Symphonic/melodic Heavy Metal - updated mix, thanks to Sneap forum

Nov 6, 2002
Ireland
Visit site
Based on the advice of the good people of the Sneap forum, I've boosted the rhythm guitars and reduced the vocals for these tracks. Also added a little EQ to the vox and guitars so I'm hoping the guitars don't sound thin/weak anymore (sounds a bit meatier now?) and the vocals hopefully sound less dynamic...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=910049&songID=7476079
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=910049&songID=7476082

(btw, Ignore the first 50 seconds of Wayfarer - still needs to be mixed properly - I'm really just looking for advice on the mix where you can hear vocals).

does the mix sound listenable enough? Are the vocals sitting ok now, or do they need to be brought forward? Any tips appreciated at this late stage cos this one has to be mastered next week!!

Yup, I know some people will still say the guitars need boosting but...

Many thanks to paladin, unavailable, jason poulin, et.al for advice last time around.

PS.

Well, I don't know the first version but still guitars have more deepness than the vocals and this doesn't sound cool. When the guitar melody finishes and vox begin, it sounds so dry next to the guitars.

how are the guitar tracks panned? Your vocals are pretty loud in comparison to the rest of the tracks. drums are kinda buried. Not my style but Vocals are pretty impressive - in tune and harmonies are pretty cool.

Thanks for listening dudes... and thanks for the nice comments about the singing!

88mph - what do you mean by deepness? Is it low end / bassiness? Perhaps the vocals sound too thin or something? (or possibly just too loud)?

The guitar tracks are panned about 50% R and 50% left - should I pan them more? I will need to turn those drums up a bit also...

I'm quite new to all this, and it's my first production so any tips will help!

Btw, do you like the guitar tone?

I mean reverb. You've placed the melodic guitars so deep in the mix with so much reverb (well not that much). And when the vox come out, it sounds so dry and so loud next to those guitars. Simply it doesn't fit in the mix. And one more thing, if you do some hi-cut on all the instrument tracks (except for vox), it may sound more full.

Hey 88, thanks for your advice man...

So you are saying I should hi-pass filter everything except vox? I'm not sure I want the mix to lose the bass end too much...

So maybe I should just try and put more reverb or colour on the vocals? Maybe less compression?

What else can I do to make the vocals less dry??

I can see where you're coming from now...

Altho, I think the vocals sound less dry on "Wayfarer", what do you think?

Yes, you're right. Wayfarer's vox fits better than the other one. About hi-cutting, I don't think you'll lose the low-end. Since you're a melodic metal guy like me, I'm gonna be more specific on this subject:)

Guitars have no body. They sound like Gamma Ray's guitars but with lots of hi-boost and that makes them sound like mosquitos. These kinda songs needs more fatness. Like Stratovarius' guitars on their good times or Edguy's Hellfire Club (even fatter on Rocket Ride).

If I were you, first I'd boost highs and high mids just a little on the vocals, and cut lots of highs on the guitars.

Then we'll talk about other issues. And if you dont mind, I'd like to mix these songs. If you could upload the raw tracks (with DIs and midi) , I'll give it a try.

Guitars have no body. They sound like Gamma Ray's guitars but with lots of hi-boost and that makes them sound like mosquitos. These kinda songs needs more fatness. Like Stratovarius' guitars on their good times or Edguy's Hellfire Club (even fatter on Rocket Ride).

If I were you, first I'd boost highs and high mids just a little on the vocals, and cut lots of highs on the guitars.

Then we'll talk about other issues. And if you dont mind, I'd like to mix these songs. If you could upload the raw tracks (with DIs and midi) , I'll give it a try.

Hey dude, thanks again for your input..

Yes, I understand what you mean about the guitar sound. I'm actually kind of going for that Gamma Ray sound but I would like it less like a "mosquito", I will try some more EQ to filter that out, but it's not easy cos I'm limited with the "Revalver" sound. I will listen to some Edguy and see what you mean. I really want it to sound more like Ayreon or even Power Quest.

Of course I don't mind if you want to mix it! :) Do you use Logic Pro? If you do, I can upload the full projects. Otherwise I will need to bounce everything - I can do that tonight and upload it raw. Some of the tracks use automation on the panning/volume. Will I just leave them all at 0 when bouncing ?

Do you have gmail?