring mistakes about what it sees). Anyway...

Satori