Song meanings

Mar 20, 2005
USA
Most of Evergrey's songs are easy to interpret or there are interviews about the songs but there are 3 songs that I was wondering about...
Does anyone know what these 3 songs are about?
Rulers of The Mind
Blackened Dawn
Mark Of The Triangle

This is a cool thread. I'm not going to claim I know about any of them as fact (except RD and TIC), especially the songs from In Search of Truth. The only thing I know about the two songs from ISoT, as part of the story is something about some guy being in an instituion or something. I haven't analyzed enough to see what the case is and I know there is a plot twist at the end. At first, I was thinking aliens and still do and then the guy comes out of it and they're not really aliens. Maybe you guys are better.

My thoughts and readings:

I have no idea what The Dark Discovery is about. Seems like the songs are pretty individual, yet they are tied together somehow.

S*D*T is about endless and unmerciful solitude. I read it somewhere. I know there's a more full explanation out there, especially since the title and Tom's emotional singing seems to be more complex than that.

Recreation Day was about the Catholic priests and how they took advantage of the willing that trusted them.

The Inner Circle was about cults taking advantage of people. The smaller hand inside the larger hand on the cover is telling.

If anyone has expansions or different interpretations, I'd love to hear them.

"Rulers of the Mind" and "Mark of the Triangle" are part of In Search of Truth, so they tie in with the character's delusion that he is being abducted by aliens (or being controlled somehow), and the fact that no one around him believes him. "Mark of the Triangle" I think specifically refers to seeing a recurring bruise of some sort that he perceives as a mark, or a brand.

Ahhh... you're right. I reread the liner notes in The Inner Circle. The theme of the Inner Circle with the cults was the take off from the priest abuse in Unforgiveable.

Now what is As I Lie Here Bleeding about? It seems to be along the same lines.

jaimek said:
"Rulers of the Mind" and "Mark of the Triangle" are part of In Search of Truth, so they tie in with the character's delusion that he is being abducted by aliens (or being controlled somehow), and the fact that no one around him believes him. "Mark of the Triangle" I think specifically refers to seeing a recurring bruise of some sort that he perceives as a mark, or a brand.
You say "delusion"... so it is not really aliens? Is it demons or something? Or is it all just in his head?

I think it is aliens. Especially Mark of the Triangle. This mark is specifically mentioned in the book Communion which is about one mans experience with aliens. The book also directly influenced other songs like Deceber 26th from the Dark Discovery. Its been a while since I read the book, but I know Dec. 26 was an important date. I believe it was the first time he was visited by the aliens. I believe the album In Search of Truth is inspired by the alien story. You could easliy adapt the songs to many situations, but I think the original inspiration was the Communion story. I believe the Recreation Day album to be about different forms of death.

eternal sanctum said:
You say "delusion"... so it is not really aliens? Is it demons or something? Or is it all just in his head?

I'm going by the lyrics of "Misled" in the assumption that it's all in his head. The concept of alien abduction or otherwise outside control always seemed to me to be just the vehicle for a story about one person's struggle against isolation and despair.

1Time said:
. I believe the album In Search of Truth is inspired by the alien story. You could easliy adapt the songs to many situations, but I think the original inspiration was the Communion story.

I think you're right on the source of the story. I just maintain that the guy *thinks* he's being used and abused by Somebody Out There, but it's all in his head.

i think that the song "mark of a triangle" is about when the character sees a theropist or some one to help him. Cause the part were you here the person talking. he says something about counting to three. so this theropist or ciciratrist or something is hipnotising the gye.

Thats what hipnotist do to people who claim they have been abducted by aliens.

i agree with jaimek and say it's all in his head

i think that the song "mark of a triangle" is about when the character sees a theropist or some one to help him. Cause the part were you here the person talking. he says something about counting to three. so this theropist or ciciratrist or something is hipnotising the gye.
Yeah, looks like you're right.
And about ISoT whole... It always seemed to me that it's a concept album as well as "The Inner Circle". Each of SDT, RD and TDD has close subjects but not in all songs. Anyway... I like Evergrey lyrics very-very much! ;)

The Swedish word "ensam" means both "lonely" and "alone". I'm fairly certain that in the lyrics of Rulers... and Masterplan, when Tom sings "sensation of never being lonely", he actually means "alone".

I'm not being critical in saying this. In fact I think it's kinda cute :)

Suzanne
(who mixes up Swedish words on a regular basis)

Does anyone know the meaning to the lyrics to "Solitude Within"?
Tom said on the live album that it's his favorite of Evergrey songs.