Steve Wilson Confirms: I am producing The New Opeth Album

Wilson is awesome producer because he can make your voice sound like IT'S COMING FROM A TEELPHONE!

personaly, and i know i proubly will be bitched at and i hardly post ..what ever fuck it.

i think steve should of stuck with his own shit, and im pretty sure mikael really digs steve so its proubly not all steves fault for doing all that he has done. Steve wilson is a genius dont get me wrong i love porcupine tree but i really feel he should of stuck with PT, opeth had a style that was so unique to me, but ever since i have heard their last 3 cds i feel that uniqeness is fading and i cant feel it anymore. the energy surrounding morningrise, MAYH, orchid and Some of still life has vanished , this new stuff just sound more machine produced.

w/e im high so i know im no use for a thought tran

peace guys and take care
\m/

Now it's pretty obvious that the last three Opeth cds sound alot different from the first two, but lots of you guys are saying that Opeth is losing their uniqueness or originality.

Well, exactly who else sounds like Opeth? I haven't heard of any bands that sound like what Opeth sound like now. However, according to Mike, there are now plenty of bands that sound like the Orchid/Morningrise style in Sweden apparently.

yea i mean everyone will have a different opinion, none of these can be proved or really disproved.but i havent really heard much other bands sound like old opeth, and who knows that could be true but untill theyre alot of bands who to resemble those years, i will believe that was the best musical time period for them.

And new inflames is sounding pretty below par when compared to past cd's such a jester race.ohwell

If that's the case, I'm sure there'll be alot of bands sounding like Deliverance and Blackwater Park, or whatever in the future. All of the 'lesser' bands so to speak, do direct style ripoffs and if that was the case with the first two albums, I'm sure alot of people will start copying OPeth's more unique styles.

SW brought some new elements that made BWP interesting... but...
Quite honestly, the last few albums have been predictable and less dynamic than earlier efforts. Not sure if Steve Wilson is the reason for this or not... but in my mind, I tend to think he is. He adds a lot of effects that I don't particular care for - like the ultra layered guitars (sounds almost like nu-metal bands), the phone booth vocals (previously mentioned), and you don't hear Michael multi-track his vocals anymore. I'm also not sure why Opeth have decided to practical abandon the acoustic/folk element that really made them unique... Their albums used to be a 50/50 splitt of acoustic/electric guitar... now they are about 20/80...
Again, SW's production approach can be partially the blame as the acoustic guitars tend to be subdued and more in the background than previous efforts.
My overall opinion is just this - I'd prefer Opeth take a simpler approach to producing their albums... They write, play and sing well enough that they don't need to cover it up with flashy producing techniques ala Steve Wilson. To me the last two albums definitely would have been better without him.

I don't think Deliverance was overproduced at all. It's clear-sounding and they use some tr1x here and there, but it's really far away from flashy pop metal albums and stuff like that.

I do have to say that I like albums with weird or kinda bad production, though. They feel more special in the long run. It'd be nice if their next album sounded sort of muddy, because I'll hear new things in music like that for months or years as my ears finally pick it out.

Opeth is just making a different album with every release..which is what all bands should do.

It's just like Martin says in the documentary..If you see Mikael goin ---->this way..then you know he's going to go <----- that way. {If that translated well into text...}