Song Meanings

The Quiet Place is honestly pretty good.
I understand why you think the lyrics to Vacuum are good (I think they're good too), but you have to admit that writing about how superficial society is is honestly just as "emo" as anything else on that album, because

wait for it

Writing lyrics about emotions =/= emo lyrics

Ta-da!

Otherwise I present to you one of my favorite emo songs:

/wrists

Last edited by a moderator:
The Quiet Place is honestly pretty good.
I understand why you think the lyrics to Vacuum are good (I think they're good too), but you have to admit that writing about how superficial society is is honestly just as "emo" as anything else on that album, because

wait for it

Writing lyrics about emotions =/= emo lyrics

Ta-da!

Otherwise I present to you one of my favorite emo songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzK_EVul6dQ
/wrists

Ok how about "a bit overdramatic" lyrics.

I guess you could say they're dramatic...
But then again, a lot of other lyrics are. Again, I suggest you stop complaining or I'll keep bitching.

Also, I maintain that the lyrics to CC are well thought out and that the album as a whole is a brilliant statement that only fails on Scream.

This may sound a bit formally, but I think that the name "Goliaths Disarm Their Davids" speaks for the entire song. This is probably their easiest song.
"Gyroscope", "Worlds Within The Margin" and "The Hive" are about the fall of a society.
"Ordinary Story" is about the loss of our humanity, caused by our sheep-following and lack of opinion.

Aweseome topic, old but gold. Must bring it back!! lol
Anyway, here's another opinion from me. I think Minus from the Reroute to Remain is about drugs. Couple of examples:

I leave you, negative behind
Watch me all in flames, on a butterfly I ride

I leave you (the problems) behind. With the drugs of course your mind numbs. Watch my body all in flames (his body suffers) while his mind on a trip. A dreamland.

Inhale the light
Relax for some time
The world outside stays numb tonight
Free your mind express the forgotten
The world inside is yours tonight

When you look the chorus about the drug perspective, it makes a lot of sense. The world outside stays numb cause you can't think about the problems when you're on drugs. You're just feel relaxed.

Second opinion is about Reroute to Remain. Well actually it's very clear. In Flames made big change with Reroute to Remain. (music wise). So that songs talks about that big change.

No R2R (the title track) is not about the musical direction of band or anything. You can apply the lyrics to make it seem that way but it isn't.

It's about relationships. He got out of a very destructive relationship around/before Clayman recordings and that's why those lyrics are so dark and then on Reroute to Remain and Dismiss The Cynics he and his new and current girlfriend (who is an English teacher) co-wrote the lyrics.

No R2R (the title track) is not about the musical direction of band or anything. You can apply the lyrics to make it seem that way but it isn't.

It's about relationships. He got out of a very destructive relationship around/before Clayman recordings and that's why those lyrics are so dark and then on Reroute to Remain and Dismiss The Cynics he and his new and current girlfriend (who is an English teacher) co-wrote the lyrics.

Wow, I always thought it was about the musical direction that they take.

Clayman and Reroute were the peaks of Anders' lyrical writing. I love introspective and personal lyrics. Something you can relate to, or at least reflect upon.

Reroute wasn't the peak of anything. It was the beginning of his decline.

Colony/Clayman were his peak, everything afterwards has ranged from decent to embarrassing.

Man, you're so negative about new In Flames :D

I'm only negative about the numerous shitty aspects of their nu music :D I posted something vaguely positive about STYE in the other thread, and I'm on record as being a fan of Come Clarity and SOAPF... I just fucking hate ASOP and Bottled :D

Reroute's lyrics aren't awful. It's like a stripped down, dumber version of Clayman.

DE I completely and strongly disagree with you. Go back and look at the lyrics.
They're insanely well thought out and clever.

Reroute, System, and Transparent are EASILY some of the greatest lyrics he wrote.

The lyrical decline was STYE

Trigger, Metaphor - yeah, I agree. A lot of really good lyrics. STYE definitely had much simpler lyrics but I still think they are mostly good. He either took simple ideas and wrote them in unique ways: "Would you draw my bitterness / Make the pictures fade" or "I once read a poem, held my breath, but that moment's gone" or when he wrote something really simple, to me, he sings/screams it in a way that makes it work.

Anders says it best in the first line of the song...

"I really don't have anything to say"

So anyone has an idea about Bottled? What's that song about?! lol

It's a double meaning between using alcohol to escape, as well as being trapped. Possibly like a written letter in a bottle in the sea being aimless, at least that's what I get from "the paper, the pen" and "I'm in circles"

I'm strongly starting to think System is honestly a follow up to Only For The Weak.