Stolen MBP. Need help discretely retaking control of computer.

TPCalm

iShred
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
www.facebook.com
Okay.
Here's the situation:
Police are being close to useless.
The person with my laptop has logged on (computer is not password protected) and I've gotten a hold of their current IP address but I need more.
While the chances are slim, I'd like to find a super discrete, one-click program that installs itself and keylogs all activity, content, everything.

The idea is to stick this program into my Dropbox folder under the name "credit card info", "passwords.txt", ect. and hope the the user opens the file.
This cannot be a .pkg or an .iso.
Like I said, this "thing" needs to be a file that installs in one click and one click only.

I've run out of things to search for.

Has anyone ever heard of anything of the sort?

EDIT: Stolen computer is running Snow Leopard.

There's a good few programs that would help out in this situation, but you need to install them _before_ the machine is stolen.

its shitty, but as it stands, even if you get "something" into the dropbox folder it's not going to do very much, OS X doesn't like rogue processes launching themselves and running rampant on the system.

I think you're out of luck there pal, unless you happen to be a super hacker who's familiar with the inner workings of the OS, which I assume you're not since you're making this topic. But hey you never know, something might turn up if you Google around a bit, but I doubt it.

Why is it that you want to log all activity, what are you hoping to find? A name?

Yeah, anything that will give me more information about this guy.
I could use anything at all, thanks to the wonders of the internet.

That's unbelievable that nothing like what I'm talking about exists on the OS X platform.
I guess it's a good thing for the most part.

PCs have hundreds of remote keyloggers available that can be sent through an email, installed, and up and running in one click.

Fuck.

you can probably install things remotely via terminal, using the sudo command (single user) but this all depends on the cunt that nicked it being logged on but not using it. how did you find out he logged on/his ip?

Okay.
Here's the situation:
Police are being close to useless.
The person with my laptop has logged on (computer is not password protected) and I've gotten a hold of their current IP address but I need more.
While the chances are slim, I'd like to find a super discrete, one-click program that installs itself and keylogs all activity, content, everything.

The idea is to stick this program into my Dropbox folder under the name "credit card info", "passwords.txt", ect. and hope the the user opens the file.
This cannot be a .pkg or an .iso.
Like I said, this "thing" needs to be a file that installs in one click and one click only.

I've run out of things to search for.

Has anyone ever heard of anything of the sort?

there is a product that you could have installed onto your laptop BEFORE it was stolen, that would have allowed you to moniter what's happening on your laptop's webbrowser from your PC, this is a product that's made for parents to buy to spy on what their kids are doing online,

i gotta tell you that, yes, it really is physically possible to do what you're asking us to help you with, but because you didn't already install what i've just described above, it's actually illegal for you to access your laptop from another computer, if you are physically in USA when you become able to moniter what's going on in your laptops webbrowser, well then, about 10 min later, the NSA will bust down your door for "hacking" into your own computer

all laptops come with built-in-GPS that normal police can't access, if your laptop's being used by a drug-lord and/or sex-slave-ring-master and/or gun-runner, etc etc, then the DEA and/or CIA and/or ATF etc will find your laptop and you'll never see it again becautse it will be used as evidence against people that aren't you, and your laptop will be stuck in an evidence locker for the rest of you life

if you were a congressman/senator/governor/celeb/one of the 50 richest people in america, then the FBI could easily find your laptop for you, but don't they won't do that kind of thing for random people

in terms of getting your laptop back, you're screwed, if you're able to give the local police a specific name and they actually retrieve your laptop from this guy's house, you didn't have your laptop password protected so you'd prolly have a hard time proving that it really was yours, so again, there's the very real risk of your laptop being stuck in a property room for the rest of your life

what i would do, is call your bank/credit card company and then call whatever company your paying if your paying morgatge/rent/car payment, etc etc, and tell all these people that your laptop got stolen, doing this will minimize/get you re-imbursed for any damage caused by your laptop's theif trying to steal your identity

Yeah, anything that will give me more information about this guy.
I could use anything at all, thanks to the wonders of the internet.

That's unbelievable that nothing like what I'm talking about exists on the OS X platform.
I guess it's a good thing for the most part.

PCs have hundreds of remote keyloggers available that can be sent through an email, installed, and up and running in one click.

Fuck.

if you've got this guy's IP address, you could just give this to the local police and when they fail to arrest your laptop's theif, you could then sue the police department for failing to do their job

when you go to a website that asks you to pay for stuff online, the webmaster sees your phisical snail-mail address when he sees your IP address, so he can send you a paper copy of the bill for the stuff you bought from the website, it shouldn't be that hard for you to aquire the phisical address of where your laptop's being used, but you can't just physically yourself walk over there and phisically grab it, because you'll be arrested for criminal tresspassing and theft

stuff running on OS X platform is hard to get back once it's stolen, unless you had bothered to password protect it

about remote keyloggers
i thought they were invented for law enforcement to use to solve cases
i thought they were illegal for civilians to use, under the whole "invasion of privacy" thing

when you go to a website that asks you to pay for stuff online, the webmaster sees your phisical snail-mail address when he sees your IP address,

Being a guy that builds websites, servers, PC's and hacks them all the time I can tell you this statement is total bullshit. YOUR PC remembers this stuff with little things called COOKIES, and send it to the website when it requests it.

Now as far as tracking an IP to a physical address, only the ISP can do that. THey have to get the IP, find the MAC its attached to, find out which MODEM it is and then pull up your billing info. This is all of course if the guy doesnt reboot his modem, or isnt using stolen WiFi or a 4G ISP, if hes using stolen WiFi or 4G service you will never find him.

They don't have access to that kind of information.. some ISP's do however have a sort of a postal code signed in the ip, so you can find out which town they live in.
I remember a few years ago when i actually managed to get a hold of one guys name/home address via his IP.. but if im not mistaken he actually used his ISP's DNS-service(Using his name or something in the DNS-address.).

it's actually illegal for you to access your laptop from another computer, if you are physically in USA when you become able to moniter what's going on in your laptops webbrowser, well then, about 10 min later, the NSA will bust down your door for "hacking" into your own computer

all laptops come with built-in-GPS that normal police can't access, if your laptop's being used by a drug-lord and/or sex-slave-ring-master and/or gun-runner, etc etc, then the DEA and/or CIA and/or ATF etc will find your laptop and you'll never see it again becautse it will be used as evidence against people that aren't you, and your laptop will be stuck in an evidence locker for the rest of you life

you didn't have your laptop password protected so you'd prolly have a hard time proving that it really was yours

iwhen you go to a website that asks you to pay for stuff online, the webmaster sees your phisical snail-mail address when he sees your IP address, so he can send you a paper copy of the bill for the stuff you bought from the website

Dude, whatever you're smoking, I'll have some of that. Probably like a 1/10th of your dose, but still.

there is a product that you could have installed onto your laptop BEFORE it was stolen, that would have allowed you to moniter what's happening on your laptop's webbrowser from your PC, this is a product that's made for parents to buy to spy on what their kids are doing online,

i gotta tell you that, yes, it really is physically possible to do what you're asking us to help you with, but because you didn't already install what i've just described above, it's actually illegal for you to access your laptop from another computer, if you are physically in USA when you become able to moniter what's going on in your laptops webbrowser, well then, about 10 min later, the NSA will bust down your door for "hacking" into your own computer

if you were a congressman/senator/governor/celeb/one of the 50 richest people in america, then the FBI could easily find your laptop for you, but don't they won't do that kind of thing for random people

in terms of getting your laptop back, you're screwed, if you're able to give the local police a specific name and they actually retrieve your laptop from this guy's house, you didn't have your laptop password protected so you'd prolly have a hard time proving that it really was yours, so again, there's the very real risk of your laptop being stuck in a property room for the rest of your life

what i would do, is call your bank/credit card company and then call whatever company your paying if your paying morgatge/rent/car payment, etc etc, and tell all these people that your laptop got stolen, doing this will minimize/get you re-imbursed for any damage caused by your laptop's theif trying to steal your identity

Last edited by a moderator: