Sydney Metallica show...

spawn

Apr 14, 2001
I just got back, im sleeping at work tonight as its already 1145pm as I write this and I would have had to get up at 430am so its easier to just sleep in one of the spare control rooms.

The Datsuns got absolutely crucified, it was pretty funny, there were big chants of "Fuck off" and "Get off" and so on. Also, during the second song everyone around me started pissing themselves laughing, I turned around and everyone on the floor had their middle finger in the air, it was hilarious. Maybe you had to be there :)

The Datsuns are boring, all they do is play one riff for the whole song. I hate retro garage 70s rock. Why couldnt they be more like Iron Maiden or something?

Then there was an interminable wait for Metallica. OVER A BLOODY HOUR. I was so damn sore it wasnt funny and beginning to wonder why I came. But then FINALLY the intro tape started and I was 4 people from the front! But then halfway through the intro tape I realised I could not breathe and I had to try and move, it was pretty difficult. I finally got back a few people and could breathe (a little) and then... The intro to Blackened started! Yay, no Fight Fire With Fire! :headbang:

I have no idea what it looked like from up in the seats, but down where I was it was like a fucking warzone, I managed to stay almost the entire set at a Slayer show at the front, here I lasted halfway through Blackened and it was either move or collapse, I wasnt in a very good way, Blackened rocked though! :headbang:

The heat was ridiculous, it was hard to breathe down where I was, and I couldnt even sing along because of it. Well I could, but I dont think James heard me unless he was listening pretty hard. The crowd was singing along so loudly to everything I couldnt hear the band sometimes, it rocked, so much.

I cant remember the order of the setlist, but my friends, lend me your ears, for something beyond magical did happen. I saw the setlist from the Brissy show, so after One I figured it was just Sandman and 2 covers and thats it. And then...

:worship: :worship: THEY PLAYED MASTER OF FUCKING PUPPETS! :worship: :worship:

:worship: :worship: OH WAIT, IT WAS THE ENTIRE FUCKING SONG! :worship: :worship:

Im so tired and sore right now, tomorrow is going to suck, but tonight ruled :headbang:

Of course, you guys do realise that (obviously) Metallica reads my posts, how else could you explain them adding Blackened and the full Master Of Puppets in the set? Coincidence? I think not.

I think I may have missed one or two songs, and they arent in order, but heres what I remember:

Blackened
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
The Thing That Should Not Be
Frantic
Sad But True
Dirty Window
Harvester of Sorrow
One
Seek and Destroy
Nothing Else Matters
Creeping Death

Master Of Puppets

St. Anger
Whiplash

Enter Sandman
So What
Hit The Lights

THE WHOLE THING! Everyone sang along to the harmony bit Iron Maiden style as well, it was fucking awesome, I cant believe how loud the crowd were :headbang:

Found this on www.metontour.com

"That was better than fucking Brisbane", a fan yelled to me, right after the show.
Do I agree? Well, I think somehow the crowd here won the LOUD award of the week. On top of that, the almost over excited fans were flying over the barricader like CRAZY.

Alright then, but how about the setlist? We had a different setlist, with a lot of joking around in between (and during) the songs.

Yes, but how about the band performance. Not to say anything about previuous shows and performances, but did the guys not step it up pretty good?? I think they did....

Blackened
Fuel
Seek and Destroy
The thing that should not be
Frantic
Creeping Death
Dirty Window
Sad But True
One
Whiplash
-------------------
Harvester of Sorrow
Nothing Else Matters
Master Of Puppets (Full version)
-------------------
St. Anger
Enter Sandman
-------------------
So What
Hit The Lights

Theres the full setlist in order too.

Why do they have to interchange Blackened for Fight Fire With Fire and Whiplash for Damage Inc.? It's like they're only allowed a certain quota of fast songs per set. I want a set with Blackend, Fight Fire with Fire, Whiplash, Damage Inc AND Battery dagnammit!

I bet ya Perth BDO will be the shittest set of all... and I paid $100 just to see them... well I didn't cos I got it for xmas... but still...

:kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

I am so fucking sore at the moment, but god damn it was worth it!

I bought my ticket last night, and ended up seated within spitting distance of the stage. I got the shock of my life when they played the entire version of MoP... and I think I wasn't the only one. That probably got the biggest reaction all night (other then the start of the show of course)

It's amazing how much a solo and a proper mix can improve a song... I heard many people walking away asking "why couldn't they put those versions of Frantic and Dirty Window on the cd... they fucking rocked!"

:worship: :worship: :worship:

I thought the St. Anger stuff was boring, it only sounded better because the only way it could have been worse was if Lars bought a trash can out on stage :)

Coops: I dont think people could handle a setlist of that magnitude, they had to throw St. Anger stuff in there to calm us down, or maybe they are too old to play that many fast songs now :)

Blackened
Creeping Death
Harvester of Sorrow
For Whom The Bell Tolls
Frantic
Sad But True
Dirty Window
Seek and Destroy
Fade to black
Battery
--------
St. Anger
Nothing Else Matters
Master of Puppets
--------
One
Enter Sandman

That was the set at the Gold Coast BDO.

Meh. I've decided that Master of Puppets is the worst song in the history of music, so I no longer care that it wasn't played at Brisbane. Blackened is pretty lame too.

Therefore, Brisbane was better than Sydney. There.

Puppets rocked :headbang:
One was fuckin AWESOME

And was it just me, or did they start playing the intro to Run to the Hills at one point during the encores??

Cheesiest line of the night award goes to James:

"WE ARE METALLICA.... AND SO ARE YOU!" :lol:

One was brilliant :headbang: Those damn flash things hurt my eyes though! And when the first one went off I nearly shit my pants ceydn style, it came out of nowhere.

Spiff said:
Meh. I've decided that Master of Puppets is the worst song in the history of music, so I no longer care that it wasn't played at Brisbane. Blackened is pretty lame too.

Therefore, Brisbane was better than Sydney. There.
Yeah I suppose, I mean you guys did get Fight Fire With Fire after all... *Giggle*

spawn said:
Yeah I suppose, I mean you guys did get Fight Fire With Fire after all... *Giggle*
Im sorry, that was uncalled for. Im just still over excited.