Suggestions for good orchestral metal?

can you imagine being a square in a classical music playing orchestra and playing for Metallica? must've been pretty funny.

like mentioned earlier, Dimmu Borgir is great, and ff. A few Rammstein songs use an orchestra as well as guest singers.

Or this...

kiss1.jpg

Pain of Salvations 'Be' is an absolute masterpiece. It's not really very metal though... but it has great orchestral arrangements, and it doesn't seem like a gimmick at all.

Buy the two albums from Austrian band Hollenthon... Domus Mundi and With Vilest of Worms to Dwell. They use samples from various soundtracks and write songs around them. The main writer is Pungent Stench's guitarist. A must for orchestral metal. You may also dig Arcturus, Bal-Sagoth, etc...

Yeah. I like Hollenthon. I hope they continue to make music. Fun stuff. Don't know Bal-Sagoth.

Agressor - Symposium Of Rebirth
Mekong Delta - Pictures At An Exhibition
Lacrimosa - Inferno
Waltari - Yeah! Yeah! Die! Die! A Death Metal Symphony In Deep C

Hypnos said:
Agressor - Symposium Of Rebirth
Mekong Delta - Pictures At An Exhibition
Lacrimosa - Inferno
Waltari - Yeah! Yeah! Die! Die! A Death Metal Symphony In Deep C

Those all sound really interesting. How is Mekong's Pictures? I've always liked Moussorgsky, especially with Ravel's orchestrations (I think it was Ravel). Didn't ELP do a version of Pictures?

don't know about ELp. Pictures is a double-CD. the first CD is just band and the second is the band with orchestra.

derbeder said:
malmsteen - concerto for guitar and orchestra

weak orchestration, but yngwie has some ridiculous solos on this one.

did you listen to prelude to april? its actually one of my favourite pieces of music.. just beautiful..

Well.. There is a group like Apocalyptica.
I think Epica uses a real orchestra in the recording studio.
Everygrey - A Night to Remember (dvd or cd).

yes Epica do.

Also try Subterranean Masquerade - not really orchestra, but a small brass and strings section.. more bigband like, but still damn cool ;)

soundave said:
Don't know Bal-Sagoth.

Just look for an album that has song titles almost as long as fuckin short stories...

Listening now to In The Woods... - Omnio, and while I don't think it's a whole orchrestra, there a bunch of violins an stuff like that that add some very nice touches, especially on 299 796 km/s.

Oddly enough, ive always preferred A silver mt.zion (and tra-la-la-la band, and however many names they have)

'He has left us...' is amazing, hell, all of their stuff is, but meh.

for some reason that post actually warranted a normal reply...