still life 5.1 release date: 31st march 2008...

I really need to invest in a 5.1 system. I've preordered the Still Life reissue (USA release date: April 15), and I have a few other CDs that came with 5.1 DVDAs. I've never listened to anything in 5.1, but from all the raving I've read about it, I need to check into it.

Hey I preordered too, and I live in the USA. If I ordered mine this past monday, when do you think i should expect it in?

Recieved mine today...:) At first I was a bit disappointed about the normal CD... i couldnt really hear some improvements and so I quickly put in the DVD and... I am amazed.... this is totally worth it... the roundhouse video is also pretty cool. And for those who don´t own a 5.1 System... go out and get one. this is the ultimate listening experience!! (but beware of the cheap shit-systems....! ;) )

Edit: Fuck Im listening to it right now and experiencing still life in a way I never was able before!! Damn the Surroundmix is nice...:)

For whoever was asking, the Stereo remaster of Still Life doesn't add that much to the album. Everything is cleaner sounding and clearer, but its not like you can hear anything new in the mix.

Got it today! Lovely digibook with amazing artwork.

As for the music itself, I'm listening to the stereo CD right now. It sounds definitely clearer and more powerful than the original version, but I'm really anxious to listen to the 5.1 mix. The surround system is at my parents' home so I'll have to wait until this upcoming weekend to play it.

I got mine yesterday and didn't get a chance to listen to it till pretty late, must have pissed off the neighbors haha, fuck them, it was fantastic. If you have a 5.1 system, don't worry you won't be disappointed.

Pre-ordered mine and am anxiously awaiting it. I re-listened to the GR 5.1 mix and was reminded why I don't really listen to it. Not very good. I'm hoping SL .1 is significantly different.

Does the 2 channel remaster simply sound louder? Is it more compressed? What's the deal with it? Can anyone describe its sound in a meaningful way?

Pre-ordered mine and am anxiously awaiting it. I re-listened to the GR 5.1 mix and was reminded why I don't really listen to it. Not very good. I'm hoping SL .1 is significantly different.

Does the 2 channel remaster simply sound louder? Is it more compressed? What's the deal with it? Can anyone describe its sound in a meaningful way?

Hey what is that comic called in your sig?
I've read it in Danish: Sten & Stoffer, and it's great but I have no idea what it's originally called.

Hey what is that comic called in your sig?
I've read it in Danish: Sten & Stoffer, and it's great but I have no idea what it's originally called.

"Calvin and Hobbes." Like the philosophers. Why the hell would the title change???? Weird.

^ it's Calvin and Hobbes.

also to (sort of) answer soundave's question, the stereo mix is pretty similar to the original, just a bit louder and brighter. The 5.1 mix however has newly recorded stuff and it quite amazing. Unfortunately not even the high resolution stereo image on the DVD features this new remix... only the 5.1.

EDIT: you beat me to it.

I got mine today... went to buy it finally after a week trying to ordered it home with no success (fucken credit card)
I'm listening to the 5.1 mix right now... seriously guys, I wanna cry! OMFG!!!!!!!!! GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it sounds like they re-recorded it and Mike's vocals...... ohhhhhhhh the VOCALS!!!!!
u can hear each instrument so clearly and the solossssssssssssssssss
I'm just breathless right now...

I finally got mine in! I may have the first copy in America, seeing as I ordered it from Australia 5 days before it was released and the shipping just took forever...

The stereo mix is hardly different, almost like they just put a new EQ on it...

The 5.1 mix:

Finally a meaning full center channel! It was amazing from the first second of the moor you know that you are listening to genius production. The only unaccountable aspect (I don't know why everyone thinks they re-recorded stuff for this mix cause they didn't) of the sound was in the moor, Mikael whispers "Melinda" during an acoustic transition. It gave me goosebumps. Every other sound was just emphasized differently, and while none of it was new, the presentation was brilliant. The transitions in SPD of the "White face" and "haggard grin" and "SPD" from left to right to center was spooky and evil sounding!

Benighted was amazing, and when the electric guitars and drums come in near the end the melding of the sounds is just perfect. All of the harmonies are easier to hear and the acoustic guitars are crystal clear. I would say that the moor is my favorite in 5.1 but maybe thats just cause I was to deaf after listening to it so loud.

I got goosebumps multiple times and the first slow "chorus" on Godhead gave me such sorrow and emotion as I have never heard from any music before!

I do have to say, I could have mixed some of the parts better, but seeing as I won't ever have the chance I am happy with this mix! GO buy it, if you don't have 5.1 there is no point, the Melinda film is off of the roundhouse tapes, nothing special. So go buy a 5.1 and then buy it.

It is now, by far, my most prized piece of music and I hope I will never get tired of it.

lol... some things are OBVIOUSLY rerecorded if youve heard the original as many times as some of us have

all of benighted's guitars are probably completely rerecorded, theres even a different note in the guitar solo which makes it sound kinda weird to me now

the whispering of melinda in the moor has always been there...

the end of serenity painted death cuts off at a different point now

etcetc

I haven't got my copy yet, but I would be extremly surprised if they actually re recorded any of it, I guess I'll find out though.

You are right at 10:10 in the original moor the whisper is there I just had never noticed it before.

But you are wrong about the recording of other parts. I agree it sounds different but that is due to new eq's which emphasize new frequencies and harmonies. Other tracks of guitar were emphasized which also makes it sound different.

But there is NO WAY they recorded anything new.

Speaking of the end of SPD, the fret noise is terrible!

someone i know talked to frederik and he told him that all the acoustic guitars have been rerecorded by mikael. and if you cant tell that he plays the acoustic parts of benighted slightly different and the solo is just completely new i dunno what to tell you lol.

just an example so you can see im right, listen to the slide mikael plays in the original version at the beginning of benighted (like 4-5 seconds) and see how the slide is much shorter in the new version
also in the new version - the solo - go to 3:23, that note is clearllly new
well maybe not new but he hardly plays it in the original solo

Well, here's a good comparison of the TWO different cover shots. In my opinion, while the new cover is a good one and is a nice variation of the old, there's no way it's superior. What I miss is the dark contrasts of the original. The new one just has TOO much red in it and the "washed-out" feel is not for me. In fact, the Still Life font itself is enough to prefer the original over the new one hehe.

I can't wait to listen to the 5.1 mix of the album, though. I've got a GOOD set up so it should be a REAL blast cranking this shit up! Looks like I'll have THREE copies of the album now.