songs SX should cover

theodyssey said:
And I think sfu and slayer are hardly morons. Anyone who has influenced as many bands as they have, regardless of if you like them or not, definitely are doing something right. Progsnob.
It was a freakin' joke... maybe next time.

And back to topic... "Heart of the Sunrise" would be interesting as all hell. The riff is pure metal, Pinella could show off some impressive organ swells, and there are a couple of nice chops for Lepond. :)

I second the notion of them covering Bohemian Rhapsody.

What about 2112, if not just the first part through Syrinx and all that.

Sure there are lots of cool songs we all know, but for popular ones that would possibly happen, I think those would work.

Carmina Burana - O Fortuna

If you haven't heard it, go get it and listen now. It's simply the most powerfull piece of orchastrated music ever written. And, it could totally be converted to Symphony X style with roaring tapping solo's incerted all over the place.

In fact... I've been debating recording it myself for years... but Romeo's a hell of a lot better guitarist than I am, so I'd rather hear him do it.

Why waste time covering a song when they could write a new one? ...or consider this... would you feel cheated if you saw them live and instead of one of your favorite Symphony X songs they played a cover or multiple covers?

BastrdDrmr said:
Why waste time covering a song when they could write a new one? ...or consider this... would you feel cheated if you saw them live and instead of one of your favorite Symphony X songs they played a cover or multiple covers?

Excellent point. I think Symphony X is such a talented group that singing someone else's song wouldn't do them justice.

TDW said:
One song they should do,

Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
( seeing they are quite good at multivocalstuff and romeo could crank that guitar solo up a little , some neoclassical stuff here and there.... ;) )

i also agree. i know its been done so many times, but its just such a classic. it would be cool to hear symphony x spin on the song. they could do some really cool stuff with that baby.

I don't know about SX doing covers, and I really just want to hear some more original music. Although I've witnessed the power of Yngwie's "Inspiration" album (which kicks ass, by the way), I still think that they should spend as much time as possible coming up with new stuff.

Connauch said:
The final countdown

dannanaaanaaaa na na na na na naaa dananana na danananana

I dont think anyone needs ANOTHER Final Countdown cover...

Rush - Spirit of the Radio
But maybe DT would cover that better

Cant really think of any, but I guess all Maiden stuff would be good

J.S. Bach - Toccata & Fugue in D Minor

If you know this song, you know it would freakin rule to hear Romeo and Pinnella split up the fugue into 2 insane parts. It would be the most incredible metal instrumental ever.

Anything by Bach or Vivaldi would kick total ass.

But, my God, KASHMIR! I know Russ is really influenced by Zeppelin, and they could make the symphonic parts amazing.

And am I the only one who thinks that Zeppelin's "The Battle of Evermore" is begging for a symphonic/power metal remake? It's about the final battle in Return of the King, Symphony X could make it rule even more than it already does.

Or anything by their influences - they listen to a lot of awesome bands.

I wouldn't mind hearing Symphony X attempt some U2... here's some songs I think might work brilliantly:

Gloria (this could turn out really epic and pompous)
New Year's Day
Pride
Bad
With Or Without You
Where the Streets Have No Name
The Fly
Ultraviolet

OfSinsAndShred said:
Anything by Bach or Vivaldi would kick total ass.

But, my God, KASHMIR! I know Russ is really influenced by Zeppelin, and they could make the symphonic parts amazing.

And am I the only one who thinks that Zeppelin's "The Battle of Evermore" is begging for a symphonic/power metal remake? It's about the final battle in Return of the King, Symphony X could make it rule even more than it already does.

Or anything by their influences - they listen to a lot of awesome bands.

Some Led-Zep would get great! How did I miss them?

Battle of Evermore will be covered by some power metal band sooner or later, maybe it will be something for S-X to do!

Wicked Inferno said:
hit me baby one more time- britney spears

I think this would be a hilarious cover. And russel could do go all crazy at the end as he does in wicked

Give me a SiiiiiIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiinIIIiIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIIiIiIGGGGGNNNNNNN
hit me baby ooooonnnnneeee mooooorrrreeooeeeore tiiiiiiIIIIIIIIiiiiiiimmmmee:)
That's funny stuff.

I sat and pondered the idea, but couldn't really come up with anything. I like the classical ideas presented above and I think it would be totally cool to hear some Bach or Stravinsky set to Symphony X.

For covers, it would be cool for the band to cover the songs that influenced them most - like, each person picks two songs that had the biggest influence on them "growing up". That would be cool to have insight into what influenced the band as well as to hear their take on the material.

Forgot to mention this: Romeo and Pinella should take center stage as the band busts out some Cacophony! I mean come on, Romeo was refining his guitar craft in the 80s - you know Speed Metal Symphony probably had a big effect on him.