Spreading The Gospel

Hey I'm no supporter of piracy. but if it helps me get new music (re: discover new bands/genres etc) i'm not complaining.

I used to play bass and sing with Kryptos (don't know how many of you have heard this band - www.myspace.com/kryptosindia), we were really thrilled when our debut album was shared on numerable torrent sites. This really helped word get around...

I guess piracy as a marketing tool (as stupid as it sounds) works to a certain extent. talking strictly about new and upcoming acts here.

When Radiohead released In Rainbows online on a "pay-what-you-wish" platform it worked wonders for them, they in fact made more than what they did with their previous albums. Michael Moore is, in fact, releasing his latest project on the same platform. So, is this 'legalised piracy' of sorts? I mean, it's up for downloads with the artists consent. I realise that you need to pay, but there's no real ceiling limit as such, so... technically i can 0.99 cents or .50 cents for an album or movie... and share it eventually... can't work the math here....

well personally i wouldnt ever be a 'musician' full time, i think its a much better idea to work a job and then make music in your spare time - and then release music for free. plus when u are workin that job you can actually contribute something tangible to society, like as a tradesman, rather than just making music

well personally i wouldnt ever be a 'musician' full time, i think its a much better idea to work a job and then make music in your spare time - and then release music for free. plus when u are workin that job you can actually contribute something tangible to society, like as a tradesman, rather than just making music

i do just that :D i have a 9-5 job and the band will always be a... passion thing, you know. if i make a wee bit of money off shows, record sales etc - great! otherwise, come nothing.

Music IS a religion, guys.
Every church has its followers, every follower must be a believer AND a crusader. Keep faith, spread the word! Enemies and infidels shall burn, VICTORY is ours!!!

----> [ ]

damn man, you really must be the exact opposite of me ......... everything you say has some things in it that go totally against everything i think!
about this, well, i'm an archaeologist and working in academics ... so in your definition i am actually also not "contributing something tangible to society". do you actually believe this bullshit?
how is producing music not contributing something tangible to society? you tell me something, why is it that we still remember great artists and scientists and what they achieved and how they CONTRIBUTED to our society/culture/civilization, but don't know or care that much about the millions of people in their time that contributed "something tangible" to society. like tradesmen ...

furthermore, that being a tradesman actually contributes something to society is to be questioned, but well, i have to remember how much everyone is indulged in the capitalist ideology of today's western society.
and also, why is it so important to "contribute to society" ... again, ideology your are indulged in ...

Gëist;7603079 said:
Every church has its followers, every follower must be a believer AND a crusader. Keep faith, spread the word! Enemies and infidels shall burn, VICTORY is ours!!!

----> [ ]

love it!:headbang:

damn man, you really must be the exact opposite of me ......... everything you say has some things in it that go totally against everything i think!
about this, well, i'm an archaeologist and working in academics ... so in your definition i am actually also not "contributing something tangible to society". do you actually believe this bullshit?
how is producing music not contributing something tangible to society? you tell me something, why is it that we still remember great artists and scientists and what they achieved and how they CONTRIBUTED to our society/culture/civilization, but don't know or care that much about the millions of people in their time that contributed "something tangible" to society. like tradesmen ...

furthermore, that being a tradesman actually contributes something to society is to be questioned, but well, i have to remember how much everyone is indulged in the capitalist ideology of today's western society.
and also, why is it so important to "contribute to society" ... again, ideology your are indulged in ...

+1 trillion

when did i say an archaeologist is not a real job? any science based job gets the thumbs up from me, if i had to pick any jobs to be abolished id start off with priests, nuns, imams and all those religious fuckheads and then probably accountants

because without tradesman you wouldnt be an archaelogist buddy, if there were no farmers, tradesmen, etc you wouldnt be living and breathing today. thats why i respect them the most, because they keep everyone alive. even if valuable occupations like science-based ones disappeared, we would still be relatively ok...defintely not as good as before, but if you took out tradesmen and farmers, where the fuck would we be? 6 feet under pal

cut out the capitalism bashing, im getting sick of hearing it from fuckwits left and right. you work hard and put in the effort, you get the rewards. thats completely fair, and in the case of the disabled, elderly and even the incredibly lazy good for nothing trash there is a safety net (in australia at least) that makes sure everyone is afforded the minimum standards.

why is it so important to contribute to society? did you really just say that? because society fucking contributes towards YOU, you use societies roads, infrastructure, food, services, oil, gas etc.

culture and all this artsy stuff is all well and grand, but id take a man growing potato and corn over a guy with a guitar, ANY FUCKING DAY OF THE WEEK. there are many problems with the world today that i dont see getting fixed in the foreseeable future, including climate change and natural resources. the more people that 'contribute' to society, the lesser the shock will be

lastly, never did i say, or intend to mean, that music and art should be discarded. i only meant it should take second priority to tradesman, builders, farmers etc...because they are the lifesblood of our world. you can argue against this point all you want, but it wont get you anywhere

Gëist;7603079 said:

Death to false Metal! :loco:

when did i say an archaeologist is not a real job? any science based job gets the thumbs up from me, if i had to pick any jobs to be abolished id start off with priests, nuns, imams and all those religious fuckheads and then probably accountants

because without tradesman you wouldnt be an archaelogist buddy, if there were no farmers, tradesmen, etc you wouldnt be living and breathing today. thats why i respect them the most, because they keep everyone alive. even if valuable occupations like science-based ones disappeared, we would still be relatively ok...defintely not as good as before, but if you took out tradesmen and farmers, where the fuck would we be? 6 feet under pal

cut out the capitalism bashing, im getting sick of hearing it from fuckwits left and right. you work hard and put in the effort, you get the rewards. thats completely fair, and in the case of the disabled, elderly and even the incredibly lazy good for nothing trash there is a safety net (in australia at least) that makes sure everyone is afforded the minimum standards.

why is it so important to contribute to society? did you really just say that? because society fucking contributes towards YOU, you use societies roads, infrastructure, food, services, oil, gas etc.

culture and all this artsy stuff is all well and grand, but id take a man growing potato and corn over a guy with a guitar, ANY FUCKING DAY OF THE WEEK. there are many problems with the world today that i dont see getting fixed in the foreseeable future, including climate change and natural resources. the more people that 'contribute' to society, the lesser the shock will be

lastly, never did i say, or intend to mean, that music and art should be discarded. i only meant it should take second priority to tradesman, builders, farmers etc...because they are the lifesblood of our world. you can argue against this point all you want, but it wont get you anywhere
id take the man with the guitar over the man with the potato

nice one, i guess thats fine as long as you dont care about living

if only the malnourished had guitars