STEVEN WILSON new solo album + tour

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
Via Steven Wilson ( PORCUPINE TREE / BLACKFIELD ) Facebook page:

"I'm very happy to announce that following the release of my new solo album "Grace For Drowning" in September, I will be undertaking my first ever solo tour of Europe and North America. For this tour I am very fortunate to have the talents of an extraordinary line up of musicians to perform the music - Marco Minnemann on drums, Nick Beggs on bass, Aziz Ibrahim on guitar, Gary Husband on keyboards, and Theo Travis on flute / sax. And myself (not extraordinary) on vocals, guitars and keyboards. The shows will also include a lot of multimedia and films, material that is being especially prepared by Lasse Hoile as we speak. The music will be drawn from both my solo albums (the newest of which is a double CD, so there is plenty of material to choose from), but please do not come along and shout out for PT songs! The dates will be announced in the next 24 hours or so at www.gracefordrowning.com, but run approximately from mid October to mid November. Please come along if you can, I think these shows are going to be quite an adventure."

United States of America (November 2011)

November 8th – Orlando, FL – House of Blues
November 10th – Baltimore, MD – Ram’s Head Live
November 11th – NY, NY – Best Buy Theater
November 12th – Philadelphia, PA – Temple Performing Arts Center
November 13th – Boston, MA – Berklee Performance Center
November 18th – Chicago, IL – Park West

Via Steven Wilson ( PORCUPINE TREE / BLACKFIELD ) Facebook page:

"I'm very happy to announce that following the release of my new solo album "Grace For Drowning" in September, I will be undertaking my first ever solo tour of Europe and North America. For this tour I am very fortunate to have the talents of an extraordinary line up of musicians to perform the music - Marco Minnemann on drums, Nick Beggs on bass, Aziz Ibrahim on guitar, Gary Husband on keyboards, and Theo Travis on flute / sax. And myself (not extraordinary) on vocals, guitars and keyboards. The shows will also include a lot of multimedia and films, material that is being especially prepared by Lasse Hoile as we speak. The music will be drawn from both my solo albums (the newest of which is a double CD, so there is plenty of material to choose from), but please do not come along and shout out for PT songs! The dates will be announced in the next 24 hours or so at www.gracefordrowning.com, but run approximately from mid October to mid November. Please come along if you can, I think these shows are going to be quite an adventure."

United States of America (November 2011)

November 8th – Orlando, FL – House of Blues
November 10th – Baltimore, MD – Ram’s Head Live
November 11th – NY, NY – Best Buy Theater
November 12th – Philadelphia, PA – Temple Performing Arts Center
November 13th – Boston, MA – Berklee Performance Center
November 18th – Chicago, IL – Park West

I will have to go to this.

Am I the only one who thinks he's being a little girl asking people not to shout Porcupine Tree songs? Is his solo-material self-esteem that low?

No, because that's one of those most annoying things about this type of show - both as a fellow spectator and to the performer on stage.

No, because that's one of those most annoying things about this type of show - both as a fellow spectator and to the performer on stage.

Well, he is known because of Porcupine Tree, not his other stuff. Can you really blame the fans? If they're paying a crazy amount of money to see him (which they probably are), can you blame the fans for wanting to see him playing the songs they know? Yes, I know it's a "different" show, but still.

Also, don't forget that Steven Wilson writes amazing music, but he's also pretentious as fuck. And he's just gotten worse in the past couple of years...

Well, he is known because of Porcupine Tree, not his other stuff. Can you really blame the fans?

Yes! I would like "fans" to check their stupidity and cool-guy attitudes at the door.
People heckling for PT songs they know won't get played, will do it for one of two reasons.
1. They're dumb. This is not likely, I hope. If they're capable of buying a ticket for this show, meaning they had to request a ticket for a show that isn't PT, knowing that it isn't PT, then they should not go to the show thinking they are owed songs that aren't by the performing band.
2. They're trying to act cool. This is sadly all too common. Geniuses in their own minds, and nobody elses. Look for these same people at movie theaters showing off their brilliant wit by loudly pointing out the fire exits during the warning that's shown before the movie starts, or commenting on preview scenes.

If SW *does* decide to pull out a few PT songs, then it should be an added cool bonus on top of his own show, not something he does because "fans" are yelling at him about it.

I've been to a number of shows featuring such audience members. It's never anything but obnoxious and annoying.

Yes! I would like "fans" to check their stupidity and cool-guy attitudes at the door.
People heckling for PT songs they know won't get played, will do it for one of two reasons.
1. They're dumb. This is not likely, I hope. If they're capable of buying a ticket for this show, meaning they had to request a ticket for a show that isn't PT, knowing that it isn't PT, then they should not go to the show thinking they are owed songs that aren't by the performing band.
2. They're trying to act cool. This is sadly all too common. Geniuses in their own minds, and nobody elses. Look for these same people at movie theaters showing off their brilliant wit by loudly pointing out the fire exits during the warning that's shown before the movie starts, or commenting on preview scenes.

So it has nothing to do with the simple fact that the fans might want to see that, right? Okay. Then let me ask you this: what if there are fans who go to this show after supporting SW for a long time, NOT KNOWING of his request, yell out the PT songs? Are they assholes, stupid, or cool-guys?

Cut the typical Steve Wilson, prog-fan attitude bro. SW is not going to pay your bills. You don't need to get so sensitive over it.

TychoCelchu said:
I've been to a number of shows featuring such audience members. It's never anything but obnoxious and annoying.

Funny, it seems to me that only the hardcore prog fans get annoyed at that. Fans will be fans. It's almost like leaving a big friggin' sign at the door saying "IF YOU STAY ON THE FLOOR, TRY NOT TO BUMP INTO PEOPLE. NO BODY CONTACT ALLOWED" It's part of the whole "rock concert" thing.

If SW *does* decide to pull out a few PT songs, then it should be an added cool bonus on top of his own show, not something he does because "fans" are yelling at him about it.

+1,000,000...Post of the Week! It's called RESPECT!!! I sure as hell don't want someone at work yelling for that awesome spreadheet I did while working at Washington Mutual back in April of 2005 when I currently do equally or better than awesome spreadsheets for Bank of America. :wave:

+1,000,000...Post of the Week! It's called RESPECT!!! I sure as hell don't want someone at work yelling for that awesome spreadheet I did while working at Washington Mutual back in April of 2005 when I currently do equally or better than awesome spreadsheets for Bank of America. :wave:

:lol:

Yeah, 'cause that's expected at a bank right? :lol:

I guess you're both missing my point. I don't support people doing that. But I think he's a bit pretentious of him to say that in his press release. That's it. :)

So it has nothing to do with the simple fact that the fans might want to see that, right? Okay. Then let me ask you this: what if there are fans who go to this show after supporting SW for a long time, NOT KNOWING of his request, yell out the PT songs? Are they assholes, stupid, or cool-guys?

Actually, SW actually writing that request had little to do what I think about it. If anything, it implies that he feels the same way about it - and he knows it's probably coming, request or no requesting. Ergo, the answer is still yes. If a long-time PT fan - such a person being likely to have already seen PT several times - goes to this show, unaware of his request, and continuously (that's an edit) yells out for PT songs, they are all three of those things.

The people I'm really describing with my previous post are the ones who continuously yell the same thing after it becomes clear that the band isn't going to play it. I don't mean when somebody who shouts a request once or twice and then gets over it.

Cut the typical Steve Wilson, prog-fan attitude bro. SW is not going to pay your bills. You don't need to get so sensitive over it.

? How is this directly relevant? What's my typical prog-fan attitude?

I don't even know what SW's "attitude" is either (besides his specific press release). He seems like a guy who plays guitar and writes songs. He also seems like a guy who wants listeners to gel with all of his modes of expression - not deal with people who are overly fixated on one avenue.

Funny, it seems to me that only the hardcore prog fans get annoyed at that. Fans will be fans.

I don't think it's limited to hardcore prog fans. Nor do I have a problem with fans being fans. By all means, shout for songs that actually are by the band playing that you want to hear. Being at a rock concert is not an excuse to act like a dipshit. You can clown around and goof off and make noise without crossing the obnoxious-dipshit line. Intentionally heckling in the described nature is over that line. That's not fans being fans, if anything, it's "fans refusing to be fans".

I guess you're both missing my point. I don't support people doing that. But I think he's a bit pretentious of him to say that in his press release. That's it. :)

Yeah, I can understand this. There's two points in it - one being whether SW is pretentious or not, and two being how we actually feel about the action described (regardless of actual performer involved). It's just easy to get carried away talking about the second point.

Also I screwed up the quoting in my last post. pffft.

Yeah, 'cause that's expected at a bank right? :lol:

I fully understand your point, but how many times have you actually witnessed a performer respond to an overzealous fan by saying, "Holy fuck, how could I have forgotten to add that song to the setlist...thanks so much for bringing it to our attention. Hit it boys!!!"

Like never...IMO, it is self-indulgent and rude.

If a long-time PT fan - such a person being likely to have already seen PT several times - goes to this show, unaware of his request, and yells out for PT songs, they are all three of those things.

Alright, if that's your opinion, I'll take it. I still don't see how that makes sense, but ok. :)

TychoCelchu said:
The people I'm really describing with my previous post are the ones who continuously yell the same thing after it becomes clear that the band isn't going to play it. I don't mean when somebody who shouts a request once or twice and then gets over it.

See, I don't disagree with THAT. But I don't see SW explaining that.

TychoCelchu said:
? How is this directly relevant? What's my typical prog-fan attitude?
Fair enough, sorry about that. The way you came off, so defensively, made me question whether you're a fan, or one of those arrogant PT fanboys, who think they're the greatest band on Earth. Those who would still think Steven Wilson if he started writing pop-punk sang by Avril Lavigne. The "ah, the world just doesn't get it" ones.

TychoCelchu said:
I don't even know what SW's "attitude" is either (besides his specific press release). He seems like a guy who plays guitar and writes songs. He also seems like a guy who wants listeners to gel with all of his modes of expression - not deal with people who are overly fixated on one avenue.

I just noticed that in the past couple of years, SW has become increasingly arrogant and obnoxious. He's constantly criticized the scene where his music is supposedly a part of (progressive rock and metal), bands, and etc. Sure, he might think his music is genius and that he's the musical equivalent of Jesus Christ, but he's not. I really like PT and Blackfield, for instance, but the guy needs to stop coming off as such a little asshole sometimes. I'd look for some interview excerpts but I'll just leave it at that.

TychoCelchu said:
I don't think it's limited to hardcore prog fans. Nor do I have a problem with fans being fans. By all means, shout for songs that actually are by the band playing that you want to hear.

Perhaps. But if you know the hardcore prog fans (to avoid using the term progsnob), you know exactly what I'm talking about and the type of attitude I'm talking about. Unless of course, you're part of that group (which you now seem NOT to be). Usually those are in denial.

TychoCelchu said:
Being at a rock concert is not an excuse to act like a dipshit.

Agreed 1,000%. Shouting a certain song you wanna hear (NOT REPEATEDLY), however, doesn't make you a dipshit.

TychoCelchu said:
You can clown around and goof off and make noise without crossing the obnoxious-dipshit line. Intentionally heckling in the described nature is over that line. That's not fans being fans, if anything, it's "fans refusing to be fans".

Again, I didn't disagree with that at any point. :)

I fully understand your point, but how many times have you actually witnessed a performer respond to an overzealous fan by saying, "Holy fuck, how could I have forgotten to add that song to the setlist...thanks so much for bringing it to our attention. Hit it boys!!!"

I actually have witnessed that. :lol: Well, more like "Oh, you guys want to hear that? We were going to play this instead, but since you requested, let's do it."

Yeah, I can understand this. There's two points in it - one being whether SW is pretentious or not, and two being how we actually feel about the action described (regardless of actual performer involved). It's just easy to get carried away talking about the second point.

Also I screwed up the quoting in my last post. pffft.

Of course.

*Steven Wilson Mode On*
And, please don't screw up quoting me in the future.

*Steven Wilson Mode Off*

See, I don't disagree with THAT. But I don't see SW explaining that.

I think we're on the same page except for this small and essentially non-critical point. I do think that it is OK for SW to ask in a press release for people not to ask *at all*, without having to specify that he means repeat-hecklers. So on that point I think we just plain disagree. Understood.

To project a little bit, I think SW fully expects there to be one guy at every show who does it anyway, but I'm sure he will take it in stride and with humor.

Am I the only one who thinks he's being a little girl asking people not to shout Porcupine Tree songs?

Seems like it. I read it as something totally different, simply a way to set peoples' expectations correctly: "This is a SW tour, so don't come expecting a bunch of PT material". I've gone (and not gone!) to plenty of shows where I've wondered before buying tickets "what sort of material does this artist plan on playing on this tour?" In this case, Wilson actually TOLD us in advance, so good for him. More information is better than less information.

Shouting a certain song you wanna hear (NOT REPEATEDLY), however, doesn't make you a dipshit.

Dipshit is a little strong, but I'd say "ignorant" fits at least. Yeah, if it's your first concert and you're under the impression that bands just randomly decide to play songs as they go, I can understand shouting out requests. But once you've been to a few shows and have heard of the Internet, you should be aware that very few bands make deviations from their pre-planned setlists. And those who do usually only do it at certain points (during/around the encore), and usually only from a limited set of possible alternatives. Wilson is essentially telling us that this band won't be rehearsing any PT songs, so they can't just start playing anything at the drop of a hat.

Neil