suggestions for passive pickups on a mahogany body guitar

brette344

Nov 20, 2009
Pittsburgh,PA
I need to replace the bridge pickup on my carvin because i'm still running the original pick ups it came with. I think its really limiting my tone capability because im not getting the best di tracks.

I've searched on here and other places and got some ideas for what I want to get (some i have in mind are the dimarzio D activator, dimarzio evolutions, and the seymour duncan sh-4) but i was just wondering as of recent what pickups you guys are having good success getting nice tight, full, attacking di tracks. Thanks in advance!

Here you have a great SD pup comparison by Ola.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks guys for all the info! this definitely changed my mind a bit on pickups. Im kind of in a toss up between the custom, the jb, and the distortion. That comparison @Behind provided was awesome but i also found this one and it includes all the ones on this thread lets see what you guys think!

Last edited by a moderator:
^^That video is flawed as hell and makes the Alt8 sounds like absolute shit.

oh really! good thing i posted it and got feedback because when people were suggesting that pickup and I heard it on that video I didnt think it sound great at all. what kind of sound should i expect from the Alt8?

yeah, I don't know what's wrong with the pup in that video.
To me the Alt8 sounds very tight and clean, with a hole in the mids exactly where most mahogany guitars have a honk, it's like the perfect match (not so much for Alder I think).

BTW, I kinda like the DeathBucker I'm trying atm

yeah, I don't know what's wrong with the pup in that video.
To me the Alt8 sounds very tight and clean, with a hole in the mids exactly where most mahogany guitars have a honk, it's like the perfect match (not so much for Alder I think).

BTW, I kinda like the DeathBucker I'm trying atm

more so than the distortion or Alt8?

yeah I was going to go active and do the 81 but i figured i'd just get a good passive pickup because i am planning on get an eclipse II in the future. That way i'd have more options, a good passive guitar and an 81 guitar.