SYMPHONY X: NEW SONG AVAILABLE FOR STREAMING

Old school-solo part sounds better in live version...I'm talking about the rhythm behind it. I think the guitar playing some kind of variation of the main riff is needless. But anyways, I really like the song, and I'm sure I will like it more!

And people laughed at me when I pitched the idea that moving to Nuclear Blast would affect their output.

It hasn't. The only thing it has affected is which singles were chosen - by the label - to be used as promotion. If they were still on IO, they'd have either chosen the songs themselves, or odds are that IO, being a prog label, would've chosen some of the proggier material. The label had nothing to do with the music the band created, they just handle how it's promoted.

Is NB calling the shots for the setlist too? Would kind of make sense since half of it is from their biggest album so far...

No. I'm going to guess that the guys went with songs they were familiar with playing because they had VERY little time (as compared to their usual 6 weeks or more) to rehearse together before heading to Europe, & then out on the road here. I'm 95% sure that we'll be doing another setlist poll once Iconoclast has been released, like we have for the last 2 cds, to give the guys an idea of what you all want to hear (even then, half the fans will complain anyway, but at least they've had had a chance to have their say). Remember, this is just something of an interim tour, it's not actually in support of the new cd; the next tour , which WILL be in support of the new cd, will undoubtedly contain a LOT of material from Iconoclast.

I'm not quite sure if the label has any say as to what material the band plays live. I would doubt it, though.

While I'm sure the label likely encouraged them to play new material, you are correct, they don't actually have any control over what the guys play out on tour.

The album is gonna :headbang:, there is no doubt about that!

I wonder about something... A band usually makes more songs than those which are chosen to be on any given album, right? What happens to the songs that are left over? Fan club CD mayhaps? :D

Or are there Symphony X songs out there somewhere in the world destined not to receive any love? :(

Some of them end up being morphed into different songs (for example, the first fan club cd has the demo for 'Gates of Misery' on it, which later ended up turning into 'Eyes of Medusa'), some end up being picked apart and pieces are used later, & some do end up on fan club cds (can't wait to see what material MJR will send over for the next one.. *chomps at bit*).

Are you referring to the keyboard hitting the diminished chord? I'm not quite sure how that's a "signature Dream Theater thing."

It started popping up everywhere in prog metal and neo-prog after the release of Images and Words or thereabouts. I could be wrong, though - I'm not an authority on the history of the genre.

If they were still on IO, they'd have either chosen the songs themselves, or odds are that IO, being a prog label, would've chosen some of the proggier material.
Hmm...but wasn't Serpent's Kiss used to promote PL? :confused:

In any case, I think it's at least a slight case of denial to say that this doesn't form a feedback loop for the band and encourage less progressive material. Like I've said before, labels have cultures surrounding them that they pull you into. There's a reason beyond just the size of the label that SX is going to Nuclear Blast and not Cuneiform - I think it would be hard to deny. Nuclear Blast just does not generally sign adventurous bands, and it is not a label that values innovation.

Bring out the switch, you son of a bitch
afPfJ.jpg

The only thing it has affected is which singles were chosen - by the label - to be used as promotion.

Hmmm... so you're saying that Inside Out chose STWOF and Serpent's Kiss as singles from PL, and that the band had no say in it? I always thought those two were odd choices; Eve, the title track, or even Domination would have made better singles in my opinion.

Also, doesn't MJR generally prefer the proggier, more orchestrated songs?

Bring out the switch, you son of a bitch
afPfJ.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

i just realized something. The groove and melody of the verses in Dehumanized could definitely be in Russell´s Atomic Soul, i get the same feel from it than Blackout or any other song from Allen´s project. more obscure rock than metal oriented IMO. anyone else notice this?

The groove and melody of the verses in Dehumanized could definitely be in Russell´s Atomic Soul, i get the same feel from it than Blackout or any other song from Allen´s project. more obscure rock than metal oriented IMO. anyone else notice this?

I agree with you, although the verse riff does have some Symphony X-ish elements to it that aren't normally found in rock, like the harmonic minor notes (every 4th measure).

I gotta admit it grew on me a little. I find it pretty cool in the "heavy progressive metal song" sense (and also what Xtopher said).

Mind you I like it better than End of Innocence which I don't think I'll listen to that much ever again. That "feel my pain" chorus bores me to death now. :p

Mind you I like it better than End of Innocence which I don't think I'll listen to that much ever again. That "feel my pain" chorus bores me to death now. :p

I also greatly prefer Dehumanized, and I'll probably get sick of End of Innocence by the time the album comes out, to be honest. Dehumanized just has a lot more meat to it; End of Innocence is a standard, straightforward song that might be cool at concerts but less so on the album.