Suffocation gear?

I wouldn't say their recorded tone is AWFUL but it definitely isn't great. It sounds fizzy and not as clear and tight as their live tone but its definitely better than most bdm tones.
It's better than some BDM tones, but the last three albums still sound awful to me. Overall, decent albums other than a little cheesiness from Frank, but that's to be expected. The '90s albums sounded much better, although less impressive amplifiers were used, IMO.

Effigy: VH140
Pierced From Within: Valvestate Marshall through a zone dist pedal
Despise The Sun: I believe was also the VH140
Souls To Deny: VH140?
S/T: POD

Guy uses an od808 and Terrance uses an od-9 now (live at least). I've seen them use all sorts of heads live too, generally either their old VH140's ()only in the states though), 5150's or Fireballs.

Btw, in case anyone is interested, I think that they may have used the line out of the VH140 blended with the mic'd track on Effigy.
Yea I really want a valvestate as well as a triple xxx now. Are you sure they use the od808? I already have a od9+ pro and its pretty good. I'm more into what they are using now live mainly.

It's better than some BDM tones, but the last three albums still sound awful to me. Overall, decent albums other than a little cheesiness from Frank, but that's to be expected. The '90s albums sounded much better, although less impressive amplifiers were used, IMO.
When listening through headphones the last two albums sound pretty brutal.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8RnkpGPAXs&list=FLsgXnhfeo-ZtbVFWudPmc0g&index=3&feature=plpp_video[/ame]

I mean come on its a little fizzy but its still brutal as fuck. Death metal is meant to be played LOUD like through my laptop speakers (which suck complete dick) any metal song will sound like shit.

I'm kinda stuck here though, they use SO many amps but which one will do what I want best? I mean theres the 6505+, triple xxx, valvestate etc. I really want a 8100 as their only like 200-500$ and I don't think they need to be turned up super loud to sound good but so I could use that in my room for practice and stuff but it would be cool to have a beefier amp to mix with when recording and for playing gigs and jams. 6505+ or triple xxx? I know that vader cabs are literally made for triple xxx's and seem to be an ultimate death metal combination plus I could try el34's or kt77s for a tighter sound than 6l6 and most likely better cleans. But everyone says the 6505''s distortion is better than the xxx :confused: It does seem that the people who know how to dial in the xxx and whatnot though think its tighter and more articulate than the 6505 and is better for death metal and the 6505 has more low end, shitload of mids and is basically THE modern metal amp. (as in modern metal I mean like metalcore, deathcore etc.)

It's the song and mix that sound heavy to me, not the guitar tone. If I were you, check out the XXX and 5150 first. I would choose the XXX over the 5150 for tight BDM, but the 5150 can certainly get the sound too, especially boosted. The 8100 and VH140C are cheap but uncommon. Just go play some amplifiers, the local GC or other big retailer probably has both the XXX and 6505 in stock.

I've owned the 212, and a 412/215 stack of Vaders. I sold them and went back to Mesa cabinets and will never even consider another Vader cab.

When listening through headphones the last two albums sound pretty brutal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8RnkpGPAXs&list=FLsgXnhfeo-ZtbVFWudPmc0g&index=3&feature=plpp_video

I mean come on its a little fizzy but its still brutal as fuck. Death metal is meant to be played LOUD like through my laptop speakers (which suck complete dick) any metal song will sound like shit.

I'm kinda stuck here though, they use SO many amps but which one will do what I want best? I mean theres the 6505+, triple xxx, valvestate etc. I really want a 8100 as their only like 200-500$ and I don't think they need to be turned up super loud to sound good but so I could use that in my room for practice and stuff but it would be cool to have a beefier amp to mix with when recording and for playing gigs and jams. 6505+ or triple xxx? I know that vader cabs are literally made for triple xxx's and seem to be an ultimate death metal combination plus I could try el34's or kt77s for a tighter sound than 6l6 and most likely better cleans. But everyone says the 6505''s distortion is better than the xxx :confused: It does seem that the people who know how to dial in the xxx and whatnot though think its tighter and more articulate than the 6505 and is better for death metal and the 6505 has more low end, shitload of mids and is basically THE modern metal amp. (as in modern metal I mean like metalcore, deathcore etc.)

I thought that was a digitech gsp 2101 studio tube or artist serie or something like that on that album. If you record direct with the module you get similar tones. I've seen that module on ebay for sale from one of their guitarists.

Go the XXX. Cheap, great sounding, versatile and a better all round amp for DM. Ive had all 3 amps, 5150, 6505+ and XXX. I sold the other 2 and kept the XXX. I am a big DM head, and whilst the other 2 are great, the XXX is a more saturated poor mans Mesa Recto, thicker and chunkier than the rest. I have an Engl Savage on the way, so I hope it will compliment the XXX. Just sold an Invader. Ive had the XXX for 5 years now and its the only amp I have not turned over, and its the cheapest of the lot, go figure.:D

Go the XXX. Cheap, great sounding, versatile and a better all round amp for DM. Ive had all 3 amps, 5150, 6505+ and XXX. I sold the other 2 and kept the XXX. I am a big DM head, and whilst the other 2 are great, the XXX is a more saturated poor mans Mesa Recto, thicker and chunkier than the rest. I have an Engl Savage on the way, so I hope it will compliment the XXX. Just sold an Invader. Ive had the XXX for 5 years now and its the only amp I have not turned over, and its the cheapest of the lot, go figure.:D
A savage? You lucky bastard! Yea i'm going for the triple xxx as its the only one i've actually played and even at low store volumes it shit all over my amp. Didn't mess with the clean channel though as I was playing an EMG equipped guitar. Now I have to decide between the xxx and the 3120, I know their the same thing but the 3120 actually might match the vader cab :D

Anyone have pictures of a 3120 on top of a regular vader cab? (4x12 preferably)

Hahaha, thanks mate. Stick with the XXX. They are cheaper and you could always customise the faceplate on them if thats whats up your alley. I play EMGs as well, and they work excellently with the XXX. I did the Gary Holt thing and put JJ EL34s in her and I couldn't be happier. I have DM tones and when I am after that Exodus type tone, I wack the EQ3B in front of her. Very versatile, you wont be disappointed.

Can't wait to get the Savage (they are an arm and a leg here in Australia, plus a kidney, although I do have a trick up my sleeve *wink* *wink*), but something tells me that the XXX will still be No1 after she arrives, it always has.

Hahaha, thanks mate. Stick with the XXX. They are cheaper and you could always customise the faceplate on them if thats whats up your alley. I play EMGs as well, and they work excellently with the XXX. I did the Gary Holt thing and put JJ EL34s in her and I couldn't be happier. I have DM tones and when I am after that Exodus type tone, I wack the EQ3B in front of her. Very versatile, you wont be disappointed.

Can't wait to get the Savage (they are an arm and a leg here in Australia, plus a kidney, although I do have a trick up my sleeve *wink* *wink*), but something tells me that the XXX will still be No1 after she arrives, it always has.
Didn't you have a thread over on sevenstring.org or something with a BRJ custom? Or am I thinking of someone else?

The tone is there to represent the material as much as possible.So Despise the Sun wins.Very dark,very brutal,very personal.
There's a metalzone feeling too

images

Looks pretty awesome.

I strongly believe that their tone is in their hands. Sure, they use XXX, 6505,...but that's not the point. I've never witnessed a band as tight as Suffo, and I mean any metal band when I say that. Their playing technique is outstanding.