Sort of new To Metal!

Teh Grimarse said:
am i the only person who didn't at some point listen to nu metal... i never "grew out" of any kind of music, there's nothing i once listened to that i am now embarrassed to have liked... i pretty much at around 10 or 11 went from listening to the mighty mighty bosstones to listening to black metal and that was that, there was no transition period where i listened to lame faggy mainstream "metal" before finding the good stuff...

It's easy to become brainwashed by MTV when your only eleven or twelve years old. I remember I used to watch MTV all day and TRL determined which were the "coolest" bands. If I were twelve right now I probably would be listening to emo. You probably have an older brother or friend or dad to guide you to the good stuff.

Get that Negligence demo. Should be available on their site in mp3 form (at least last time I checked).

By your list, get Meliah Rage's Kill to Survive. Sepultura's Beneath the Remains as well.

MasterOLightning said:
I never listened to nu-metal either actually. I went from classic rock for several years to thrash and then quickly to extreme metal. '70s to '80s to '90s really.

Neither did I. I was into that Goth stuff like HIM and Nightwish...

I actually was never really interested in music at all until I found Metal. I just listened to whatever my parents would play, which was generally Neil Young, Pearl Jam and the first Hootie and the Blowfish CD. Some classic rock too obviously, like Led Zeppelin, CCR, Allman Brothers, Cream, and what have you. Then I discovered Metallica and listened to only them for like a fucking year. :|

Yes Metal is pretty much the only genre I can get really passionate about.

The only other music I've been really passionate about that wasn't Metal were the soundtracks to Titanic. =/ The score was f-ing brilliant, you can't deny it!

If you're going to only name one fucking album, that would be

Mercyful Fate - Melissa
Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales
OR
Bathory - Blood Fire Death

Decapitated
Dimmu Borgir
Skinless
Dark Angel
Nile
Catamenia
Iced Earth
through the eyes of the dead
kalmah
Behemoth
Burzum
vehemence

...i could go on for everrr.. but i shant :)

(M)aggoT said:
I forgot to write them down:kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

it is fine, im sure i forgot many many good bands.... haha theres alot to remeber.. they all mash together in one big brain fart i guess...:lol:

Young Unknown said:
I just heard Seventh Son Of a Seventh son by Iron Maiden and its great,

i have now heard 5 Iron Maiden albums and all kick ass :heh:

Number Of The Beast
Piece Of Mind
Powerslave
Seventh Son
Dance Of Death

any others i should check out by them? i heard the albums from the 90's are not that great so i probably wont check them out, but how is their stuff Pre Bruce?

Also heard Amon Amarth's "Fate Of Norns" Its a good death metal album imo, but then again i have not heard alot of death/black metal besides Opeth if they count :p

Get everything they did in the 80's. Fear of the Dark is pretty good but not mandatory. Don't bother with the rest of their stuff. Opeth is sort of death metal... kind of. As far as death metal goes I like old school stuff the most (late 80's early 90's). Try the following:
Morbid Angel- Altars of Madness, Blessed are the Sick, Covenant
Cannibal Corpse- Tomb of the Mutilated, The Bleeding, Vile
Deicide- Deicide

Dodens Grav said:
If you're going to only name one fucking album, that would be

Mercyful Fate - Melissa
Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales
OR
Bathory - Blood Fire Death

I've never heard MT but BFD is a good one and Melissa is one of the greatest metal albums ever.

Thoth-Amon said:
Get everything they did in the 80's. Fear of the Dark is pretty good but not mandatory. Don't bother with the rest of their stuff.

hey Dance of Death is a good one :hotjump: :heh: