Sweden vs Finland

What do you think?

• Finland

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Sweden

Votes: 55 69.6%

• Total voters
I think so too, because more bands from the Scandinavian area are doing pretty well the last few years.

Well, I voted for Finland, 'cos I really hate bands like In Flames, Dark Tranquility, and especially Opeth. Finland has Kalmah, Satanic Warmaster, Arthemesia, Behexen, Insomnium, Korpiklaani, Moonsorrow, and Turisas going for it.
However, CoB and Norther kinda ruin it.

Sweden does have a lot of good bands, I'll admit, but I really only like Meshuggah, Amon Amarth, and Vintersorg. This list sums up what I hate about Swedish metal. Top 3 bands: Opeth, In Flames, and Dark Tranquillity. Riiiight.

Well, I voted for Finland, 'cos I really hate bands like In Flames, Dark Tranquility, and especially Opeth. Finland has Kalmah, Satanic Warmaster, Arthemesia, Behexen, Insomnium, Korpiklaani, Moonsorrow, and Turisas going for it.
However, CoB and Norther kinda ruin it.

Sweden does have a lot of good bands, I'll admit, but I really only like Meshuggah, Amon Amarth, and Vintersorg. This list sums up what I hate about Swedish metal. Top 3 bands: Opeth, In Flames, and Dark Tranquillity. Riiiight.

Apart from two bands (Candlemass and AtG) that is a dismal list, I agree. So perhaps you should start listening to some quality Swedish metal. You know, like Bathory, Dissection, Sacramentum, Throne of Ahaz, Necrophobic, Carnage, Entombed/Nihilist, Dismember, Unleashed, Merciless, Dawn, Ophthalamia, Crypt of Kerberos, early Therion, early Tiamat, Seance, Eucharist, Carbonized, Hexenhaus, Arckanum, Nifelheim, Sorhin, Funeral Mist, Sigrblot and a plethora of other quality acts.

Although Finland has/had extremely high quality (and I'm not talking about the shitty folk metal the country produces), Sweden wins for sheer quantity and diversity.

Sweden, because Kvarforth is my hero. I cut myself and make out with Maniac on stage, too.

Andreas Hedlund is Swedish too. That earns them points (although I like Borknagar better than Vintersorg, and they qualify as Norwegian).

Well, England can lay claim to Black Sabbath.

But lots of traditional epic/heavy metal bands started in America:

Manilla Road
Cirith Ungol
Manowar

These guys had a huge impact on metal.

England also has claim to Venom, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, and lots of other early bands.

England has a lot of the bands that started or helped start specific genres of metal.

Apart from two bands (Candlemass and AtG) that is a dismal list, I agree. So perhaps you should start listening to some quality Swedish metal. You know, like Bathory, Dissection, Sacramentum, Throne of Ahaz, Necrophobic, Carnage, Entombed/Nihilist, Dismember, Unleashed, Merciless, Dawn, Ophthalamia, Crypt of Kerberos, early Therion, early Tiamat, Seance, Eucharist, Carbonized, Hexenhaus, Arckanum, Nifelheim, Sorhin, Funeral Mist, Sigrblot and a plethora of other quality acts.

Although Finland has/had extremely high quality (and I'm not talking about the shitty folk metal the country produces), Sweden wins for sheer quantity and diversity.

word. good post!