Stagnation and laziness in brutal death

SADUDE

lunatic of god's creation
Mar 20, 2002
I am not going on an elitist rant. I just wanted to make an example that this music is becoming very tired. The majority of Brutal Death bands are playing outdated music. Oh btw I should have included bass in my rampage as well. The guitar is a variably that gives the music identity for the most part. That is sad because I am a bassist and would like to see some decent work done in certain areas of metal. But the drummers are just programmed space horders so it is probably near impossible. Look at the bassist from cryptopsy. He is fairly talented but it is hard for him to have the time to come through. SOme times when he does he is sort of trampled on.

There are less than 10 bands practically carrying this genre on their back: Spawn of Possesssion, Cryptopsy, Suffocation, Aeon, Nile. Aeon is a unique combination of old styles. They prove you don't need to play at the speed of light to be heavier than everyone ele. Suffocation do that as well, they have rests in their music which gives space for the music to breathe. Nile has the Egyptian samples. Cryptopsy has a band where just about every member is relevant.
I am just really tired of the guitarist being the band in most BD. If the vocals are that much of an inconvenience which it seems to me they have become, then they can easily be omitted. Maybe these drummers and vocalists just are too lazy to try to do something that isn't a cliche. I can sympathesize with bassists, because it really isn't their fault most of the time that they have no room to do anything. But you have a lot of bassists worth nothing who just get in a a band because they aren't expected to do anything, can't do anything, and got in just because they are friends with the band.
THe problem really is quite simple and cliche as well. YOu have leaders and followers. Of course the latter being the majority. People seem to be following formulas of what was groundbreaking years ago. I don't expect there to be many leaders, so at least can these bands rip off something new like cryptopsy. THat at least might raise the standards until another band comes and breaks them. Or until the same bands break them again.

I do understand that some or most of this is interchangable with other metal subs. i chose the particular sub of Brutal Death because black metal is far less popular although it shares some the vocal and drum flaws and probably more to some extent. Melodic death gets its fair share of criticism by the truckload. If I hear Gaythenburg one more time...haha. I am not genre hating here. I like all the above mentioned genres.

It's not just brutal death that is stagnating. I think the whole metal is going to hell in some years. Can't say I mind too much. :)

Yeah brutal death is as stagnant as hair metal. Even if bands are visionaries and try new things ( nile, cryptopsy) they try them only within the confines of technicality. The vocals need to go, they are dated and have become a parody , and have been outdone in brutalness by any gaythenberg screamer, or even any metalcore screamer. Id like to hear some fresh new ideas, at least in black metal one finds the solefalds, the arcturus', ephel duath etc. Death metal has nothing other than niles egyptian motif which i believe is criminally underused by the band.

Sorry, I just started a thread about the relevance of the bass guitar.

speed said:
Death metal has nothing other than niles egyptian motif which i believe is criminally underused by the band.
You need to check out more bands, there's more to DM than the overrated Nile. Virulence incorporate jazz and psychotic grind into their music. VUVR and Wayd are also two excellent jazz/death metal fussion bands. Belphegor play a kickass death/black combo. Lykathea Aflame's oriantal samples make the music sound rather original. Agressor play epic brutal death with folk and medieval influences. How about Suffocate, a mix of HC/death/grind with industrial sections? Or Rotten Sound - a great mix of grind/death/crust.

Check out the following bands too, one can hardly say they are unoriginal:

Wormed
Extol
Malignancy
Contrastic
The Berzerker
Mental Horror
Depresy
Ahumado Granujo
Psypheria
Myrkskog

And many more that do not come to mind right now.

Dreamlord is correct; this can be said of any genre, and brutal death is inherently limited in scope. Metal in it's entirety is creatively stale.

Concerning vocals....there's only so much a human voice can do, and brutal death as a genre has covered all the ranges of unclean vocals already. I expect though, that if a brutal DM band featured a classically trained vocalist, you'd be less than impressed. I'd honestly like to hear your ideas on how vocals could be revolutionized, advanced or be featured in an original manner while remaining stylistically suitable to the brutal DM around it.

Tough, isn't it?

Thought as much.

Although the genre is stagnating, brutal/technical death is much less stagnant than regular death.

Morbid Angel got old by their second album. Cannibal Corpse have always sucked. Deicide, HAHAHA.

The fact that brutal death has some degree of technicality or "HOLY SHIT MY HEAD'S GONNA BUST FROM THE HEAVY RIFFS AND LIGHTSPEED JAZZ DRUMMING" to make it worth listening to.

If you're gonna play dog shit, play it in a way that people can look past it and say, hey! There's undigested food in there! You just have to find it!

Completely digested dog shit is useless.

THere are thousands of Cannibal Corpse Imitations that I care not to hear. HOw many Suffocation clones has there been? ...not enough

I forgot to mention one thing about vocals in brutal death. Some bands use effect connected to the microphone to make them sound more interesting... basically they will sound like Wormed (who surprisingly use no effects at all) or some other extreme vocalists (Ruben Rosas, etc) in the genre. The vocals become an instrument of its own, it is not growls or screams. Give me brutal death vocals over you regular boring death metal vocals any day.

Know what would be cool if done right? Clean vocals+brutal death metal. Doesn't even have to be melodic(think ultra-technical hyperblast version of Fear Factory)

Imagine Cryptopsy with Bruce Dickinson...

or Vehemence with Tim Aymar...

or Suffocation with Brian McKnight and Redman...

SculptedCold said:
Dreamlord is correct; this can be said of any genre, and brutal death is inherently limited in scope. Metal in it's entirety is creatively stale.
I agree. Heavy metal is a thing from the eighties. Black metal is well past its peak too... all the big names from the end of the eighties and the beginning of the nineties that made it so popular have strayed away from their original music into completely new waters (former Emperor members play completely different stuff nowadays, Mayhem are experimenting too, and do I need to mention Satyricon, Manes, Ulver, or Dimmu Borgir members and their projects? ). Only proves someone's point that black metal is only a stage on the way to something better and no normal band would stick with it forever. Similar thing with doom metal; it is hard to come with something new and all the huge names that made the genre famous abondoned the style in the second half of the nineties completely (Tiamat, My Dying Bride, The Gathering, Anathema, Paradise Lost, ...). If there is a genre that is at a peak now it is death metal, and to be more precise, brutal death metal. But for how much longer? Maybe 2 or 3 years, I don't give it much more. Old school death metal is well past it.

Melodic death can still be developed.

We just need to lose the keyboards and get some decent stuff coming out.

Very true...But I think metal on a whole is stagnating. Alot of the bands choose to remain tr00 to themselves and m3t4l. So they put out the same album out over and over again and most want to try bring back the 80s thrash time as well... Unfortunately most of us want to hear more innovation and creativity with music.

I have yet to hear much Brutal/Tech Death therefore I'm trying those bands that you've recommended Naggamanteh(although I really hate The Berzerker and their fuzzy bassdrums), I do think that it is stagnating though. The vocals really need a change, more interesting drumbeats should be there etc. I'm sure there's a limit to how insanely technical you can play.

yeah melodeath has alot of potential for exploration imo. the 'gaythenberg' scene is stagnating and even degenerating now but stuff more like...vehemence, vital remains (dechristianize) that sort of thing has alot of potential.... sort of a mix between brutal and melodeath. dark melodies as opposed to bobby melodies, more contrast between extremity and melody.