Successful acts will eventually release a bad record

Vienyard

Arrogant Dickhead
Sep 5, 2002
St. Paul, MN
www.epicureanmetal.com
You know how people are always like "Oh, their albums are shitty. Theyre _______ (insert trendy genre at the time here) now. Why dont they make a record like ______ or _____ (insert band's most classic 2 albums there)? Then they'd be cool again."

That drives me NUTS!! No one will ever duplicate their finest hour. Sure, they could eventually top it in some way down the road or something, but news flash people....THEYRE NOT GOING TO WRITE THE SAME RECORD AGAIN. Well, unless youre out of ideas (copyright Kingy).

How many bands can you think of that have had a long career (signed and releasing albums for at least 10-15 years) that have not had at least one album where you were like "Huh? Uh, no comprende, man. Not a fan." Maybe I'm just a hypercritical and picky bastard, but I cant think of a band thats been around the block for awhile and doing their thing, that hasnt hiccuped musically at least once in their recorded career. IMHO anyway.

There were a few ones that hadnt released many albums, but had been around for awhile so its almost hard to consider them, but in another way, it works the opposite. Whatever. Emperor comes to mind there. But bands like Sabbath, Zeppelin, Kiss, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd and the Rolling Stones of yesteryear, and then Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, and Testament of my generation (and taste), all had slip ups eventually. Some album(s) outright sucked, and some or most fucking ruled. I think I made my point though.

What bands have had a long successful recording career and didnt have one at least near throwaway record? And if you wanna say it, tell us why.

You're right for the most part, but there are a few bands that I like ALL of their albums... some not as much as others, but I do like ALL of them.

Malevolent Creation
Slayer
Pink Floyd

There are bands like Cryptopsy, Suffocation, Nile, Mr Bungle, and a lot more with like 2-4 albums that are all good, but I don't think they count in a discussion like this.

I can't for the life of me think of any other bands with track records I'm completely happy with.

I like every album done by:
My Dying Bride (from their most deathy to their most gothy, every album has that certain quality that I need from them. I don't like every song though)
Bolt Thrower (still yet to hear For Victory, but it's supposed to be good :D )
Borknager

If Maiden hadn't done Virtual XI, I'd like everything by them too ;)

And prior to their last albums, I liked every single SONG by Anathema and Deicide, however both of them released albums that I think suck, so neither of them get onto that list..

I like all albums from a few bands. Nile, Borknagar, Winds (all two :D ) , Cryptopsy, uhhh...without my CDs (i'm at school) thats all i can think of right now.

As far as bands that have been around a while, I think these bands never released a bad album:

Morbid Angel
Death
Emperor
Ulver
Slayer
Opeth
Nile
. . . and probably many more.

I kind of agree with Vienyard. A guy like Lee Hazlewood is my biggest idol at the moment, but there's lots of his songs that I don't like. It's mainly because he makes both country music, countrypop and sad pop songs. I only like the sad ones and a few of the more country stuff.
A band like Opeth I think has just evolved to the better on every single album!
I'm also into 70's funk stuff and my favorite stuff there is P-Funk (Parliament, Funkadelic, George Clinton, Bootsy's Rubberband, etc.). Parliament's "Mothership connection" is the best album I've ever heard, but their "Trombipulation" album only has one good song (which is one of their best though!). The P-Funk stuff also has something to with the time it was released. Parliament's first LP came out in 1969 and was acidrock stuff. They then got more funky in the 70's and in the late 70's it kind of started going downhill, although still writing some classic funk shit. The P-Funk empire fell apart which had something to do with it, but the major thing if you ask me was THE 80's!!!:cry:
I don't know if I would say they sold out or anything. Everything that was good in the 70's had turned to crap by 1981-82!!

Anyway, I don't know if I would say Type O Negative should be on the list. Their albums "Bloody kisses", "October rust" & "World coming down" are all in my top 10 of favorite albums, but "Slow, deep & hard" is a little different. As Peter Steele says himself, it's more of a continuation of Carnivore than Type O Negative. I think it's a good record, but bad compared to the three others. "Origin of the feces" is more or less the same songs just live in the studion. Most bands go downhill instead of just making a bad record in the middle.
I hate bands that start out somewhere and end up a completely different place, but I don't really think you'll be able to find a band that will only release more or less equally good records. Iron Maiden never sold out (at least not if you ask me), but their stuff isn't equally great.

What really ticks me off is when some fuckers call everything nu metal....shit that clearly isnt that style, but theyre all still bitter that theyre not putting out the same record, so they talk really foolish trash about them.