Southern California Thread

yeah. I always preferred the Hollywood HoB to the Anaheim one. I remember when Anaheim HoB banned metal bands from playing because the administration didn't like the ideas and fans :lol:

Opeth/In Flames/Red Fang @ Palladium Dec 9th.

Even though both bands suck now, this is a childhood dream come true for me. And its the day after my birthday. This is pretty much a must go for me.

That sounds like it could be fun.

On the EDM front, Aug 30 in Avalon we got Infected Mushroom, Astrix, and motherfucking Maor Levi. No chance I'm missing that.

Well everything Infected put out after Converting Vegetarians is complete garbage. But everything before, especially Classical Mushroom, is awesome IMO. In the end I'm most stoked for Maor Levi. I've never heard anything from Astrix though.

Me either. Never even heard of em.

If I want psytrance it's Sphongle all the way. Infected mushroom just takes things too far. 2 white guys on stage rapping with big inflatable mushrooms on stage is a bit juvenile for me.

Dude you'll be please with Maor Levi. Fool brings it.

Digweed was badass, btw. Not sure if you're into him or not, but he did a 6 hour set. Could only stay for a few hours but by the second hour fool was killin it. Just starting to get into that style. He definitely is a crafter of music and long sets, not like a DJ who beat matches and plays banger after banger you hear on KIIS fm.

Last note, speaking of Sphongle he's coming around with Emancipator, and Beats Antique. That's such a sick lineup.

They rap now? Lol I guess I haven't kept up with Infected :lol:

I have a sweet spot for that cheesy 90s trance though. I just recently heard this song again and got my loins moist.

That part at 3:35 is the tits.

And I'm glad you say that Maor brings it. I've never seen him live. He better fucking play Reflect. That is easily one of my all-time favorite songs of any electronic genre.

As for Digweed, never heard of him, I'll check him out right now!

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I wouldnt really call that Trance. More Psytrance than straight Trance. But now it makes sense why you like Infected Mushroom ;) Shit has no soul to it one bit. Thats why I like trance with more vocals in it.

Like this classic from late 90's:

Cant believe you never heard of John Digweed! Fool used to be hardcore into trance/techno in the late 90's, him and Sasha threw it the fuck down back then.

Now hes a mix of shit. Id like to say Deep house, mixed with bits of techno and progressive house? I dunno, you gotta check him out, fool has been in scene for 20+ years and definitely knows what hes doing.

Reflect is a cool song, I cant do a lot of that trance that doesnt fluctate at all. Has a little vocal work which is cool, but I like shit with more vocal and melody like this from him:

That last remix was pretty good!

Also, just finished listening to two of Digweed and Sasha's mixes. How the fuck did I know about this?! Thanks for educating my ass on this.

And yeah, Solar Plexus is psytrance to the max. I totally get the lack of soul, it's very mechanical, but at a loud enough volume and with the right poison it makes for the best dance music available IMO. Fast BPM, thick, creamy, rolling basslines, and echoing synth farts. What more do you need?

Having said that, I generally dislike listening to it when I'm home and gravitate more towards the style you posted. I've probably posted this song 40x here, but this track pretty much nails exactly what I love about the chill side of trance.

Swans Sept 10/11 @ The Roxy.

Im seeing Earth Sept 11 @ The Hollywood Cemetary, but im thinking of going on the 10th...Love the Roxy and I heard Swans put on a amazing show. Well see.

Gwar and Decapitated are coming to HoB in November. This could be interesting hah.

Anyone going to Fueled by Fire and Exmortus on Friday?

So yeah, anyone end up going to this? I was in the front row for Exmortus, and in what little pit there was for all of Fueled by Fire. Got to meet Conan from Exmortus and the bass player from Hatchet again. I had a blast.

Nails and Soundgarden tonight @ The Hollywood Bowl.

Love The Bowl, and Nails is probably my favorite band, ever...So, needless to say Im very excited for this show.