Song Meanings

HeadCrusher

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
Hello everybody!

I think something like this has been around before but the discussion about the episode 666 lyrics made me start it again...
So everybody please post what you think that a certain In Flames song is about!

grtz, Head

I think;
Satellites and Astronauts is about a failed relationship
Square Nothing is about suicide
Jester Script Transfigured is about a dystopia

most inflames songs are adaptable to your own life says anders (i had the priveledge of mettting him a few times ) and many songs on colony have the same or closley related meanings i.e. colony ordinary story and zombie inc. all three are commentarys about sociaty vain people and how we will ultamitly bring about our own end. i am generally pretty good at breaking it down word for word so if you want any thing explained or atleast attempted give me a jingle .

Reactions: Tebus
egonomic666 said:
most inflames songs are adaptable to your own life says anders (i had the priveledge of mettting him a few times ) and many songs on colony have the same or closley related meanings i.e. colony ordinary story and zombie inc. all three are commentarys about sociaty vain people and how we will ultamitly bring about our own end. i am generally pretty good at breaking it down word for word so if you want any thing explained or atleast attempted give me a jingle .
That's awesome. That's what I thought they were about too. I've usually been pretty good at breaking these songs down toom (I think). Zombie Inc. is a particular favorite of mine lyrically.

Bulletride is about chaos in your life, describes the state of it once its been ravaged by society, and you turn to darker sides, that's how I see it. I think it has a tiny little impact on my life, I can associate having gone thorugh that.

To me Another Day in Quicksand is about how people think they are the one and only persons who are right. if they are exposed to a different way of thinking, they ignore it. If people are told they are wrong they get all frustrated and often people who have a different point of view on life in general and actualy take some time to think about it are rejeted.

Reroute To Remain: If you look at the cover of the album, in the bottom you'll see people who are renewing their skins. Taking this detail into account, the meaning of the song is obvious. We must take an alternative path (reroute) and change our ways in order to survive (to remain) in the ever changing conditions and circumstances we're living in.

...As The Future Repeats Today: I think this one is simply about man's inclination of committing the same mistakes over and over again, iow. how "the future" is just comprised of further "todays".

Pinball Map: About bouncing aimlessly from a situation to a different one like a ball on a pinball map, never knowing who is playing the game/driving you into these new situations.

Free Fall: Isn't this about an identity crisis?

Well take a think about one of their own album titles. The Jester Race, as if its a joke... then listen to Artifacts of the Black Rain, That song reminds me of a "Death raining apon you" feeling listening to it.
Take a look:
Stood there cursing at the soul-dead mass
with their fabled illusions, the vain dreams that passed
splinters of a life rushing by in the whirl
alone, silent warrior in a fantasy world
I read this as a life flashback, The vain dreams that passed would be his life, will be forgotten, Silent worrior in a fantasy world, could be passing into death? I dont know.

He cried for night / but night could not come
When most people think of death, they think of a nighttime scene... would this matter here?

and fed the empty galleries
with the artifacts of the black rain
sunken into the shadows with a dry, sardonic smile
I dont know what to make of this, untill I have a bit more time to think on it. Sardonic would be a keyboard to this whole verse, maybe the most important word in it...

Stood there carving on the monument to lies
digging of the Earth, making friends with the soil
Grave?

If anyone knows the real meanign to this song, tell me, this is just a guess

I think Jotun is about a state that is being dictated by a huge governement. Everybody is observed by cameras (like George Orwell's 1984: Big Brother is watching you).

Unfortunetaly I never figured out what "Jotun" itself means...

HeadCrusher said:
I think Jotun is about a state that is being dictated by a huge governement. Everybody is observed by cameras (like George Orwell's 1984: Big Brother is watching you).

I can tell you that; as far as i know, jotun is some kind of giant in our norse mythology

egonomic666 said:
jotun is the norse word for giants jotunheim is the home of giants in norse mythology the song is a about how mankind is slowley out growing itself and how this will one day bring about our demise and the question of whether we can do anuything about it or if it is already pre decided

Saw Terminator 3 yesterday - now chance to change the future! :D

*revive because this is a good thread that can continue*

Embody The Invisible...
I think it's about people being invisible to eachother, people wanting to be understood but too afraid to show theirselves, so people need to read eachother from their actions.

The chorus fits it well.

"What is written on the silent mouth,
what is written in the soul,
for which is written in the shining silence,
we all have to read"

Bulletride is about chaos in your life, describes the state of it once its been ravaged by society, and you turn to darker sides, that's how I see it. I think it has a tiny little impact on my life, I can associate having gone thorugh that.
Bullet Ride is obviously about suicide. Really.

Have to respond to this too, even though this user is gone. My interpretation of Jotun was that we don't notice shit - that we wouldn't even recognize change when we saw it - that our world could be completely rearranged and as long as we didn't see it happening we wouldn't even notice.

*revive because this is a good thread that can continue*

Embody The Invisible...
I think it's about people being invisible to eachother, people wanting to be understood but too afraid to show theirselves, so people need to read eachother from their actions.

The chorus fits it well.

"What is written on the silent mouth,
what is written in the soul,
for which is written in the shining silence,
we all have to read"
What I got from it is that it's about arrogance - that humans think we're really something but really we're not - "species come and go/but the earth stands forever fast/all rivers run/towards the sea/but the sea is never full" "what privilege do we have/under the sun/that gives us right to the throne" - and that we have to reach this sort of universal understanding - something that's self-evident, that would be obvious to us if we weren't so blind, but that we can't see. Something like that.

We shouldn't bother with lyrics from pre-TJR, as they weren't metaphorical at all. The lyrics post-STYE are also pretty clear.

Obvious ones:
Worlds Within The Margin is about tripping, but it examines the idea of parallel universes.
Dead Eternity is a view of the afterlife in which we are forced to live in our own minds for eternity.
Brush The Dust Away is about social chaos and violence.