Sonata Arctica - Unia

Originally Posted by 3DimensionalAperture LOL said:
Look, everyone has an opinion on "Unia". There is no need for the name calling and attacks. This is a very complex AND controversial CD. This is the boys from Kemi like you never heard them before. This is a spectacular piece of music if one has the patience to listen through it. This is the finest piece from Sonata in their storied history, and the apex of a natural progression for Sonata Arctica.

Peace,
Ray C.

I hope no one is shocked at 3d's reply. This is kind of a typical posting of his. Though usually it's about how uninformed most of us are because we haven't heard of Joe Schmoe from whatever band just because one person posted having never heard of it or whatever. He's a bit of a stealth troll at times.

Or maybe I'm just an idiot after all. :)

Damn, I just wish I knew a little bit about what I'm talking about in my opinion. I'm so confused because I thought I had my opinion nailed down pretty solidly to my satisfaction. Alas, I'll have to revisit my opinion and make sure that it matches Troll Trollenstein here.

I really love the cd. Natural progression for this band, and I can't wait to buy the US version with the bonus track.

This will sell well. I agree that Paid in Full is annoying, it's one of the worst on the album in my opinion. I don't get what you guys are saying about no hooks, In Black and White isn't all that different from some of their stuff other than chord progression, neither is The Harvest. Under Your Tree reminds me of Last Drop Falls in the beginning. I think it's probably their second best behind Silence.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and debate is welcome, of course, but calling names and trying to shove one's personal view down other peoples' throats cannot be called too sophisticated a method. :erk:

That said, anyone interested in digging deeper in Sonata's progress on their musical path may want to have a look at Silent Voices' myspace. (their website seems to be down atm) TBH, this band fits much better than Sonata to my personal taste. Some of you leaning to progmetal may find them interesting as well, but it doesn't take an Einstein to figure out about the source of Sonata's progressive influences on recent albums. Just take a close look at the bearded kb-wizards in both bands :p

(Find Silent Voices' CDs in here and here)

This is a spectacular piece of music if one has the patience to listen through it.

I had the patience to listen through it multiple times. I listened to it all the way through, for the third time, at work today (slow day), and my opinion stands. "Caleb" is the best track by far..."My Dream..." and "Black Swan" have some good moments as well, though also have their annoying parts. All of the other songs are mediocre...they all have the same muddled sound, and just leave me feeling unsatisfied. This is easily my least favorite Sonata album.

3D...you are essentially on probabation from this point on for personal attacks. Anymore and you will receive a month long ban. For the record, I think you do make valid points, but you have to post your disagreement without coming off like an ass.

That goes the same for replies. I expected better of some of you.

Glenn

I have no problem with what I've heard of the album. It's quite different while still being very much Sonata. I'm enjoying The Vice, In Black & White, Caleb, & The Harvest. While not having a song quite up to the level of White Pearl, Black Oceans, it's thus far a much better overall album than Reckoning Night.

I haven't heard Unia yet, but I can tell already from the responses here, it's going to be one of those albums that doesn't click immediately, similar to Reckoning Night, but eventually it will RULE!!

I'm gonna throw this out to the masses:

I think this album is for Sonata Arctica what "A Twist in the Myth" was/is for Blind Guardian.

Both albums have some "vintage" moments, but both also push way ahead of what people might have expected to hear. Both albums are also heavier than normal for the two bands.

I'm halfway through my first listen of this album and I love it. It really doesn't compare to Silence (IMHO SA's best album), but I think it shouldn't be compared to it. It's an extremely enjoyable album.

I think this album is for Sonata Arctica what "A Twist in the Myth" was/is for Blind Guardian.

Both albums have some "vintage" moments, but both also push way ahead of what people might have expected to hear. Both albums are also heavier than normal for the two bands.

I'm halfway through my first listen of this album and I love it. It really doesn't compare to Silence (IMHO SA's best album), but I think it shouldn't be compared to it. It's an extremely enjoyable album.

bash me if you want, but twist in the myth is actually my fav blind guardian cd, and i love all of their cds for the most part.

usually the "contreversial cds" end up working out for me, so ill definatly give this one a listen

this makes me wonder if its as different as say, BE was for PoS

I don't hear anything heavy in this record.

Or, maybe a little less of an extreme change, if it's as different as Younique was for Superior......

Younique is still one of the most underrated CDs ever. Easily the best thing Superior ever recorded (and I do grealy enjoy all of their CDs).

Haven't heard a note of this new SA disc, but look forward to checking it out based on the controversy.

dt

This album is epic. (notice the bold period)

Most songs do not follow standard verse chorus verse chorus format; some adopt a structure which involve something like movements.

If you want just pure kick-assery: listen to Caleb. (this should have been the single)

If you want beautiful, listen to the last track, Good Enough is Good Enough.

If you want to listen to one of the best metal albums to come out in a long time, listen to Unia.

This album is epic. (notice the bold period)

Most songs do not follow standard verse chorus verse chorus format; some adopt a structure which involve something like movements.

If you want just pure kick-assery: listen to Caleb. (this should have been the single)

If you want beautiful, listen to the last track, Good Enough is Good Enough.

If you want to listen to one of the best metal albums to come out in a long time, listen to Unia.

Wow I think Caleb is the worse track on this cd. In Black and White is the only good track imo.