Sorry guys, I HAD to do this: To Bid You Farewll Vs. Face of Melinda

End it now: Which of the two mellow songs is superior?

• To Bid You Farewell (Morningrise)

Votes: 57 46.7%
  • Face of Melinda (Still Life)

Votes: 65 53.3%

• Total voters
Hypnos said:
i hate these forced rhymes in FOM...

Sometimes they don't make any sense at all, and you can tell there are certain lines in there that exist only for rhyming, but I think it's kind of charming.

Profanity said:
It doesn't own Morningrise.

How doesn't it? I think Morningrise is great, but some of the songs are kind of weak and they all lack structure, especially the beloved BRI and TBYF. Ever hear anyone talking about Nectar, either?

To Bid You Farewell, not because I think it's better, but because it was the first song that I really-really-really liked by Opeth.

Moonlapse said:
Face of Melinda, clearly. What it boils down to is raw emotion vs mature song-writing. There is alot more Depth in Face of Melinda, musically, than there is in TBYF. The structuring of the parts and general progression of the song is alot more mature, and lends towards making that climax toward the end all that much more powerful.

To me it isn't even a contest - Face of Melinda is simply a superior track.

Superior track? How so? "mature", "powerful", "depth" are all subjective terms. Obviously, technical complexity doesn't make a song good or bad. Give me any Nirvana over Dream Theater. Music isn't mathematics.

Rensei said:
Superior track? How so? "mature", "powerful", "depth" are all subjective terms. Obviously, technical complexity doesn't make a song good or bad. Give me any Nirvana over Dream Theater. Music isn't mathematics.

Which means that you can't argue for TBYF either, I guess. Everything else aside, though, FOM is obviously a better structured song.

saut said:
Which means that you can't argue for TBYF either, I guess. Everything else aside, though, FOM is obviously a better structured song.

Of course I can't argue for TBYF. I like TBYF the most, that's all. FOM is more complex but you can't say it's a better structured song.

You people and song structure. that's the whole point of progressive metal. To have odd time signatures and little to no structure at all. Look at Rush. They are prog-rock. Try to map out their time signitures. The whole beauty of progressive metal is the randomness of it. Well then again...this is the day and age of three chord songs no longer than 4 minutes singing aboutwhat girl they want to fuck or whatever. Fuck it...you people go listen to your Atreyu and CoF. btw-Face of Melinda owns

Argh, maybe it's because of the fact so many embrace Still Life here (or so it seems anyway) that Shark22, even if he likes the album, will just say it sucks. Heh, in some sort of way, I can understand that.

Geez, I'd be very, VERY disappointed if it IS true that there are 10 non-legit votes on here. Dammit, why anyone would want to do that and ruin an honest poll is beyond me. Plus, what fun is in that anyway? That just sucks, I say.

Face of Melinda is an incredible track, but go TBYF. Hell, the difference is ONLY 14 votes. That's not the HUGE leap I was anticipating for FoM, which is cool. That's all I wanted to see, is the fact there ARE alot of fans of TBYF on here; of BOTH songs.

"Devotion eludes, and in sadness I lumber. In my own ashes, I am standing without a soul" *kick-ass guitar part*

- this is the best part of the song. Fuck, it still just brings the chills down my spine. Even though the acoustic intro is freaking magnificent, there's just no denying how well this song all comes together near the end. A fine, fine climax with an excellent conclusin.

Also, I just LOVE singing along to this song. This and harvest are two songs I totally have memorized.

end note: there isn't a single opeth album that "sucks." I just cannot accept that.

wtf? are you freaking serious bangadrian? :OMG: Jesus!

I happen to think it is the best part....I mean geez, it just goes to show how different someone's tastes can be. I respect it, but I just cannot believe it.

That vocal style is SO Alice in Chains. I always thought so, but also a mix of opeth's unique style as well (Mike's vocals are incredible!)