Still Day Beneath The Sun and Patterns and Ivy 2 disscussion thread

Alright, well I just got Still Day Beneath The Sun... my impressions:

First Listen: SHIT! This is Opeth?

Second Listen: *getting scared by change*... gotta listen to some Drapery Falls

Third Listen: Yeah... this is pretty cool... *helps me relax/drift off*

Fourth Listen: Argh, need more... need new album... new Patterns 2... must repeat this track more.

:D What more is there to be said about Opeth? haha...

Interesting song, 'still day' that is, havent got the other one yet.

Was dissapointed at first, its nice enough, but they seem to be treading ground which has been done by numerous bands before.. but its nice enough.

Id expect a song or two like this on the new album, but im yet to hear the range of mellow stuff from Opeth's music that will create a CD as varied, original and technically good as their other albums so far. So im hoping for far more than i have been shown so far in their career... otherwise i shall class it only as a 'nice' album.

Wow...just got Still Day...all I can say is....wow.....amazing....Mikael sounds amazing.......sould love to hear this with bass....or maybe the charm is that its just a guitar...I dunno...almost too beautiful for words....I wanna cry......

I'm INCREDIBLY looking forward to their mellow CD (I just simply cannot wait any longer.....:cool: any idea when it'll be out? Is the day near?)

Even moreso, I am looking forward to the other side....the other CD. Like someone has said earlier, it sure as hell better be dark in sound....similar to that of Morningrise and Orchid...oh, I want those vocals back already! (It may mot happen, though - most-likely.) If so....whatever...I still can't wait for BOTH CD's!

Well something like Still Day is not what I'd expect from a fully mastered, professionally recorded album. I think these 2 songs are just a transition phase, or just some experimenting by Mikael... as he said, he was in a 'Nick Drake' mood when they were made, so I guess that says it all. I have the utmost confidence that he'll write 2 beautiful albums.

I got the album today. Strange enough, I can't access the two tracks on my computer. I place it in, I explore it on the d drive, and I can't access it. Is there anyway I can?

QUOTE]Originally posted by Opethfan1980

I don't know if I ever would have gotten into Opeth if not for their mellow work (I didn't like death metal at all before Opeth), and I'm still quite fond of their softer side.
[/QUOTE]

Just quoting this cos it was exactly the same for me. I had only heard Cannibal Corpse before I got into Opeth and avoided growling like the plague, I thought death lyrics were the sign of satanism and aimless agression, but when I heard Opeth needless to say that all changed.
Edge of Sanity came next and now I love growling, but without the acoustics I wouldn't have been drawn to Opeth.

These songs only lack bass and drums, I'm sure they'll add them though to other songs.

I finally heard the 2 new tracks.. AfuckingMazing...
I cant believe how much Mikael's clean vocals have matured. sound ALOT like Jonas Renske on Patterns II... I can't wait to hear more... I'm very happy to see that Mike actually posts here. That is so amazing in itself. Too bad we cant get more of Opeth to come here and "hang out" with us. :D

I don't understand the comparisons to Jonas. The difference being...Mikael isn't flat.

I was terrified to hear the new songs, since I read this thread first. But I'm sooooo relieved. Especially about his vocs. I think they're great.

But I agree with YaYo's comments -- it's been done before. I hope that these will be more like interludes rather than actual songs (although, hmmm, 4.5 minutes is a long-ass interlude).

Thank god there will be a heavy album, as well. After all, Opeth's charm is that they do both at the same time. Without either side, they're just like everyone else.

So are the songs as released on the re-issue just as bare as what I'm finding on Audiogalaxy? Does anyone else find it a tad annoying that they just threw a jam session, essentially, on the album and call it "two new songs"? I know the band's not out to make money off this, but couldn't they have at least recorded it in a studio? Seems kinda tacky.

So are the songs as released on the re-issue just as bare as what I'm finding on Audiogalaxy? Does anyone else find it a tad annoying that they just threw a jam session, essentially, on the album and call it "two new songs"? I know the band's not out to make money off this, but couldn't they have at least recorded it in a studio? Seems kinda tacky.

Cant argue with brilliance... even if its only a "demo" its new and its Opeth. Mikael is an amazing musician. right up there with the greats. Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple etc..

Originally posted by Lina
So are the songs as released on the re-issue just as bare as what I'm finding on Audiogalaxy? Does anyone else find it a tad annoying that they just threw a jam session, essentially, on the album and call it "two new songs"? I know the band's not out to make money off this, but couldn't they have at least recorded it in a studio? Seems kinda tacky. [/B]

The recordings given out over the internet aren't as polished in sound quality as the songs are on the cds. It may be my imagination I'm not sure.

I wouldn't call it a jam session, though. There's an "ephemeral" aesthetic quality about the songs themselves that might lend to their feeling like "interludes", but I think that's the way the songs are supposed to be. Taken for what they actually are- after-album songs (kinda like after-meal mints, hehe)- they're great songs. They cap off a long album, with two quiet "twilight" songs.

The thing I'm tee'd off about right now is that the artwork is the same - it's not different. The only cool thing is the cd sleeve, which is all black with a glossy black O which is cool. The video, though, is damn boring.

(hmm, any other band we know of that produced an all black album? jk.)

Yeah, I gotta admit, I was pretty close to tears, too, when I first heard "Still Day." It's just an achingly beautiful song. Patterns II isn't quite as good, IMO, but it's still wonderful. I probably just need to listen to it more.

(Oh, and if you can't find patterns II, it's because you can't abbreviate your search. You have to type in "patterns in the ivy II" exactly like that, or it won't show up).