Still Day Beneath The Sun and Patterns and Ivy 2 disscussion thread

Originally posted by D Mullholand
interesting note, can you elaborate on this? what do you mean exactly?
Well, the new mellow CD is going to be different it seems, its not going to be just Opeth without the distortion, its going to involve different styles of riffs that they havent done that much before, different focal points, different uses of certain acoustic riffs (ie. without the distortion for major contrast some of their commonly used ideas/formulas wont work, or as my previous point stated, there will need to be different styles included to replace the distortion.. ), different song and album structure, different overall imagery or feeling for the songs, different experimentation with EQ for each riff, obviously vocals are an issue (ie Mikael needs to develop a lot more clean vocal lines than normal... i think the new songs show he will do this fine though, with enough variation and new styles of singing). etc etc etc you get the idea.

The thing is, if you took Opeth's 5 albums and put all the clean/acoustic elements together into an album, you'd end up with an alright album, but nowhere near the range needed to create an album with songs as interesting and varied in dynamics and emotions as Still Life or Mayh or whatever.

And that is what im talking about, will the mellow cd be to the same quality as their normal CDs are.... or will the quality of riffs (ie originality, creativity) and range (of styles, dynamics within riffs.... and also range of different 'feels' for each overall song) on the mellow CD be below the level of your Still Life's and MAYH's.

An opeth mellow CD that doesnt address all the issues i bring up will still be quite enjoyable to listen to i imagine, but if it comes off sounding like something that has been done to a similar level by many other bands before, then thats not really what opeth are about.

Originally posted by YaYoGakk
The thing is, if you took Opeth's 5 albums and put all the clean/acoustic elements together into an album, you'd end up with an alright album, but nowhere near the range needed to create an album with songs as interesting and varied in dynamics and emotions as Still Life or Mayh or whatever.

And that is what im talking about, will the mellow cd be to the same quality as their normal CDs are.... or will the quality of riffs (ie originality, creativity) and range (of styles, dynamics within riffs.... and also range of different 'feels' for each overall song) on the mellow CD be below the level of your Still Life's and MAYH's.
yep. i agree. but for now i hope that MA and the guys can reinvent their music and show that their strength does not depend on sheer inclusion of parts with different volume and sounds chosen, and on a listener with a relaxed mind to ignore the formulaic 4-time repetition of the Riff.