sweeping

seed2003

Bringer of Jello!
Sep 3, 2004
Menahga MN
ncorp.50megs.com
ok when i do sweeps i ten to move my pick hand in a curveish type motion and for quick sweeps like in trilogy suite i do a circular pattern. Now my friend keeps telling me thats the wrong way to do stuff i think it's alot cleaner. Any comments?

Are you talking about your picking hand or your fretting hand? The more you can keep your fretting hand straight without bending your wrist left or right the cleaner you will be. That's just a matter of how your fingers come of the strings (directly and cleanly, or angled which makes a pull off noise). The picking hand is less of a big deal. as long as the pick stays relativly unangled you can move left and right if that is more comfortable for you. I used to do that a lot, and I don't so much anymore, but it never really changed the sound and precision of the sweeps.

SyXified said:
Are you talking about your picking hand or your fretting hand? The more you can keep your fretting hand straight without bending your wrist left or right the cleaner you will be. That's just a matter of how your fingers come of the strings (directly and cleanly, or angled which makes a pull off noise). The picking hand is less of a big deal. as long as the pick stays relativly unangled you can move left and right if that is more comfortable for you. I used to do that a lot, and I don't so much anymore, but it never really changed the sound and precision of the sweeps.

I was talking about my picking hand, but i never knew a straight hand makes less noise sweeping, thanx!

i know that they do make it a little bit harder to do.....but its odd that that it makes it sloppier....hmmmm. Well if its easier for you to not hold it parallel and you are still sounding clean....then well, keep doing that lol

I too have a problem with my picking hand curving inward towards my wrist when doing Upstrokes on a sweeping pattern or arpeggio pattern. Is there a way to keep it more in a smooth direction then curving?

bball_1523 said:
I too have a problem with my picking hand curving inward towards my wrist when doing Upstrokes on a sweeping pattern or arpeggio pattern. Is there a way to keep it more in a smooth direction then curving?

I think it has something to do with how you rest your picking hand when playing, i palm mute alot so i keep mine anchored above the bridge so when i sweep my hand moves like that, thats my observation on my playing at least.
I also noticed that i do less curve on longer sweeps and on 2 or 3 string patterns i tend to do the circle thing lol Im not sure if its detremental to my playing or not but it's fairly clean i guess

seed2003 said:
I think it has something to do with how you rest your picking hand when playing, i palm mute alot so i keep mine anchored above the bridge so when i sweep my hand moves like that, thats my observation on my playing at least.
I also noticed that i do less curve on longer sweeps and on 2 or 3 string patterns i tend to do the circle thing lol Im not sure if its detremental to my playing or not but it's fairly clean i guess

that's possible since I'm obsessed with palm muting as I love playing thrash riffs lol.

I am not too clean on sweeps either, I tend to let notes ring into each other, but it's so hard to not. My hands are really small too, can that have an affect on how clean and how circular I sweep pick?

bball_1523 said:
that's possible since I'm obsessed with palm muting as I love playing thrash riffs lol.

I am not too clean on sweeps either, I tend to let notes ring into each other, but it's so hard to not. My hands are really small too, can that have an affect on how clean and how circular I sweep pick?

Yeah i used to play alot of metallica and megadeth and i palm mute alot too lol
the small hands are going to make your sweeps a little harder to do, i like having long fingers :D but practice more and over time you'll notice them getting cleaner. I should let the others tell you, ive never been to a teacher so i could be wrong lol

That's my problem...I've kinda been losing practice lately...I've been playing for about 2 1/2 years, and I just kinda work on original material rather than trying to improve as a guitarist overall. I really gotta start getting back into scaling and stuff...Or else I'm going to suck as much as I do forever! Lol.