Songs this band should cover

Mar 24, 2005
Iron Maiden - Rime of the Ancient Mariner(I have no idea why this song clicks with me, but I really think you guys would make it rock. <_< *shrug* haha)

Blind Guardian - Blood Tears(I think Clay would do a kickass job, vocally on this song. I imagine it in my head all the time. I must be weirding you guys out by now. hahaha)

I can't think of anything else right now, it's 1:25 and I'm fading in and out of conciousness.

I can probably come up with a ton that you guys could cover, but for now I'd like the originals to keep on coming. Seems to me that Gregg has an overload of ideas, and to put them on the backburner would be an injustice.

However........
If there were to be some covers done, I humbly suggest the following (aside from Rime of the Ancient Mariner, my 3rd favorite Maiden tune behind Powerslave and Hallowed be thy Name):

Learning to Live or Metropolis pt 1 - Dream Theater
Still Remains - Fates Warning
Painkiller - Judas Priest
Eyes of a Stranger - Queensryche

That's good enough for now, I think

I dunno. I never thought of Suspyre as a band that, musically, comes close to DT. Like, their styles don't really overlap much at all. I couldn't see Clay trying to sing something written for LaBrie, or see Gregg/Rich play all this generic prog wankery. <_< Just seems off to me.

Painkiller would be interesting. I dunno if Clay can go THAT high though.. Rob Halford's singing voice is no joke.

And I think part of why I chose the songs I chose is because you guys tore it up with the two covers I saw you play live. Like, you do all this crazy shit with your actual music, but to see you guys take a break from all that technical epic stuff and just play a really rockin' song was amazing, because you made it look so easy. And to see some shit like that again would kick infinite amounts of ass.

Edit:

I thought of another band to cover. Something by Death. Obviously in their later, more progressive years. Maybe something off like, Individual Thought Patterns, or Human. That would be kickass in a completely different way. Of course that would require Clay to either learn how to do harsh vocals akin to Chuck's, or to find a harsh vocalist who could do the job. :/ I personally know an excellent harsh vocalist, but Chuck's vocals completely get past him. He can do anything he wants, but he cannot do the vocals Schuldiner produced. That, and he's my age(16) so it's not like he could just get up on stage. haha

And I think part of why I chose the songs I chose is because you guys tore it up with the two covers I saw you play live. Like, you do all this crazy shit with your actual music, but to see you guys take a break from all that technical epic stuff and just play a really rockin' song was amazing, because you made it look so easy.

That's why we choose the covers we choose. We play covers not to challenge ourselves, but to take a break. Our music is so taxing and demanding that we choose a song everyone knows as a crowd pleaser and something that we can pull off quickly. Covering Dream Theater doesn't make sense. Yes, they are pretty much my favorite band and it'll be a great tribute to them, but it's just so much work. Also, we have two guitar players; they don't. Yes, Rich can play keyboards but that's a-whole-nother issue upon itself.

This is an interesting thread indeed. Maybe we'll take your recommendations and put together a cover show one day...hmm. I even had these projects started when I'd rewrite a "classic" album. I was starting with "...And Justice for All" and adding in parts that would break the monotony and Suspyre-ize it. As I was doing that, I was told that Dream Theater are known to cover entire albums ("Master of Puppets" and "Dark Side of the Moon" being two of them). I hate when people take my ideas. :rolleyes:

Just because Clay might not be able to hit the notes that Halford can does not mean the cover won't work. Death covered Painkiller and Chuck Schuldiner can't sing like Halford, and that covered got me interested in Death. They are now one of my favorite bands.

I can also understand why covering Dream Theater would be of less interest to the band than others. However, I feel that Learning to Live isn't the most taxing song.

Hearing Suspyre cover Queensryche's Eyes of a Stranger, or Anybody Listening or Best I Can would be pretty cool.

Chuck hit some crazy falsetto notes, I'd say he came close. >_> I was surprised. I don't particularly LIKE the falsetto notes, but yeah.

It would be less interesting because DT is boring as all hell nowadays. I used to love them but now I just can't bear to listen to them. Not even their Images and Words stuff. It's just gone from me. I listen to a couple songs once in a blue moon. There is so many better progressive metal bands out there that it's not even funny. Hell, we're talking with members of one of them.

Wow. On the note of covers..

Just before, not long ago at all, I stumbled across a real cover of Iron Maiden doing Jethro Tull's "Cross Eyed Mary". This is a damn good cover. It's..different. Completely unlike the original, but it's got the soul of it. Bruce is literally screaming his whole way through the song for some reason and I can see why someone might find it annoying, but I find it awesome.