STYE review from Close-Up magazine

Pallbearer

Passive Member
(provided by: Gyroscope from the HMAS.org forum)

IN FLAMES

In the middle of the tour in Galaxy Studios in Mol, Belgium, the guide stops by a window to a control room, and says:
- As you can see they are on a break.
But no, they are not on a break. The In Flames duo Anders Fridén and Björn Gelotte are drinking beer together with the producers Daniel Bergstrand and Örjan Örnkloo (who in the latest year has worked with GREAT DECEIVER, NINE and RAISED FIST). Just like they've done during the whole recording session, day in day out.
- They, who work in the studio, looks at us in a weird way. Every morning they see all the empty beer bottles we put outside the door and yesterday we drank three bottles of Jack Daniels, says Daniel.
Close-Up meets the Swedes November 15:th, six days into the mixing session and the next day is the last (of the session). The recording process took place in a house outside of Fredrikshavn on Jylland (Denmark), where they put together two studios.
The result of this recording is called "Soundtrack to your escape" and is released through Nuclear Blast 29:th of Mars.
- The production and the guitar riffs stands out and i feel there are some thrash-vibes. Myself, I'm more aggressive and straight to the point.
Anders' quick analys pretty much sums it up. The symphonic aspects (programming and harmonic vocals) from Reroute to Remain are still there, but are toned down.
- Do you think it is as discustingly produced as the last record, Daniel asks, and i look at him totally speachless.
What did he really say, the producer of the last record as he is?
- It could have sounded worse than that, says Anders, after the comment that amazed me. We tried out a lot of things vocally, me and him. Maybe we played around a little too much, but the most of it turned out really good.
Thirteen tracks are recorded for this record, but they still don't know how many songs will be on the final product.
It's very safe to say that the vocalists favourite track F(r)iend will be on the record. The working title for this track was "Meat", because of the meaty character. It opens up with crispy CARCASS-riff. These type of riffs has become a trademark for In Flames. There is also a fast passage in the song, and "friend" is growled in suprising death(metal)-style.
- It could be a shocker. We struggled to do a classic metal/death metal song with heaviness, but then i can't growl like Chuck (Schuldiner, DEATH) and guys like that, Anders says with a smile.
He belives that "The quiet place" will be the first single. An emotional song with talked volcas mixed up with angry growls. The backing vocals has a big part in this song.
"Borders and shading" had the working title "Handsome" cause it has a HANDSOME-style guitar part in it.
I noted that the beginning reminds me of PLACEBO(!) and that the chorus has a similar arrangement to DEATHSTARS "Synthetic generation". If these references makes you worried, be calm. It still sounds very IN FLAMES.
Atmospheric "Discover me like emptiness" flies by pretty unnoticed, but "Touch of red" really catches my attention. Super heavy beginning, with down tuned TESTAMENT-like riffs. Good chorus. Could be a single. It stands out.
- I fucking dig it, the frontman says. Hard, old school and more riff than melody based. We did a pre production in Denmark, but this one we wrote afterwards.
"Bottled" continues in the same down tuned style. Note though that this is METAL, not neometal.
Behind the wall of riffs in "Dead alone" lies a melancholic guitar melody, wich sound very much like something Örjan could have been throwing out in his former band "MISERY LOVES CO." The chorus is big and fat, magnificent, and the ending effects sounds really like NINE INCH NAILS, a fact the band members eaven don't deny.
- Trent Raznor is a genius, says Anders. Others in the band don't share his opinion. Örjan likes him too, wich you clearly can hear in the programmings.
- If you say that it sounds like "NINE INCH NAILS", many metal puritans wouldn't understand what you mean, but i understand. Fucking great, it sounds like "NINE INCH NAILS". Go for it! I think it's fucking cool that you can mix something like that into our music and still get it to be our sound.
Aggressive "In search for I" is the essence of the Gothenburg-sound. Friends of "AT THE GATES" will love this song. The same thing for "Superhero of the computer rage". At the end, there's a mangle-riff with a touch of "MESHUGGAH".
"Like you better dead" has a lot of electronics in it, and the synth sound in the middle sounds like NINE NICH NAILS "Head like a hole" distorted.
"Dial 595-escape" had the working title "Godfather" because a guitar-thing is "Godfather"-inspired. And in "My secret shadow" Anders shows that he is good at imitating DEFTONES' Chino Moreno.
And then you guys have wrote yourselves you own "Nothing else matters".
- Oh yeah, wich song is that?
"Evil in a closet" (BTW, maybe the most impressive song on this record)
- The working title for it was "Ballad", but i don't think it really is a ballad. But it is a METALLICA-like song, that slowly builds up to something hard.
To sum this up: "Soundtrack to your escape" is IN FLAMES with the other foot in the early days, and the other foot in present time, struggling for the future.

MARTIN CARLSSON, Close-Up Magazine.

terrible... terrible terrible review. Bad writing and very grammatically incorrect in places. Also, I really hope this guy is kidding when he says there's influences of Chino Moreno, Meshuggah, At The Gates, and Metallica. In Flames needs to keep it In Flames, not model their songs after other bands' songs. I'm guessing by this review, that old thread 'STYE to sound more like Clayman' was all crap? From what I read up there, this looks to be like Reroute, only a tad bit heavier in places. Hmm..... Anyway one can't really trust a review written about a still unreleased album because you gotta listen for yourself.

I hope this album is good...