Swedish Black Metal

Nov 26, 2005
Italy
I'm curious to know if among Swedish Death Metal and Hypocrisy fans there's someone who likes Swedish BLACK Metal. Is it good for you? What are your favorite bands?

2z5splg.jpg

R.I.P.

:worship:

Dark Funeral of course

Dissection = awesome. Unhallowed is one of my fave BM song ever

Im not very familiar with Naglfar and Sacramentum though I will check em out for sure

i think Dissection is one of the swedish BM statements

also Down, Arckanum (the album Kostogher is fuckin awesome!!), Watain, Dark Funeral, Marduk... aaaaaand do you know The Abyss??? :)heh:) hahaha

Most bands were already mentioned but there are also

Shining

Morbid (the best swedish BM band imo)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkHcdrQmWFg&feature=related[/ame]

^ Glad you like it

I forgot to mention Mörk Gryning . Their first album is great. The two members were only 15 and 17 years old on that album.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB2i6O7cAG8&feature=related[/ame]

hypocrisy has been one of my favorite bands for almost a decade now, but i didn't really explore swedish black metal until 2007 because the fanbase is horrible.
in 2007, and since then, i dove in and waded through tons of really shit music but came away with some real gems in my collection.
i should add i don't like dimmu borgir or emperor style black metal, there's no symphonic bullshit here.
maybe someone will find this list useful.

Istapp (melodic black metal)
Malign
Profundi (jens ryder's band since he left naglfar - very good stuff)
Lord Belial (1997 album only)
Watain
Triumphator
Funeral Mist
Zavorash
Chaos Omen (if you like funeral mist you'll automatically like this)
Throne of Ahaz
Torchbearer (yersinia pestis CD)
Deathwitch (black thrash)
Nifelheim (black thrash)
Shade of Black (members from ofermod & ondskapt - better than both of those groups)
Thy Primordial
Sorhin
Setherial ('94-'99 after that they're pretty boring)
Svartsyn (2005-now this band is outstanding)
Sacramentum (far away from the sun CD - if you like storm of the lights bane you'll automatically like this)
Vinterland (similar to dissection/sacramentum, at a lower tempo)
Dawn (see above^ same deal here)
Cardinal Sin (jon zwetsloot's band after he left dissection, sounds like a cross between dissection and lunar strain-era in flames),
Dissection
Naglfar (vittra and diabolical CDs)
The Moaning (melodeath/black crossover members from gates of ishtar, scheitan, etc.)
Necrophobic (this band is outstanding - every CD)
In Aeternum (especially forever blasphemy and the pestilent plague CDs)

and i didn't really want to add this band as i don't consider them black metal, but they kind of are. in my eyes they are about the same as hypocrisy, they go from death metal to black metal to melodic metal with the greatest of finesse and unearthly grace.

UNANIMATED (the best of the best, they started it all. three cds over 20 years and a new one coming out this year.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know arckanum was already mentioned but you really should hear this song, its stunning, one of my favorite albums of 2009 :yow: also watch the video he did for gava fran trulen, most hilarius black metal video I've ever seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone knows War (Swe)? Peter plaid drums in them and their 2 albums are excellent. Genuine and raw old school Black Metal.

Yes those albums are sum of the best! The band name was changed to TOTAL WAR! :D

Ah, I didn't know. Are they still playing?

not sure. got this from wikipedia! :devil:

The band had to change its name to Total War as there was already another band called War and was put on hold in 2001, but released "We Are...Total War", a compilation of material released before.