Super Heavy Deathcore! 5150+ENGL (LOOK!)

Sep 4, 2011
Jackson MS
Hey! Overall soundpicture is MUDDY, especially the kickdrum and the guitars. I dont know what you did with the guitars, but they sound really "airy". maybe try HPF and LPF on the guitars, add some presence in the 3-5 khz region and maybe fool around with the mids (more or less, is up to you). The kickdrum kinda pushes everything back...maybe its just too loud, try rolling of at 40 hz or 50, seems you got alot of subs going on in the kick. And if you want the kick to shine trough more, roll off at 62 hz on the bass-guitar (since bassguitars only go down as low as 62 Hz) and the kick will also have more "room" and air to breathe in the mix. Overall, its a good starting point you´re at with this mix, it just needs that polishing finish ;-) Hope i could help you with my info. And btw, i LUV the song!!! Is there any chance i could get those stems to give it a test-shot, only to show you what i can do with the mix and possibly help you out with what i do in mixes?
Cheers, Erik

Fucking...EPIC! The music is sick and i usually don't get into deathcore. Guitars sound a little harsh to me but maybe that's cause i don't listen to this style much. Maybe a little bit dryer, djentier tone might help?

Hey! Overall soundpicture is MUDDY, especially the kickdrum and the guitars. I dont know what you did with the guitars, but they sound really "airy". maybe try HPF and LPF on the guitars, add some presence in the 3-5 khz region and maybe fool around with the mids (more or less, is up to you). The kickdrum kinda pushes everything back...maybe its just too loud, try rolling of at 40 hz or 50, seems you got alot of subs going on in the kick. And if you want the kick to shine trough more, roll off at 62 hz on the bass-guitar (since bassguitars only go down as low as 62 Hz) and the kick will also have more "room" and air to breathe in the mix. Overall, its a good starting point you´re at with this mix, it just needs that polishing finish ;-) Hope i could help you with my info. And btw, i LUV the song!!! Is there any chance i could get those stems to give it a test-shot, only to show you what i can do with the mix and possibly help you out with what i do in mixes?
Cheers, Erik

Wow, that's news to me. I think you might be wrong there dude, where did you pick up that bit of shinfo?

Cheers, Erik

I may post stems if enough people wanted them. The bass is pretty balanced how it is now though. i may try that out with the kick. although i purposely added some 80-100hz on that kick because i wanted a thick but clicky kick for this band. I was going for a slightly darker mix. but i can see where you think it may sound a little muddy. ill post an updated mix either tonight or tomorrow! Really havent gotten too much done with it other than reamps were done on it and just some quick mixing!

Fucking...EPIC! The music is sick and i usually don't get into deathcore. Guitars sound a little harsh to me but maybe that's cause i don't listen to this style much. Maybe a little bit dryer, djentier tone might help?

Haha i actually thought the tone was pretty dark. i may mess around with it a little more though. theres already a shit ton of cuts on this tone so doing too much more to it will start effecting the tone as a whole

Wow, that's news to me. I think you might be wrong there dude, where did you pick up that bit of shinfo?
Hey AEL89! Yeah...maybe i might be wrong (to you), but thats just my cup of tea right there, in other words: thats just basically how i work and how i make my mixes sound good. Everybody´s got different approaches.. In the end it doesnt matter how you process your audio, or if you have million plugins on one track (or none at all), it just comes down to what it sounds in the end.

yea i think i would like trying my hand at this as well :p i think you should brighten up the guitars some. or maybe put the mic a tiny bit closer to the cone to make them sound a little more open?
second one def sounds better tho good job man

Thanks guys! I'll work on getting some stems done pretty soon, they are releasing this song tomorrow so i gotta finish it all up tonight. I do agree that its carrying a little too much low end, so im gonna clean that up a bit before posting the final mix!
\

Listening to the new mix... It's better balanced, IMO. I like how guitars and bass work, and how the vocals cut thru, but drums the kick and the toms are definitely too loud for me.

Listening to the new mix... It's better balanced, IMO. I like how guitars and bass work, and how the vocals cut thru, but drums the kick and the toms are definitely too loud for me.

I kind of like the kick being a little louder for this mix, i may turn it down slightly, but you're definitely right about the toms being too loud. I'm not really even digging those toms anymore, i think i'll be changing them today and posting the final mix because the band is releasing it in a few hours. I'm gonna try to get some stems out after that for whoever wants them