Starting My Metal Collection

The Muffin Man

New Metal Member
May 29, 2007
I've been into metal for a couple of years now and have well over 400 albums but they are all downloaded illegally. Now Ive never had a problem with downloading music since pretty much all my friends do it however after searching around blabbermouth I was continuously surprised to see bands albums getting higher in the charts than their previous one yet selling alot less. It was then that I made my vow to never download an album illegally again. I got aload of albums for Christmas:
Arch Enemy- Rise of the Tyrant
Baroness- The Red Album
Damageplan- New Found Power
Death- Individual Thought Patterns
Himsa- Summon In Thunder
Hypocrisy- Into the Abyss
Nightwish- Dark Passion Play
Opeth- Roundhouse Tapes

Now Im gonna buy like 4 more CD's with money got from Christmas I was wondering if you guys any recommendations on what I should get. Im open to all types of metal apart from any sort of grind stuff, cheesy power metal or brutal death metal.

You seem to have an affinity for melodic death metal, so I'll recommend that you check out one of those threads in this forum.

Now Im gonna buy like 4 more CD's with money got from Christmas I was wondering if you guys any recommendations on what I should get. Im open to all types of metal apart from any sort of grind stuff, cheesy power metal or brutal death metal.

Something for each genre, including the ones you claim to dislike, just to banish your pre-conceived notions:

BLACK - Emperor: In the Nightside Eclipse
DEATH - Death: Symbolic
MELODIC DEATH - At the Gates: Slaughter of the Soul
BRUTAL DEATH - Suffocation: Effigy of the Forgotten
GRINDCORE - Carcass: Symphonies of Sickness
THRASH - Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss
POWER - Blind Guardian: Imagination From the Other Side
DOOM - Candlemass: Epicus Doomicus Metallicus

For melo-death.. 'The Jester Race'. Asides ATG and DT it's near enough the only melo-death I like.

He said no cheesy power metal or brutal death...bit of a mistake as both of those can be a lot of fun, but his loss...He also wrote of grindcore...

You have some death metal on there...if you haven't already gotten them illegally yet then get:
Behemoth - Demigod - Borders on brutal death, but it's not
Bloodbath - Nightmares Made Flesh - :kickass:
Vital Remains - Dechristianize - Kinda brutal, but I bet you'll dig it

For the more melodic death:
In Flames - The Jester Race, Subterranean
At The Gates - Slaughter Of The Soul, With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness
Dark Tranquility - The Gallery

All fuckin' brilliant albums
Not so much brilliant as just kickass - Amon Amarth - Once Sent From The Golden Hall

For miscellaneous subgenres of death metal get:
Orphaned Land - Mabool - mix of death metal, melodic death, and Middle Eastern folk music
Amorphis - Tales From The Thousand Lakes - great stuff

And then you'll also want to get old school death metal - Morbid Angel, Death, Obituary, Entombed, etc...

I noticed Damageplan on there, but I forgive you.

Now, other essential albums:
Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse, Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk
Bathory - Under The Sign Of The Black Mark, Hammerheart
Metallica - First four
Megadeth - Peace Sells, Rust In Peace
Slayer - Reign In Blood, South Of Heaven
Testament - The Legacy, The New Order, Practice What You Preach
Iron Maiden - Everything pre-90's, Brave New World :)rock:)
Judas Priest - Sad Wings Of Destiny, British Steel, Screaming For Vengeance, Painkiller
Mayhem - De Mysteris Dom Satanas, Deathcrush - not essential unless you dig black metal
Venom - Black Metal, Welcome To Hell - shitty but tons of fun
Motorhead - First 8 or so, probably, but they all kick ass

I'm stopping here because I could go on forever, but I'm lazy. So I've definitely omitted a whole bunch of things. But then, unless you recently robbed a bank my guess is it'll take you a while to get through these.

This should cover most of the basics. Now, if you've pirated 400+ albums, you must have at least some of these. If you've been a good little boy and deleted them, you don't anymore. Regardless, these are mostly albums you'll want to own on CD, because you'll play them again and again, lend them to friends, and sleep with them under your pillow.

Ok, dont use itunes. Buy full physical records.

Ok so I will give you, like Hatebreeder, a record for each genre.

Black:Emperor-In The Nightside Eclipse
Death:Obituary-Cause Of Death
Thrash:Sarcófago-I.N.R.I.

BLACK - Immortal - Sons of the Northern Darkness
DEATH - Carcass - Heartwork
MELODIC DEATH - In Flames - The Jester Race
THRASH - Hatesphere - The Sickness Within
DOOM - Swallow The Sun - The Morning Never Came

yeh i download illegal/legal
i download all my stuff from itunes
but i use stolen credit card

Yeah, since you use the stolen credit card it's cool because the band gets a bit of profit.

Necrophagist - Onset of Putrefacation
Aghora - Formless
Coroner - Mental Vortex
Graveworm - As the Angels Reach the Beauty

I'll just give you a simple 4 great albums from different metal genres off the top of my head. You can't go wrong here with any of these.

Testament - The Legacy, The New Order, Practice What You Preach

I seem to like "Souls of Black" best & I even like their Black Album "The Ritual" better than any of those.

Souls of Black
The Ritual
The New Order
The Legacy
Practice What You Preach

I didn't really like the direction they headed after Skolnick left. Low sucks, but "The Gathering" may be good to some people, but not me.

You might like to add a bit of Drone in there, if you can stomach it. If anything, it'll make your music collection look more interesting...

Sunn O))) - 00 Void, Black One (best two, in my opinion)

Buy some of the 400 albums you've downloaded? You must have an idea which one of those you like?

Otherwise, Bathory - Hammerheart is essential to anyone and every metalhead who doesn't own it is gay and lying.

Something for each genre, including the ones you claim to dislike, just to banish your pre-conceived notions:

BLACK - Emperor: In the Nightside Eclipse
DEATH - Death: Symbolic
MELODIC DEATH - At the Gates: Slaughter of the Soul
GRINDCORE - Carcass: Symphonies of Sickness
THRASH - Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss
DOOM - Candlemass: Epicus Doomicus Metallicus

All of this, plus:

BLACK - Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
DEATH - Morbid Angel - Covenant
MELODIC DEATH - Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
BRUTAL DEATH - Wormed - Planisphaerium
GRINDCORE - Napalm Death - Scum
THRASH - Kreator - Pleasure to Kill
POWER - (what he said)
DOOM - Pentagram - Day of Reckoning

check some of these out.....

Dissection-The Somberlain
Slayer-Reign in Blood
Fear Factory-Soul of a new Machine
Ensiferum-Ensiferum
Therion-Theli
Wintersun-Wintersun
Kalmah-Swamplord
Opeth-Orchid
Finntroll-Jaktens Tid
Sigh-Hail Horror Hail
Bal Sagoth-Starfire burning upon the ice veiled throne of Ultima Thule

Behemoth - Demigod - Borders on brutal death, but it's not
More like "borders on melodeath". Weak.

Anyway, thread starter should try not to load up on bands he's familiar with in the short term. Branch out and get a lot of different bands rather than picking up 5-8 albums from one band and then moving to the next. This will help you figure out what you like faster, and then if you have a few misses in a row, you can go back to something you like.

Don't feel obligated to buy the old classics if you already have heard them. Those labels and bands generally don't need your money as much as underground bands. So don't bother to buy Metallica albums.

Weak in the sense that it's not brutal at all. It's poppy. That's why it's so popular. The only thing "brutal" about it is the awful sounding overdubs on the vocals.

Also weak in that it's nowhere near excellent.