Switching to broadband

Wrathchild

Miserable Bastard
Apr 16, 2001
Enfield, South Australia
Visit site
My current dialup account is paid until April. When it expires I've decided to make the move to ADSL2 and thus put an end to the constant arguments about my clogging up the phone line :yuk:.

The plan I'm looking into is a two year contract at $39.95 a month with a 250 mb download limit. This includes a free modem, but since I have no idea how to install the wretched thing myself, I'm looking at a setup fee as well.

Jury's out, folks. Does this sound like a good deal to you or should I keep shopping around?

w

$40 at 250mb seems a little excessive. 250mb goes out the window like *that* (clicks fingers) by the way.

We're paying $30 for 200mb at the mo (cos we moved up to Mildura and wanted to keep our account at Bigpond) so we're essentially paying $15 each for nothing, but that sounds as good a deal as yours, yet cheaper.

I take it you're not looking at paying around $60? There are plenty of unlimited plans around the $60 mark - and you don't have to pay for the local calls so it does even out.

Thanks for that. Best to keep my options open I think, especially if I want to download forthcoming Doctor Who episodes and other shiny things :).

Wary as I am of Bigpond, those rates don't sound too bad. Hmmmm...

W

We just signed up with Bigpond last week. $0 installation and 50% off for the first twelve months sold me, especially when compared to $41/month dial-up plus $25/month on phone calls = more than what it's going to cost now.

250Mb limit is not enough. Seriously. It sounds like heaps now you're on dial up, but when you find yourself being able to download huge files in half an hour or less, it's just going to seem like nothing. Hell, I'd probably use 250 Mb a month on email, and I don't even get that much email.

The Doctor Who episodes I was downloading were about 380Mb each. I'd recommend at *least* a 1Gig account. I've currently got a 12Gig peak limit/24 Gig offpeak limit, and I'm using about a quater to half of that, and my downloads have been down considerably with the bub and all.

Also, don't pay to get someone to install it for you. I can barely figure out how to turn my PC on and I installed broadband myself. If you can't do it, find a pal who can. Don't pay for Bigpond to send some goose out to do it.

This Adam mob offer 10,000 mb a $40 a month, which is a *lot* more appealing than 250. If I go over that I'll get bumped down to a 64k connection, which would be pretty noticeable but better than being charged extra.

The setup/connection stuff I can probably take care of myself. Fiddling about installing modems, on the other hand, fills me with absolute dread. Fortunately I know just the chap who can do it in return for a copy of Neverwhere.

Phlog, did you also get the Dr Who Confidential documentaries that were on BBC3 after every new episode this year? I can send them your way if you like, once I get the hang of this DVD burning lark.

W

OH! No, I didn't, I didn't really know what they were until after the fact, and then I didn't really bother with them. If you're up and burning I'll grab 'em.

Edited versions of every episode (plus a special one about the making of the Christmas special) are included on the new complete season box set, but as far as I know they've had to cut out all references to the vintage series and a few music passages they couldn't get the clearances for.

My home made copies are all (thankfully) uncut. I got them courtesy of an old school friend with a cable connection and a lot of spare time :). If you're interested, he also threw in Scream Of The Shalka (the animated thing with Richard E Grant) and the remake of The Quatermass Experiment with David Tennant in a supporting role.

W

Im currently with TPG (http://www.tpg.com.au) and pay $80 a month with a 50gig download limit. Ive only ever passed 50 gig once but I still get very close - usually around 47/48 gig. However they don't offer this plan anymore but they have 25gig for $69.95

Watch out for some providers which include uploads in your monthly quota... I believe bigpond do it. While it doesn't seem like much, if you are downloading stuff the uploads do add up.

Been thinking of switching to broadband myself. Currently with SENet paying $28 per month with unlimited downloads, which isnt too bad I rarely download stuff these days but if you can get free local calls included at a rate of $50 a month with broadband, i think im sold. Bigpond you say Mr.Ripper?

Anyone looking a broadband could do worse than checking out the Broadband Choice section of the whirlpool site.

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/

Basically you just enter your details and what you're looking for, and it will give you a list of all the providers available to you and the appropriate plans.