SSD: The Vst vs Trigger: What should i buy?

Bropocalypse

Ben - Skin Smasher
Aug 30, 2011
Derby, England
www.facebook.com
Hey guys, so i currently own superior drummer 2.0, i do a fair bit of processing in the instrument itself, i then play electric drums, and route them so i record a real time audio signal so i can later replace the transients if needed.

What i am unsure about, is would i be better of buying the Steven Slate platinum vst, and using it like superior 2.0. The superior vst looks far better in terms of options,routing and functionality.

However i use logic express 9 at the moment, as far as i am aware it has a built in drum replacer similar to trigger right?

Anyone got any insight on this one for me.

Thanks guys :D

Just get trigger. Do it the way you're doing it. The replace/ blend with trigger later on. I like the cymbals better in superior, then you can blend the best of both worlds.

Thats exactly what I do when I have to deal with programmed drums. I think Ola has a tutorial somewhere too where he details how he does it the same way, except he uses aptrigga in the video.

edit: linkorama: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/production-tips/648248-yt-superior-2-0-tutorial.html

TRIGGER, definitely. As you said, routing and flexibility is better with SD 2.0, and you already know the software. Plus the cymbals sound a lot better, but that's just imo. With Trigger you can just trigger the drums you want to replace and it's a lot faster than setting up the Slate Drums VSTi.

Logic kinda has a basic trigger function but it's nowhere near Slate's Trigger. And it doesn't come with hundreds of cool samples ;)
Plus if you ever have real drum tracks you have a real use for Trigger and not for two drum-VSTi's.

TRIGGER also responds to an assignable MIDI note if you want it too. No need to trigger of the audio from any sampler.

You won't get the cymbals with TRIGGER though, if that is of any concern.

Just use the Superior cymbals/rooms (SD rooms for just cymbals), and either trigger the audio of Superior drummer with TRIGGER and blend SD and SSD shells (or totally replace with SDD), OR just do what the above poster said and let TRIGGER go off of a single midi note. The only problem I've found with that is you have to have your buffer set pretty low to trigger all the notes correctly. Also, the velocities straight from midi sound way different than if you just trigger SD's audio.