starting my amp collection

jessman24

Aug 30, 2010
Hey guys im starting to do a lot of real amp recording and reamping. I just got a 5150 blockletter and a mesa 4x12 I was wondering what peoples thoughts are for my next amp as far as having a well rounded variety of guitar tones? I was thinking mesa dual rec or engl powerball thoughts?

What kind of music do you play? For my style of music (brutal death metal) I would probably have a fireball 100, Triple XXX, 6505, 8100, and maybe an SE preamp.

all kinds of metal hardcore death metal all that modern stuff

Then a Fireball 100 should be your next amp :)

Its the tightest, most brutal amp I've ever played, in 3-4 months ill finally own one.

I should say though, it doesn't really have that grind a 6505 has, its a very brutal amp, id say even tighter without a boost than a 6505 WITH a boost, and has the most evil growl when playing power chords.

A two channel dual/triple rec is a solid next step. There are heaps of amps out there that get amazing tones in the right hands, but they make a solid foundation. Have a browse through the Practice Room subforum and check out what people are using to get tones you like, there's a lot of useful contributions there for that sort of research. YouTube and such are another great way to decide what you like, especially from users like Ola and Keith Merrow.

A two channel dual/triple rec is a solid next step. There are heaps of amps out there that get amazing tones in the right hands, but they make a solid foundation. Have a browse through the Practice Room subforum and check out what people are using to get tones you like, there's a lot of useful contributions there for that sort of research. YouTube and such are another great way to decide what you like, especially from users like Ola and Keith Merrow.

6505's and Rectifiers are to close sounding to own both at the same time imo, unless your a millionaire or something.

Haha wait until Lasse chims in :D

Don't listen to this guy, he clearly don't know what hes talking about, for real!

Both the Rectifier and 6505 are based off of the Soldano SLO-100 circuit.

I don't care what Lasse has to say since 1)He does not play death metal 2)his tones are always way to scooped 3)I read in a old thread that he said he would never use a bare knuckle aftermath for anything that involved fast riffing 4)He also said that the painkiller/nailbomb etc were "muddy" when I play brutal death metal at easily 50x the speed of any demo I've heard from him with a bare knuckle Holy Diver in the bridge with is generally regarded as the loosest contemporary BKP.

Seriously some of guys on this board are a little to crazy about tone, if the OP is playing death metal (or any of its relative genres) ENGL amps slay.

Both the Rectifier and 6505 are based off of the Soldano SLO-100 circuit.

I don't care what Lasse has to say since 1)He does not play death metal 2)his tones are always way to scooped 3)I read in a old thread that he said he would never use a bare knuckle aftermath for anything that involved fast riffing 4)He also said that the painkiller/nailbomb etc were "muddy" when I play brutal death metal at easily 50x the speed of any demo I've heard from him with a bare knuckle Holy Diver in the bridge with is generally regarded as the loosest contemporary BKP.

Seriously some of guys on this board are a little to crazy about tone, if the OP is playing death metal (or any of its relative genres) ENGL amps slay.

I'm all for healthy discussion but your arguments are irrelevant without evidence. Clips or gtfo.

2)his tones are always way to scooped

Criticizing scooped tones and then insinuating that ENGLs can do anything BUT scooped tones is a bit silly.

Really? Its a much closer than say a JCM800 compared to a Triple XXX. I've played both and they had similar characteristics.

I owned all those amps you listed there. I could agree on that the XXX and the 5150 sounds a bit the same but the triple X is tighter and is a bit more scoped but the voicing is pretty much the same.

But saying a Dual Rectifier and a 5150 sounds the same, well that just shows off how littleyou know.

Oi.

I would actually say to get a diff cab instead. The cab makes a larger difference on tape IMO than an amp would, and you could have way more versatility with blending and such. If you are set on an amp though, the Baron K2 is awesome at uber modern tones. 5150 and Recto sound, dial, and record nothing alike, I've owned both. A Marshall JCM800 is "based off" a Fender Twin circuit, that's about how far that argument flies.

Dual Rectifier. Try to find the old rack-mount 2 channel if possible. Between that and a 5150 you could achieve a very wide array of tones. After that I'd get a JCM 800.

all kinds of metal hardcore death metal all that modern stuff

you dont really need more than your 5150 lol, but if you definitely want more amps, specially for metal get a Krank Rev 1 first, after that a ENGL Blackmore and a Soldano SLO 100, maybe even a Peavey JSX. I wouldn't need anything more after those amps because I only play metal too hahaha.