Stolen MBP. Need help discretely retaking control of computer.

Yeah, I'm definitely having trouble getting the police to show any interest in this whatsoever.
The guy who initially came out and wrote the police report for me never even filed it.
It was most likely just tossed away.
I've never been through this procedure before I had no clue I was supposed to receive a "report number" or anything of the sort.
Fortunately I have a buddy who's father is a high-up in the ranks here and filled a formal complaint with the Sheriff's Department and had a real cop come down and do a real report for me.

For the one who asked, I got the guy's IP through the account section of the Dropbox website.

The IP hasn't changed a single time since he started using it.
I have a feeling the person wiped the HDD or safe-booted the computer or whatever the terms are.

They don't have access to that kind of information.. some ISP's do however have a sort of a postal code signed in the ip, so you can find out which town they live in.
I remember a few years ago when i actually managed to get a hold of one guys name/home address via his IP.. but if im not mistaken he actually used his ISP's DNS-service(Using his name or something in the DNS-address.).

Maybe not where YOU are but here in the US when you are given your modem they note the number of it to your account. That number connects to their system and therefore is associated with an IP address. Most of them tell you "we dont have that info" but being a networking admin, I can tell you THEY DO. They are just too fucking lazy to go through the channels to get it.

Any device that connects to a network has a MAC and an IP it the only want you can route traffic properly. If your modem wasnt identified on the ISP side you would be seeing other peoples shit pop up on your PC cause the Network wouldn't know where to return the packets.

Major LOL @ YOU'RE_A_FAGGOT.txt (click to view).
GuitarGuru, while this may not pan out the way I'd like it to, I need to at least give it a try.
If I was to call the ISP that the computer is currently using and give the illusion that I knew what I was talking about, how would you suggest attempting to get a hold of this information?
You know the terminology, information channels, ect.
I do not.