Studio mics

carvedones

May 16, 2007
I need help desiding on what mics to get for my studio. Yesterday i done a little test to see how the jts pdm57 (sm57 copy) compared to the real thing and i must say i wasnt that impressed. My drum mics are jts also. So now i wish to upgrade them.

Mics im after are :
Kick, tom, snare, OH, vocals, bass.

What are your suggestions.

D6 for kick
SM57 snare / vocal.

I'd also get an Audix i5 for the snare, possibly those for the toms as well (see which one you like more) if an MD421 isn't an option, good DI box for bass (and if you must amp try blending the D6 and the i5 or 57), and ANYTHING ELSE for the vocals. The SM57 is insanely hit-or-miss with vocals. If you want an affordable dynamic, go SM58; if you have more money, consider an SM7 or a good condenser mic.

Jeff

I need help desiding on what mics to get for my studio. Yesterday i done a little test to see how the jts pdm57 (sm57 copy) compared to the real thing and i must say i wasnt that impressed. My drum mics are jts also. So now i wish to upgrade them.

Mics im after are :
Kick, tom, snare, OH, vocals, bass.

I've have had good results with all of these

Kick: AKG D112, Audix D6, Shure beta 52/beta 91, Sennheiser e602/e901

Snare: Shure SM57, Röde NT5, Audix i5, Sennheiser e606

Toms: Sennheiser e604/e904, Shure SM57, Shure MD421, Beyerdynamic Opus 87/88, Audix D2/D4

Bass: a good DI-Box, Beyerdynamic Opus 69, Shure SM57, Audix D6, Shure beta 52

Vocals: too much to list, singer dependant really.

Also worth checking for guitars is Shure beta 87a

I'm getting really good results in my studio using:

Kick – Sennheiser e902
Snare top – Sennheiser e905
Snare bottom – Sure SM57
Toms – Sennheiser e604
OHs – Studio Projects C4 (YES they are good!)
Room - Rode NT1A

Vocals - Sure SM58Beta or Rode NT1A
Bass - Direct using SansAmp Bass Driver

:headbang:

For overheads I just picked up a pair of ATM450's. FrontEnd Audio has them for $180 a piece, and they really sound great for the pricepoint.

My SM7 never fails to impress me on vox, guitar, bass, and snare. Remember to take the foam windscreen off. Use a regular pop filter for vox.

Here is what I like:

Kick- AKG D112 or Audix D6
Toms- Sennheiser MD421's or Audix D2's
Snare- Shure SM57
OH- Shure KSM32's or MXL 993's
Vox- Shure SM7B or EV RE20
Bass- I don't normally mic the Bass. Usually D.I.
*but, for the sake of theories... i would most likely go with the Sennheiser e906 or e609 in combination with an AKG D112.

I have a pair of SP C4s and I love 'em. They sound just as good as my ATM450s. Actually thinking about selling the ATM450s and picking up something else, just because the side address design is proving to be a bit of a pain in the ass. At first it sounded like a cool idea, but it makes it a lot harder to visually see where the mics are actually pointing... I really want some 451s...

Updated some of my mics...

1 x Shure SM57
1 x Audix I-5
2 x Audio Technica AT2020

Now im after some mics for my toms. Shure SM57, Audix I5. Im mostly looking at multi-purpose mics at present. So suggest away (not to dear please).