Symphony X N00b

beowulf1969

Aug 21, 2011
Well, I am admittedly a SymX n00b. I've actually only been listening for the better part of a year or so. But I am entranced by what I know. I was able to procure their entire discography, and only after a few listens I am utterly hooked. Russ' voice is magical.

But it seems that the die-hard fans have been... disappointed in the setlists of late. As someone who has never seen them live (I didn't get into them in time to catch them in February in Dallas), I think the recent setlists have been fantastic. It also seems that I am not the only one looking for a good live audio and video of a recent show.

Anyone have any recommendations of albums to pay closer attention to? So far, the tracks that have really stuck out are:
Accolade I/II
Electric Messiah
Iconoclast
End Of Innocence
Lord Of Chaos
Children of a Faceless God
When All Is Lost
Frontiers
Set The World On Fire
Serpent's Kiss
Paradise Lost
Sacrifice

Thanks, all! Hopefully, there will be an official video of the most recent tour.

But it seems that the die-hard fans have been... disappointed in the setlists of late.

Yes, because the last two albums have been disappointing and the recent setlists seem to deny all other albums, the albums that got most fans hooked in the first place.

All albums from Divine Wings up to The Odyssey are where it's at. Greatness all around. If you like the Divine Wings a lot, you'll like the Damnation Game too. Classic Symphony X, but with some weaker songs and a rougher mix. The debut album has some good moments too, but I'd save that for later.

Take V and go live in the desert for a while.

A n00b you shall no longer be, for you will come back fully enlightened.

Accolade I/II
Electric Messiah
Iconoclast
End Of Innocence
Lord Of Chaos
When All Is Lost
Frontiers
Set The World On Fire
Serpent's Kiss
Paradise Lost
Sacrifice

Some highlight tracks you didn't mention include: The Divine Wings of Tragedy, The Odyssey, Church of the Machine, The Edge of Forever, Through the Looking Glass, Egypt, Communion & The Oracle etc.

Accolade I/II
Electric Messiah
Iconoclast
End Of Innocence
Lord Of Chaos
When All Is Lost
Frontiers
Set The World On Fire
Serpent's Kiss
Paradise Lost
Sacrifice

You seem to prefer the more commercial side of the band. There's nothing wrong with that, but many of us here prefer the progressive side, which is why we're disappointed with the recent set lists.

Both Paradise Lost and Iconoclast are quality albums (particularly the former), but it's a different kind of quality than the albums prior to them. The songwriting on the "older" albums was less compact, more ambitious, and more adventurous, as opposed to the "playing it safe" vibe of the more recent releases.

The songs you listed (barring the Accolades, Iconoclast, Frontiers, and possibly When All Is Lost) are evidence of this more commercial metal sound. Frontiers is a bit different from the typical Symphony X sound, which is the reason why it wasn't included on The Odyssey.

Start with V, then maybe listen to the live album. That's a setlist. Some of the songs are better live, especially Sea of Lies, although it was apparently one of the overplayed songs until (somewhat) recently.

Some highlight tracks you didn't mention include: The Divine Wings of Tragedy, The Odyssey, Church of the Machine, The Edge of Forever, Through the Looking Glass, Egypt, Communion & The Oracle etc.

I was merely listing the songs I like. I didn't necessarily "forgot" to mention them.

As far as the idea that "the "older" albums was less compact, more ambitious, and more adventurous, as opposed to the "playing it safe" vibe of the more recent releases", I agree. I have been listening to the older material. I am liking it but, as most prog goes, its taking me a bit longer to really get into it. Those songs I listed seemed to just jump out and grab ahold of me.

Got hooked after listening to V. I can't say which record is the best because starting from Divine Wings they've only released absolute killer albums. The first is crap (because of the singer), The Damnation Game has it's moments but it doesn't stand a chance comparing to the later works.

The last two are a little bit more straight forward. Not sure if it's going to be the road they'll stick to or should stick to. The songs are good no doubt about that. I love Bastards Of The Machine, Light Up The Night, Iconoclast, Heretic and When All is lost. It's just that when it comes to live shows the setlist in my opinion should be a catalog of the bands history. Not just the last record.

I tend to like their newer albums more than their older ones. Paradise lost and Iconoclast are albums which you can clearly hear Russell's "magical" voice. Thats probably because of the excellent production.

I think I'm on the fence as far as Russell's voice. There definitely seems to be a bit more diversity in the earlier albums, but no matter what, there is simply no denying his overall vocal prowess.

Well, I am admittedly a SymX n00b. I've actually only been listening for the better part of a year or so. But I am entranced by what I know. I was able to procure their entire discography, and only after a few listens I am utterly hooked. Russ' voice is magical.

But it seems that the die-hard fans have been... disappointed in the setlists of late. As someone who has never seen them live (I didn't get into them in time to catch them in February in Dallas), I think the recent setlists have been fantastic. It also seems that I am not the only one looking for a good live audio and video of a recent show.

Anyone have any recommendations of albums to pay closer attention to? So far, the tracks that have really stuck out are:
Accolade I/II
Electric Messiah
Iconoclast
End Of Innocence
Lord Of Chaos
When All Is Lost
Frontiers
Set The World On Fire
Serpent's Kiss
Paradise Lost
Sacrifice

Thanks, all! Hopefully, there will be an official video of the most recent tour.

I noticed you don't have any tracks from V: The New Mythology Suite on your list. Have you checked out that album yet? Quite a few of my favorite Symphony X songs ever are on that album.

I have been listening to more, and I'll update my list soon. Then we'll see if it falls more in line with the rest of you.