Stairway to Heaven - Backwards

Katabasis

Sep 24, 2003
near Sydney, Australia
Visit site
OK, Opeth like Led Zeppelin.....now it's on topic.

So, I was browsing the net, biding time till tomorrow (when Opeth play Sydney, Fuck Yeah!), and I came across this site:

http://www2.memlane.com/jmilner/stairwaybackwards.htm

Now, I don't know if it's just because I'm tired, but that is some freaky shit. I remember years and years ago, me and a friend were going to try it out, but I didn't have a record player back then and PC's were still shit and not a household item.

Anyway, just check it out.

Coincidence? Yeah, most likely. But it's still pretty eerie.

Katabasis said:
OK, Opeth like Led Zeppelin.....now it's on topic.
No it isn't.

Read the following text carefully.
Mark said:
This forum is provided (and paid for) by Opeth for discussion about the band's music and performances. Please refrain from using it for anything else.

look, I didn't want to offend anyone, but obviously I have, what with my continual off-topic ramblings.

I just thought that Opeth fans would be of a similar mindset, and hence would find this quite interesting.

*shrugs*

I don't really know about that, it's pretty much an interpretation, such a thing could be performed on almost every song, with a little imagination. Allthough it's still quite accurate, and it could be something plotted.

yeah, I agree.

I don't totally buy that Jimmy and Robert put it in there intentionally....but it's still pretty weird nonetheless....

Page also bought Aleister Crowley's old house...Boleskin Manor I believe it was called.... apparently it was sometimes referred to as the 'toolshed'

Just some coincidental food for thought...but...creepy.

:)

not that I know of

Page was an avid occultist, and the media just latch on to stuff like that (as you all know), so it's kinda hard to separate the fact from the fiction.

But, Page did own an occult bookstore in England; he did buy Boleskin manor, formerly owned by Aleister Crowley, an occultist who was part of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn; even his symbol had occult properties, (probably representing Saturn).

Apparently (though I have yet to verify this), Page bought Crowley's place because it is on a significant place ritualistically, as lined out in 'The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abramelin the Mage' (Which I own, but haven't fully digested yet).

But, yeah, you'll also hear the stories of how Page and Plant summoned up Satan to write 'Stairway', and how he cursed Plant's son, etc, etc. Slander, really.

But, the bottom line is, he was into the occult, and fairly heavily as well at some stages in his life. So, it is 'plausible' that the backwards verse was inserted purposefully...but it's most likely just a coincidence.

Still...gives me the shivers.
:)

you know these kinds of stuff are quite cult actually. same things have been said about the beatles' white album, too. yeah, the white album! hahahaha
dont forget about dark side of the moon and the wizard of oz and all the rest.

but page was into that stuff, thats for sure.

yeah you're talking about the two dudes who committed suicide right? like they heard "kill yourself" on priest tracks? lol it's stratnge why a band would want their fans killed who but their records and put food and cocaine on their table haha

no, they didnt even hear that. they heard 'do it'. its an unbelievably short sample.

hmm ive been looking around o nthe net about speech reversal, it turns out that a lot of people say what they really mean in reverse speech. Apparantly if you reverse neil armstrong's 'one small step for man', it says 'man will space walk'.. mp3 here: http://www.reversespeech.com/rev/test141.mp3

its interesting stuff.

http://reversespeech.com/judas.shtml

Fuck that. I don't feel like going throught the whole piece of the song but these the two first sentences could also be something like

"Kiss my potato
There was a little dashboard"

And so on. You know, I wouldn't have made out a shit of that noise without the written lyrics, and that lyric could have made sense being anything nearly resembling the reversed vocals.

EDIT.
Oh yeah and that kill yourself thing. I was in a band once, in which the guitarist started hearing "kill yourself" messages from an Eric Clapton album. Medication solved that one.