Storm of the Light's Bane

BloodSword

Jan 30, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Waiting on Dissection's "Storm of the Light's Bane/ Where Angels go to Die and In Flames-- "Jester Race/ Black Ash Inheritance. Wanted to get forum readers thoughts and impressions. Do you believe Opeth was influenced by In Flames. Peace.:kickass:

Storm of the Light's Bane is a very good album. I like The Somberlain a little better, though. The style is sort of thrashy with some black metal influences. The new album Reinkaos is coming on April 30 in Europe. I thought the singer/guitarist got a longer sentence for murder back in 1997, but he came out of jail back in 2004 and the band released a single called Maha Kali. It didn't seem to be something to get too excited over. The new will be better, hopefully.

Gothenburgh (In Flames, Opeth, Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquillity etc) is just like any other metal scene for the last 20 years. They were influenced by older bands no doubt for example Death Metal and Heavy Thrash that was coming from the UK and US, Morbid Angel, Death, Naplam Death, Slayer. Carcass and At the Gates are probabaly the two earliest bands from the Gothenburgh or Melodic Death scene (Carcass?) but really everyone influenced each other. The almost incestuous In Flames and Dark Tranquillity are the best example of this. As the bands say in numerous interviews, everyone who came from that scene was friends, just like the earlier British, Grindcore (and eventually Death Metal scene), it was, for want of a better word, insular; it's only little niche of friends...like the black circle...but without all the church burning and silliness. Read Mudrain's "Choosing Death", the last two or so chapters deal with this, you might find it quite useful. So yes I'd agree Opeth was influenced by In Flames and vice versa.

So far as i'm aware yes. But more or less any melodic metal to come out of Sweden is reffered to as being art of the Gothenburgh metal scene, i've never heard it reffered to as the Stockholm metal scene. It would make a lot more sense it if was though. And i defiently agree with you about At the Gates, Although i'm slightly hazy on the histroy of Carcass, I know Micheal Amott's Swedish, but are the considered a Gothenburgh band?

Powers said:
So far as i'm aware yes. But more or less any melodic metal to come out of Sweden is reffered to as being art of the Gothenburgh metal scene, i've never heard it reffered to as the Stockholm metal scene. It would make a lot more sense it if was though. And i defiently agree with you about At the Gates, Although i'm slightly hazy on the histroy of Carcass, I know Micheal Amott's Swedish, but are the considered a Gothenburgh band?
i think amottt was the only member of carcass from sweden, i don't recall where the rest were from.

SotLB is a dull, very dated sounding album. I would skip it. It's blandly produced and the songs are stretched out way too long.

TJR, however, is quite good. Concise, memorable songs with clear production and strong melodic leads. Soloing is very good.

I have the storm of the lights bane/where dead angels lie cd. It was the first metal cd I ever bought, and loved it to no end. Actualy, I think I'm going to pop it in my cd player again when still life finishes ^_^